1989 Isuzu Trooper SE 2.6 litre 4EZ1 from North America

This is the best 4x4 vehicle I have ever owned

Replaced head with new Japanese.

Fuel pump replaced.

Motor mount replaced.

General Comments:

This thing is a tank! Go anywhere, anytime, any conditions.

I am so happy with this vehicle that I'm looking for another one for off road only.

The 2.6 has power to spare when operating off road, and enough power to keep a steady highway pace.

Mileage is between 15-19 mpg.

Only complaint is the rear half door is rusting out, and needs some repair.

Review Date: 28th May, 2008

1989 Isuzu Trooper LS 2.6 I-tec from North America

My car was a learning experience

-Head gasket blew.

-Head was cracked by valve seat and had to be replaced with a new head from Japan ($400)

-Catalytic converter clogged up and was eliminated.

-O2 sensor went bad and was replaced.

-Motor mounts were bad and were replaced.

-The drive shaft donut broke and was replaced.

-The ignition module died and was replaced.

-The ignition coil module died two times (it was my fault)

-The radiator had to be repaired with JBweld.

-The intake had to be replaced with a custom one because the plastic tube somehow melted and made a hole on the bottom.

-The brakes were completely re-built due to stuck calipers and worn out pads (new pads, new rotors, and re-built calipers)

-Fuel pump died and was replaced.

-Fan clutch didn't engage and was replaced.

-The Auto-Locking hubs never worked properly.

-I popped one of the front drive shafts in a moment where I REALLY NEEDED THE 4X4.

General Comments:

If I could describe my trooper in one word it would be LEMON. The previous owner of my trooper beat the living daylights out of it and everything started to break when I had it. It was a bad choice. Troopers are really good SUVs, when shopping for one look carefully at everything, including the way that the owner treats his vehicles because this will have a direct relationship between how your carr will turn out to be, in terms of reliability. I know lots of people that have early troopers and they turn out to be great.

What I liked most about my trooper was the fuel economy. It also has a good low range for pulling stuff. The back seat transforms in to a bed. The roof rack is practical.

Remarks and things to look out for: the center console tends to crack on the side, the dash can warp and sometimes crack, the bottom part of the mini door tends to rust from the inside out. The hynge in the small windows of the front doors tends to break, also these windows make it easy for a robber to enter the trooper. The V6 model is a gas hog and doesn't have more power than the 4cyl. Troopers suffer from warped heads and bad head gaskets. Be careful with the dome light, it breaks easily.

Review Date: 12th July, 2007

1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 liter from North America

Great mountain truck - built like a tank and feels like it too

Head gasket.

Heater hose.

Some electrical work.

Some minor surface rust spots.

Headlight leak.

Rear axle seal.

Uses a little bit of oil.

General Comments:

I have owned this vehicle for almost a year. I was not expecting to put this many miles on it, but I have already put over 11 thousand miles on it.

About 2 months after I purchased the vehicle, the head gasket blew. The previous owner had replaced it just before I bought the truck. Upon inspection it was determined that 2 of the head bolts were too loose, and that caused the gasket to blow again.

Other than general maintenance that was not done by the previous owner, I have not had any other major repairs.

It is a pleasure to drive, and my biggest complaint about the truck is lack of power. Having a 5 speed manual transmission helps, but only being a 2.6 liter 4 banger, it lacks the power to get 4000 pounds up the mountain passes.

Review Date: 29th May, 2007