7th May 2012, 21:58

Yeah mate, had the same problem with mine. Took it to the garage I deal with. Replaced some sensors in the gear box. It performs better and changes gears quicker now.

29th Jul 2012, 23:42

Hello. I also have had the same issues with my Isuzu; same model as yours. The problem you mentioned about the gearbox not going into over drive, was easily fixed by replacing a faulty sensor on the gear box. Also, this makes the gears change quicker and smoother.

Second, the flashing light; I got told not to worry about it, as it could be a faulty sensor.

11th Jan 2013, 23:32

Re: Faulty sensor. Do you guys who replaced this sensor have any info on this? Where is the sensor located and what it is called, so I can order one, as my BH is doing similar things.

Thanks.

23rd Jan 2013, 17:02

The sensor is underneath the car on the gearbox. It's either that, or the speed sensor on the dashboard speedo cluster. Either way, they are both a cheap second hand replacement.

19th Feb 2013, 02:17

Cool, thanks.

24th Jun 2013, 16:19

Greetings from the Bahamas.

I've had repeat problems with the speed sensor, and changed out the one at the gear box 3 times over the past 3 years, and went for a 4th a few weeks ago with the last of the spares I bought last year.

Are you saying there's a sensor in the instrument cluster that can affect the shifting into overdrive, just as the gearbox sensor does? If so, where is this thing, as I'm getting a positive impulse from the sensor and the post is spinning.

Much obliged for any comment.

11th Jan 2014, 19:01

I am the original writer of this review. I still own this vehicle and it has now done over 280,000km, and still going strong. Apart from a few relatively minor repairs, ball joints, wheel bearings etc it has had nothing major done to it. It still goes between oil changes (5000km) without topping up the oil.

Just recently I have started adding 2 stroke oil (low ash non synthetic) to the diesel each fill up, ratio 200:1 (diesel 200 : oil 1) and have gained even better fuel economy than I used to get. I now travel approximately 720km before the fuel warning light comes on, where I used to be hard pushed to reach 650km at that stage. Not only has the economy improved, but at town speeds the vehicle doesn't need as much throttle to maintain momentum. Check it out. Well worth a try.

26th Apr 2014, 18:35

Hello, I'm Ugandan & intend to buy a 1998 model 3.0 diesel Isuzu Bighorn. Any advice for me? I really love this beast, but I'd like to have an idea of its cost of ownership before I give in to my desires...

14th May 2014, 06:59

I know of someone who had serious overheating problems with that 3.0 model. Go for the 3.1 every time!

Richard.

18th Jul 2014, 04:57

I had a very similar problem; a very horrible experience!