2001 Honda S2000 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2001 Honda S2000 2.0 Gasoline from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.0 Gasoline Manual
Previous carDodge Intrepid

Summary:

I love it, even with my car's problems!

My differential locked up and was replaced at 25,000 miles.

The transmission grinds from 1st gear to 2nd gear.

My transmission is whining and growling. The entire assembly is being replaced at 29,000 miles.

My rear axles make unusual clicking noises. Dealer visit fixed it temporarily, but the noise has returned.

General Comments:

Overall I like the car, however, I will be purchasing the extended warranty to 7 years / 100,000 miles. It is inexcusable to have the types of problems I have described in a brand new car. Fortunately my problems have been covered, no questions asked, under the standard warranty.

It is important to monitor engine oil level at every fuel fill stop, especially during the break-in period. Mine drinks about 1.5 quarts between oil changes.

The rear plastic window is difficult to clean properly, even with the proper supplies. You need to be a contortionist to get good access to it. It fogs up quickly from all of the plastic interior pieces "off-gassing". Fortunately this has been remedied with the 2002 model year: it has a glass rear window with an electric defogger.

Since this is a sports car, wear is extreme with the stock tires. There are harder compounds available that will extend tire life, but I enjoy the handling characteristics of the stock tires. I got 12,000 miles from the back tires, going on 29,000 miles on the front tires. Your mileage may vary.

On the positive side, the car is unique and attention grabbing. Its styling is great!

It handles better than any car I've ever driven.

The engine is magnificent and makes lots of power from 6,000 rpm to its 9,300 rpm red-line.

The shifting action of the transmission is smooth and precise.

The trunk space is limited, but you can carry more than a Miata and a MR2-Spyder combined.

The seats are comfortable for a 6 foot tall, 180 lb person.

It's a convertible!

Options? What options? The car comes with everything you need. A/C, cruise, power windows, power locks, power convertible top, ABS, CD player, and remote key-less entry.

Review Date: 30th October, 2002

2001 Honda S2000 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carMazda MX5

Summary:

Something different, but with an absolutely breathtaking engine

I have had no problems with the car.

General Comments:

An absolutely fabulous car, it has the looks, the engine, the chassis and its different.

The soft top is so easy to put up and down and its very snug and warm even on a winters day with the top down.

I drive it 40 miles to work very day and it drives as well in the city as its does on the motorway.

But it is in its element on a smooth and curvy piece of tarmac on a balmy weekend.

I love it to bits.

Review Date: 15th June, 2002

2001 Honda S2000 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Most recent distance2004 miles
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Summary:

Utterly thrilling!

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

After driving an Integra Type-R on a work track day, I had been totally amazed by the sound of a screaming VTEC engine. So to pick this up last year was a dream come true. Red-lining at 9,000 rpm, the sound is embarrassing (loud) when you overtake. Torque needs to be higher at lower rpm, but when you hit 6,000 rpm it takes off! We have made 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds.

I bought this car mainly for the performance, but you need to be aware of some other points as well. The car comes with one equipment level. It has mod-cons, but nothing flash, no sat-nav for instance.

The roof is great, but you'll be glad of the fantastic heater which has kept us warm at snowline temperatures. Don't be put off by it folding down, the boot can be completely filled up with the roof down (unlike the SLK).

We totally love this car, it's made driving a pleasure again.

Review Date: 28th February, 2002

13th Mar 2006, 12:24

If this is based on a DC2 Integra I think the book 0-60 time is more like 6.6 seconds, it actually has a 1.8 litre engine and I have never seen a convertible integra type r.

This is unless it has been modded.

If it's a DC5 Integra, it's a little faster, and with a 2 litre lump I think. Still no convertible though.

I bought a DC2 a month ago.

3rd May 2006, 09:27

He drove the integra on a track day and then bought a s2000 - read the review _properly_

22nd May 2006, 16:06

Lol ^^ sounds nice.. I am considering a 2000reg s2000 silver with red interior, they look sweet! not many seen on the roads.. seems like a good change from my BMW 318ci.

26th Jun 2006, 13:10

I have just bought a 2000 model of the s2k in red, I only bought it because I failed my bike test! Still what an alternative, absolutely awesome!

2001 Honda S2000 2.0 V-Tech DOHC from Japan

Engine and transmission 2.0 V-Tech DOHC Manual
Previous carBMW Z3 Roadster

Summary:

If you know the dealer, get one! It's a great deal!

Absolutely nothing wrong with this car. This is one beautiful piece of steel. I also love this because I got a great deal (knowing the dealer).

General Comments:

I like it because not that many people have it also.

Review Date: 5th June, 2001

2001 Honda S2000 2.0 from North America

Previous carPorsche Boxster

Summary:

The closest thing to sports car perfection

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is a pure sportscar with amazing refinement. Fit and finish are superb.

The 6 speed transmission and clutch are the smoothest I have ever used (Vette, Supra Turbo, Porsche, Z28, MR2 Turbo, Viper).

The ride is smooth with excellent feel and virtually no body roll. The 50/50 balance and light weight make this car a blast to drive.

Acceleration is amazing with a 6k rpm clutch release and then shift at 8k rpm and just hold on!

This is the best sports car I have ever owned at any price! I am also 6' 3" and 215 lbs, most cars do not handle my size well (Z3 and Boxster). The Vette was comfortable as well.

Maintenance costs are only $21 every 7,500 miles for an oil change.

Review Date: 30th April, 2001

12th Oct 2002, 04:23

The S2K is a fine car, but it is far from perfection in my experience. The electrical steering lacks sufficient feedback considering the skittish rear end, which combined with the lack of progressive torque to help control the rear with the throttle it makes for a very scary experience in anything other than warm, dry conditions.

The build is fantastic though, and it fits like a glove. In a hot country its probably the best car you can buy. In the UK, a Boxster is a better all-weather funster in my opinion.