2012 Honda CR-V EX from North America - Comments

25th Jan 2013, 12:08

I completely agree with the person who doesn't like the "expanded view mirrors." I find them much more distracting than helpful. In addition, they give me a headache.

I've had a number of Hondas and Acuras over the years -- two currently -- but I wouldn't buy another one unless a standard driver's outside mirror is made available. That's too bad, since I do like the new offerings quite a bit...

26th Jan 2013, 07:03

Is this a mirror review, or a car review?

26th Jan 2013, 10:40

Is there a way to replace the mirror glass with "regular" mirror glass? I remember years ago, someone hit & broke the glass in the mirror of my motorcycle, and a glass shop was able to cut and install a perfect replica of the original glass. I don't know if it is possible with these high-tech car mirrors of today, where so many are power adjusted & heated.

It is a shame that something as simple as a mirror can distract the driver from enjoying an otherwise enjoyable vehicle. I can understand it, but I'm not sure if it would distract me, but suspect it might.

As for the person who asked if this was a mirror review, it obviously is important to the reviewer, and in my opinion does pose a good question.

26th Jan 2013, 15:26

Mirrors are a very important safety feature, so yes, they are worthy of discussion regarding a vehicles desirability.

With that said, I would think a good glass shop could easily replace the unsafe mirrors with standard mirror glass. I replaced the driver's side mirror in my own Ford in about 30 seconds. It simply snaps in and out.

With that said, I am not a fan of any car built by a foreign owned manufacturer, and as a loyal American, would never buy any such a vehicle.

27th Jan 2013, 19:31

Honestly, it is time for an unlike button on the comments, so that we can voice our displeasure with those who insinuate that "Loyal Americans" only buy cars built by domestic manufacturers.

This person has been posting such comments since 2009, and I think enough is enough.

This is a site based in the U.K. and is read worldwide, so as an American, I am embarrassed to read such comments seemingly coming from another American.

I ask the rest of the world not to base their opinion of Americans on the comments a few, who still subscribe to isolationist ideology. We are a country of immigrants, and those who attempt to isolate us from the rest of the world are in my opinion wrong.

If it weren't for cars like the VW Beetle, I'm not sure if American car-makers would have ever woken up and started building more sensible vehicles. If it weren't for car-makers like Honda & Toyota, I'm not sure if we would have ever seen American car-makers concentrate on building the reliable, economical vehicles they build today.

28th Jan 2013, 12:23

I owned a VW Beetle. It was total junk. It fell apart long before hitting 100,000 miles.

28th Jan 2013, 19:35

I have driven GM vehicles (all V8) for decades with no issue. Mine are made in Bowling Green, not based in Italy, Germany, Japan or Korea.

1st Jul 2013, 23:01

I have a 2012 CRV and consider the driver's side mirror to be a non event. It only takes a few minutes of use to get used to it, and it actually does what it is supposed to do. Helps eliminate the blind spot on the driver's side...

20th Aug 2013, 23:12

I also own this model of car, and I also feel that this mirror design is flawed. The problem is that unless you're viewing the mirror with only 1 eye, you see double vision at the point where the view is supposed to be expanded. Instead of getting an expanded view of your surroundings, it makes it so that only 2/3rds of the mirror is usable. I don't understand why Honda doesn't provide a standard mirror as an option.

Other than that, the car is great IMO.

4th Jul 2014, 08:23

Perhaps we get a different mirror in England because I don't see(!) the problem.

Yes, it has an angled section to cover the blind spot, but I don't spend all my time looking at it - it's just something to tell you if there's anything in the blind spot. That's good, surely?

Although I agree that odd features/problems can drive certain people to distraction (me too), but it doesn't seem fair to condemn the whole car on the basis of a disliked mirror! What about the drive/comfort/equipment etc...?

4th Jul 2014, 14:57

I've owned a number of VW Beetles; not one of them was 'junk', and my last one was 33 years old when I traded it in and had far more than 100,000 miles on it. In fact if they still built them (the REAL VW Beetles), I'd probably still be driving one. A nice Cabriolet with A/C. Or perhaps even a Karmann Ghia Cabriolet. :)

Add another comment