1997 Hyundai Accent Reviews - Page 3 of 10

1997 Hyundai Accent i Coupe 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carVauxhall Cavalier

Summary:

That rare thing: a worthwhile bargain buy

Manual window winder cable snapped.

Clutch hydraulics broke.

Has gone through a lot of tyres although they're budget tyres and two of them perished on the tyre wall.

General Comments:

Just bought the car from my girlfriend, who'd bought it for £600 in 2005 to learn to drive in. It came with a dint in the bonnet from the previous owner (hence the price) but only had 36,000 on the clock at the time.

It's got a few more dints on it now and the light bodywork does seem to damage easily.

Having difficulty sourcing a replacement door (easier to do that than try to replace the winder mechanism).

But...

It's absolutely superb. It always starts first time, runs quite smoothly, handles well, the lights are excellent, the seats are fairly comfortable (though you feel like you're sitting on them rather than in them), the fuel economy is quite good (although the post-2000 models are better) and it's pretty nippy. Easy to park, too (hackney cab-like turning circle of 9 metres) despite the lack of power steering.

Slight gripes would be the high clutch pedal position and the 'hit or miss' gear selector for reverse.

Like another reviewer, I'm able to get my mountain bike in it with room to spare (the boot's huge).

Suppose what I like most is that to an extent it takes me back to the days when I owned older cars with no 'power' components. Everything is manual: windows, steering, mirrors etc. and you feel that you can trust the car because there's not much that can go wrong.

Insured it TPF&T with zero no claims discount for £130.

If you pick up a ten year old Accent for £300 - £400 with reasonable mileage it could be the best money you'll spend this side of that box of monogrammed handkerchiefs you've been promising yourself for Christmas.

Or is that just me?

Review Date: 3rd September, 2007

7th Aug 2010, 16:48

I picked up an Accent for a staggering £100. Alright, with 117000 on the clock it probably deserved the price, but that aside, this car does not, and will not give up. I've put a further 13000 on the clock with 2 services and 1 MOT. For all three, nothing wrong, the car is staggering for reliability.

It handles well as said, and feels like it has power steering due to its small light body. The body work is weak, taking no more than a draught to buckle it!

Economy wise, poor to be honest. If you do urban cycles, this car just glugs fuel for fun. On the motorway however, I've shifted 40mpg out of it, which is reasonable I suppose.

Overall, a great car in my opinion.

15th Feb 2012, 15:17

Just an update from my original review: almost five years on, and still have my Accent. Now 83k on the clock. Have changed the driver's side window regulator again, radiator (manifold heat shield came adrift and punctured a hole in it) and had a new steering rack. Bit more rust now. Windscreen washer pump's just gone (replacement: £6.50).

But... still starts first time every time, even at -16 last winter. Still on the original battery and centre section of the exhaust. Left everything else bar 4WDs stranded in the snow. Brilliantly rugged and actually a hoot to drive. Roll on the next five years!

28th Jan 2013, 18:42

Picked mine up for £300 with about 60k on the clock.

As a first car, it cost me £3100 to insure (still cheaper than my friend's 1.4 Ford Fiesta, and I was only 17).

The electric window on the passenger side and the exhaust box are the only things that have gone wrong. Changed the battery once and two tires. Absolutely love the car.

I definitely agree with you on the reverse gear, it's a total pain, but once you have jiggled the gear lever around a bit, it's fine.

Love the noise it makes when you hit 4000 RPM, but below that it's very quiet and very smooth to drive.

The gear lever, you do have to move pretty far to get it into the gear compared to newer cars, but the pedals are well spaced out, unlike the Peugeot 206's pedals.

Not the stiffest of suspension, so the chassis does move a bit when cornering hard.

Boot space is tremendous, better than near enough all the hatchbacks I've seen. Love the pop up aerial as well.

Hope this helps.

1997 Hyundai Accent 1.5 from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1996
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

The best car I have ever had

The passenger door does not lock. After a year I started to have not serious issues with the transmission (it does not change the gear as fast as normal specially when I start running the car in the morning).

General Comments:

The car runs almost as good as when I bought it with just general maintenance. I use conventional oil for the engine with anything else, and still is good. The car is still cheap on gas (11 - 12 kilometers per L in the city, and 14 - 15 per L in highway). I got the same performance that my previous Toyota Corolla, but cheaper.

Review Date: 26th July, 2007