2007 Hyundai Getz Click 1.4 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Good car, one problem

My car had trouble starting soon after purchase at 48,000 km.

General Comments:

This is my first car and it has been great and very economical on petrol. It is very nice to drive, however less comfortable for passengers as mine is a 2-door.

I have only owned the car for a year now, and am I bit disappointed that I'm having problems with the car starting, given it's fairly low km odometer reading.

This problem began soon after I bought the car and has continued to get worse. Sometimes the car starts fine, sometimes it takes a while to start and other times it won't start at all. On occasions I have had to leave the car for up to an hour before I can finally get it moving. When I turn the key over the car sounds like it's trying to start, but just won't kick over. Spark plugs are fine, petrol and liquids are full. An auto-electrician suggested it may be a problem with the security system, but says the problem is unfamiliar to him.

It is also difficult to get advice due to the inconsistent nature of the problem. I will be bringing the car to Hyundai when I get the chance and when it is suitable for me not to have a car for a few weeks (which will be rare).

All in all a good first car, but have been turned off the car after being stranded on several occasions.

Review Date: 21st September, 2010

22nd Sep 2010, 05:01

I regularly hire these from Thrifty in Brisbane and I had one once that wouldn't start after I had driven it for 100+ kms that day. The starter motor was turning over fine but it wouldn't fire, I ended up turning off all auxiliaries (air con, radio etc) and it started. Maybe the electrical system is too small on these to cope with high drain items being on at the same time as it's trying to start?

22nd Sep 2010, 07:13

Could be your fuel relay switch or your ignition barrel. I had similar problems, although on a different type of car.

11th Dec 2010, 05:55

The fault this owner is experiencing is with the vehicle immobiliser. It is a known fault where the key fob won't disengage the security system, resulting in the car cranking, but not starting.

How do I know this? My girlfriend's 2007 Click had exactly the same fault, and Hyundai acknowledged this.

Take your car to a Hyundai dealer, and they will sort this issue.

24th Apr 2012, 00:35

Agree with last comment. I had this problem, and it was the immobiliser working when it should not have. I had to have the ignition replaced, but it was under warranty, so no charge. It did take them two goes to work this out at the dealership, mind you.

2007 Hyundai Getz 1.1 from Philippines

Bolts & nuts of the front wheels are very hot after KMs.

General Comments:

The car is very economical compared to my other cars. My problem is that the lug nut is always very hot after running for more than 5 kilometers. It may be the reason why I always need to replace the bolts & nuts of the front wheels.

Review Date: 8th January, 2010

2007 Hyundai Getz SX 1.6 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car, bad engine, poor build quality

The squeak in the rear suspension would have to be the most prominent issue with this car. I complain about it every time I take the car to be serviced. And they claim to have "lubricated the bushes". This is no more than a temporary fix. I doubt the problem will ever be solved.

The left hand front tire keeps wearing out, I replaced it at 15000 kilometres and already need to buy a new one as the outside edge has no tread whatsoever!!

There is a rattle in the back of the car, which I have now come to accept as a permanent fixture.

When cornering right, the left hand rear wheel will sometimes squeak pretty horribly. This tends to get worse after the car has been driven for a while and everything has warmed up a bit. But because the problem is intermittent, I doubt to dealer will ever admit to it, until wheel falls off the car!

General Comments:

The styling of this car is incredible for what it is, much cooler than the Yaris or Swift in my opinion. The engine has a nice sound from inside the cabin. The dash board looks awesome.

In regards to the performance, for some reason this car is heavier than the Yaris, even though it is clearly smaller in dimensions. Also, don't be fooled by the quoted power of this car, as I recall it is very similar to the Yaris 1.5. I can assure you this car performs nowhere near as well as the Yaris in the real world. This car has barely enough power to keep up in modern traffic conditions. I pretty much have to floor it when the lights go green. I'm pretty sure I know why this is but won't go into detail here.

I ended up buying this car over the Suzuki Swift because the Swift is only available in 4 door, a decision which I do NOT regret. 4 doors on a hatchback is just pointless.

In regards to the stereo, I saw one review online which said that the head unit was good quality but the speakers not very good. I partially disagree with this, the speakers in the Yaris have tremendous bass, but nothing else, no highs whatsoever. The speakers in the Getz are a much better balance really, much better overall sound. Poor build quality is probably the biggest overall problem I have with this car.

Review Date: 30th December, 2008

10th Mar 2009, 08:16

I own a Getz and I also have problems with strange bumping sounds in the back compartment, but solved the problem with replacing the tires, the original tires are very hard and that's the reason for all the noises I noticed.

16th May 2009, 00:40

I had an 07 Getz 1.6 as well for just 6 months. During that time the rear shock absorbers were changed twice and the rattle returned within days, so most of the time the car had a rattly rear end.

The other problems were mostly related to the build quality and the poor performance of the engine. Also after all these years, Hyundai still make engines that are rattly when cold.

I decided to sell it after 3 months and bought a second hand Toyota Echo sedan, and the money I lost off the Getz was a lesson well learnt. It took 3 months to sell the car. I wouldn't buy this brand again. I love my Echo.

15th Jun 2010, 06:12

Toyota should be a nicer car to drive, that is for sure. Additionally, the Suzuki Swift has a more revy engine, and a much nicer suspension than the Getz. But 1,6 Getz cannot be deemed slow. The only thing is, you have to run this car into what it should perform, and than it performs well, even sporty. The engine note is a bit harsh (I believe in is chain and not belt driven engine). The Yaris is probably a more subtle drive, and better build quality, but the Getz is OK.