2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS from North America - Comments

26th Mar 2011, 19:49

Manually pressing the switch in enabled me to then start the car straight away! Thanks. It has been a problem no-one has been able to solve for us for a long while.

11th Jun 2011, 12:32

How exactly do you clean the clutch sensor connection? My son lives in Santa Cruz, and this sounds like it might be his problem.

15th Mar 2012, 10:41

You should try the fuel pump or the exhaust manifold. They tend to mess up on the 2001 models. If not those, then more likely it's your transmission sensors.

I have a Hyundai 2001 model, and they are crappy vehicles. They tend to mess up a lot with the sensors and the fuel pumps, and also the exhaust manifold, which could cause them to hesitate on acceleration.

25th Oct 2012, 15:33

Try replacing your cam position sensor; it's easy do it yourself, & it's only $60. This part will trip a lot of other sensors before it actually trips a code for itself. Worth a try.

1st Dec 2012, 14:37

You make good points, and reading your write up tells me that:

1. Either "You" designed this car.

2. You have a lot invested in the reputation of this car, and you know very well that the car can't earn it for itself.

3. You live in a place where your friends are not taking your advice and are making the wrong selection of cars (when they should be buying trucks instead).

Well, whatever it is, I think you are in the wrong forum. The problems being voiced by the Elantra owners are real, and I for one can tell you that this car loves spending time at dealer service station. Because that is where I take my car.

23rd Jun 2013, 07:49

I also own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra, purchased with 52K used, and it now has 96K on it, and it has had several problems. The transmission is not upshifting at speed. We had this problem 2 years ago and put it in the shop. The Elantra has two catalytic converters and one was bad. They replaced it and the car was fine. Now the problem appears to be back.

The car died on the road one day. Took it to Pep Boys and they replaced the MAP sensor. Then it started bucking particularly when applying gas. Had the codes read and turned out to be a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Had it replaced, but the guy didn't tighten it down well enough and the problem continued intermittently. I have since replaced the sensor myself and that problem appears fixed. I will look at the sensors on the transmission that you have identified. Hope this helps others.

28th Jun 2013, 17:09

How bad was the bucking? I wouldn't worry about it too much. Every car has its problems.

Add another comment