1990 Honda Prelude Si 2.1 from North America

Summary:

Not a racer, but it looks fast and is fun to drive

Exhaust leak, timing belt broke, replaced bent valves. Replaced and engine runs like new again.

Change belt and tensioner pulley every 60000 miles or pay the price.

Change oil every 4000 or it will start burning oil.

General Comments:

A reliable fun car as long as you keep up on routine maintenance.

High revving car - could use taller gears for 5th gear.

Around 30 mpg.

I'm tall and there's plenty of room. No back seat room unless for little children.

The car holds up well for a import as far as rust goes.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2009

1990 Honda Prelude SE 4ws 2.016 valve from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very good

None.

General Comments:

Handles very well, sporty, however short of leg room in the back seats.

Review Date: 19th July, 2008

1990 Honda Prelude Si 4WS 2 Litre from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Like a big go-kart, but with comfier seats!

Developed exhaust rattle around 195,000 K's ($30 fix)

General Comments:

This car is 100 percent a drivers car. You just have to sit in it and start driving it to know this. I have owned mine for two years and still fall in love with it more each day. I receive a lot of compliments on it, too.

If you really enjoy driving, but have a limited budget, this car is an excellent choice. Even with my lead-foot driving style, I get 9 liters to 100km. Consumable parts cost the same as for any other car (belts, filters etc.), but major parts cost more. Due to excellent build quality however, these are rarely needed. The only car I would consider to replace this one is the Honda S2000.

I would not recommend this car to you if:

-you are too tall to comfortably fit inside

-you have difficulty getting in and out due to how low it is

-you need to regularly take more than one passenger

-you need to carry large items in the boot (entry is a bit small).

If none of the above are a problem, go for it!

Review Date: 25th January, 2008

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2.0 from North America

Summary:

It's a good overall basic car besides the steering configuration

Well, I first bought the car last year, and I thought it was perfect. But everything on the car just started breaking. So we spent $6,000 just to fix the basic parts, needed new radiator, powersteering, new tires, inspection, A/C, muffler, etc.

General Comments:

I just got it out of the shop a day ago, we asked them to fix whatever they can. The transmission was slipping from 1st to 2nd before we took it to the shop. And, now it doesn't, it has new everything, except there's something missing. I'm not totally sure what it is, I'm guessing either the CV joints, or boots. Everytime I make a left turn, there's a clicking noise that happens while taking the turn, and just started making the noise the entire time I drive it, so I can tell it's getting worse. Can anyone tell what that is? How to fix it? so I won't have to worry about it. But, besides that, the car is great. Just has a steering problem. Can anyone help me out on this?

Review Date: 25th August, 2007

27th Aug 2007, 19:30

I would say that it is possibly a CV joint. That's what I've always heard from people when a front-wheel-drive makes a noise like that. I've been in a couple of cars that were doing that and remember asking a local mechanic once a few years ago.

To be sure, however, you could maybe ask someone you know whose a mechanic or at least mechanically- minded.

Hope it goes well, and "have a nice day"

1990 Honda Prelude Si4WS 2.0 2BA6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Quick, reliable fun - a great cure for mid-life crisis

S4 indicator showed shortly after I bought the car. Check of the Trans Control Unit showed a selector position fault (?) but I fixed the problem by cleaning the under-hood connectors.

No other faults.

General Comments:

I bought this car as a second vehicle to supplement my motorcycle (a 1990 Honda VFR750). I wanted a car that had character and was a little more sporty than the locally built Fords and Holdens (GM). After much research I settled on a white 1990 Honda Prelude with 220,000km. on the odometer.

This car has not disappointed. While being no Ferrari, it easily keeps up with the traffic, is great fun to drive, has all the creature comforts like cruise, electric windows, electric sunroof (I love this). 4 wheel steer makes it a breeze to park and manoever and the handling is fabulous.

Fuel economy is quite good at 20mpg in the city and 26mpg on the highway. It cruises comfortably at 120kph (75mph)

4 wheel discs make for effective braking although the addition of ABS would make it complete.

Overall, this car is the complete package.

The suspension is a tad hard, but fits well with a luxury sports car like the prelude. If I want a plush ride, I can always take my wife's Commodore for a drive. Not nearly as much fun as the Honda. I love this car!

Review Date: 20th May, 2006