2002 Honda CR-V Standard 2.4 four cylinder from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A perfect all rounder

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is a great car - amazingly practical, performs well and excellent value for money.

Ideal for either long trips (the kids love it) or around town. Looks OK too.

The torque steer I read about in reviews, hasn't been a problem at all.

It is a bit noisier than expected though, and the front wheels spin pretty easily on take-off unless you're careful.

Before buying the CRV I tested a Nissan X-Trail and a Mazda Tribute V6 - both were pretty good, but I certainly haven't regretted buying the Honda.

Review Date: 1st May, 2003

20th Jan 2009, 17:19

I am the writer of the original review and still own the car 7 years later. In that time it has been problem-free, so if my experience is typical, I can certainly recommend the CRV for reliability. I'm not that keen on the look of the current shape CRV, so when I replace it in the next couple of years I'll probably be going for a Nissan X-Trail. However, we have just bought another Honda - a Jazz GLi manual - to replace a Toyota Echo as our second car.

22nd Jan 2013, 16:11

Great to see your feedback after 7 years mate. NZ new cars in general have been lot more reliable compared to many others. I just bought one, and looking at 2002 review freaked me out. Then I started looking up for NZ/Aus reviews, and I'm glad to hear they have been reliable.

2002 Honda CR-V EX from North America

Summary:

A great buy

It has really been a great car.

General Comments:

This car is running really great.

When we first got it, about a month later we noticed this clunk sound whenever you apply the brakes, or even when you apply the brakes after you take it out of gear. We finally found out that all Honda vehicles go through this clunk noise. It has to do with the brakes, but it is perfectly normal.

You can fix the noise by following the instructions on this web page http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t=332

Hope that helps everyone out.

Other than that problem, we have not noticed anything really bad.

Review Date: 27th January, 2003

2002 Honda CR-V SE Executive 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great family car

Nothing to date.

General Comments:

This is a high quality car with superb fit and finish. The cabin is airy and spacious. The high seating position means that children will love being able to see more out of the windows. The load space has been improved and offers and is very flexible with folding and sliding rear seats. The engine is smooth and responsive - especially if you use the overdrive on the auto-box. Goos design details can be found everywhere - we like the highly visible satellite navigation system, the integrated hand brake which leaves a clear floor and the dash mounted auto gear box lever.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2002

2002 Honda CR-V SE Sport 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent all-rounder for families

Nothing. No rattles, loose trim. Perfect.

General Comments:

Good all round family vehicle with some nice features that surprise and delight.

We particularly like the folding table and hand brake position.

Driving the car - good forward visibility. Being that little bit taller helps you to see over normal cars in dense traffic.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2002

2002 Honda CR-V Sports 2ltr petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

My second CR-V and not my last - I love it

SRS warning light needd to be reset at delivery.

General Comments:

Second CR-V I have owned and will not be the last.

The Auto is a little underpowered however still enough to do the shopping and running around town.

I would doubt its ability to tow anything except a light box trailer.

Quality of workmanship & finish outstanding.

So much room front and back it is unrivalled in this class.

Review Date: 10th August, 2002

2002 Honda CR-V LX 160HP 4 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

Decent Vehicle, Bad dealer

Buying it was about as much fun as being strapped to your chair and being forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Instrument panel died 2 miles on the way home. Found to be a loose wire.

General Comments:

I would say dealership service is world-class, if you're only including third-world and nonexistent countries, which you might as well be from, as our Honda Dealer (Riverside Honda) seems to think I have no concept of money.

I wanted my CR-V Loaded, and told the "kind" salesman I would pay Sticker. He claimed he was unable to do so, due to the high demand for the CR-V, I would have to pay an extra $1,000. Upon kindly informing him there is no way in hell I am going to pay more-than-sticker for a HONDA, he reluctantly gave in.

After signing the papers, I was charged additionally for their "plus" preparation service, and a "convenience charge." That's $200.00 out of my pocket. I don't know what kind of business, but it's every bit as honest as Enron.

Furthermore, they refuse to honor the warranty at this dealership unless I service the car ONLY at the Honda dealership... INCLUDING Oil Changes, etc. (And of course, they're priced competitively, providing everyone else raised their prices by 200%.)

So how is the CR-V Ownership experience WITHOUT the dealer? Mediocre. It's a Mediocre tall station wagon with a few clever touches.

I love all of the storage nooks and crannies, and the Picnic table gets my thumbs up.

The entire vehicle is pretty comfortable, especially for long trips. My kids don't fight at all in the Back seat.

The rear seatback is very high though, making the rear window next to useless for my height.

It has enough power, but not a lot. The manual tranny is the way to go, otherwise you may need a lot of room to pass.

The vehicle itself is nice, but not spectacular, and certainly doesn't warranty the snotty dealer. If your Honda dealer is a good one, then this would be a logical vehicle to own.

Review Date: 15th July, 2002