1997 Hyundai Lantra Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1997 Hyundai Lantra GLS SW 1.6 from Portugal

First year of ownership1997
Previous carLancia Delta

Summary:

A good car for the price

Initially (2nd day) there was a problem with the immobilizer. It was replaced and after that it was fine

Latter there was a problem with the clutch that was replaced also. All this happened during the warranty period.

General Comments:

It is a reliable car

It is comfortable

Well powered

Not very nice in the station version

Reasonable fuel consumption considering the performance.

Review Date: 17th August, 2004

1997 Hyundai Lantra GLS 1.6 16v from Belgium

Engine and transmission 1.6 16v Manual
Previous carHyundai Lantra

Summary:

Good value

The car didn't start, but it was only a bad contact.

General Comments:

This car has 115hp and can run up with the latest Golf TD motor. I leave them behind in same with Hyundai.

Review Date: 10th March, 2003

1997 Hyundai Lantra SE Sportswagon from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2002
Most recent distance120000 kilometres
Previous carMazda 121 Hatchback

Summary:

A good value for money car

Needed a new cam belt at 100000km, (This is normal)

Surface rust around roof racks.

Other than that a great car to own.

General Comments:

This car is a great medium sized wagon and is very stylish.

Also has good fuel economy, especially out on the highway.

A very good radio/cassette system.

Good power and pick-up with the 1.8 liter motor, over-drive helps a lot.

Very good and reliable for long distance driving.

Air conditing gets very cold, good for the hot summer days.

Review Date: 21st November, 2002

13th Jun 2003, 09:18

I've owned my 1997 Sports wagon for 5 years, and it's a great little car. It turns heads when driving around Darwin NT (Australia). I have only had to change the cam belt at 110,000kms, and a fan motor. These are a great wagon and have very sporty shape, and handle great at high speed, if you add strong full length side stone guards to it. The Stone Guards help it hug the road, and corner much better. I sit on 180kph from Darwin to the SA border with no problems. Top speed of 255kph (Tho I have had the bit done to the motor, but its still the 1.8 litre) I will never sell my wagon as it is my pride and joy. If you get the chance to buy one, Do it. The only 1 fault I have with the wagon, is the front passenger & Drivers side windows don't seal very well. Cheers... Mark Bowshire - Darwin Australia.

1997 Hyundai Lantra GL 1.6 Wagon 1.6 DOHC petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.6 DOHC petrol Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Mirage

Summary:

You always get what you pay for so beware

Nothing yet however since owning it for a few weeks I expect to have ongoing problems.

The exhaust emission has a strong petrol type smell and is blowing white smoke a long time after it has warmed up which may mean water leaking in the engine.

The radio loses its memory stations intermittently.

General Comments:

The number one biggest problem with this car is the excessive tyre road noise which is likely to be worst in New Zealand because of our coarse chip roads.

I have fitted TZ100 firehawks as the dealer suggested and tried acoustic foam sound proofing in the rear, but still no improvement.

The road noise is very annoying and drives me mad.

I bought this car because it looks very modern inside and out and it does drive well other than the noise problem.

Review Date: 7th November, 2002

1st Jan 2003, 21:51

My son-in-law has had a Hyundai Lantra sportswagon SE 1997 from new and we are impressed how good it's been in 70,000plus km, he has just bought 1 new battery and had a new muffler plus tyres, it's far exceeded our expectations of such a 'cheap' car and the reliability has been excellent, which is essential as we are country dwellers in OZ. I am planning to buy a Hyundai myself as I am so impressed by his.

2nd Apr 2005, 23:33

I have a 1997 lantra wagon that I bought two years ago. In 40,000 kms of driving (now has 150,000kms) I've had to replace brake drums, front wheel bearings and battery.

The worst problem is that it developed an electrical fault at speeds of 100kmphr which meant it starts misfiring. As I say, intermittent, and no mechanics have been able to diagnose it. So far the distributor cap, leads, and plugs have been replaced and it still has the problem.

Two weeks ago it developed a strange noise from the front. Can't seem to get to the bottom of this either. The other problem with this car is the trim seems to be low quality - door handles and electric mirrors are starting to break, and the central locking is faulty.

I wouldn't recommend this car as I don't think it will last as well as another make might.