1989 Isuzu Trooper LS 2.8 gas from Guatemala

Summary:

Well engineered

Replaced several parts in the front suspension; all worn out by time.

TPS malfunctioning, which results in hesitant acceleration sometimes; nothing too serious.

Broken exhaust.

General Comments:

I always wanted to drive a Trooper. Did not like their looks too much, but had heard they were truly reliable and tough. With the arrival of our second baby, our Suzuki Sidekick (1.6 gas - 4 door) was not big enough to put up with all the stuff we had to haul, and the latter Honda Civic sedan had less chances to meet our demands and to keep up with our roads. And this is how we ended up with this Trooper.

Being a Japanese vehicle, I was truly surprised to see how well equipped it is and the feel of it on the road. It is rolling on 235X75R15, which I think gives it that "American car" feel on the road.

The interior, although it is not leather, is not worn and is very roomy and comfortable. The cargo area is very accessible and ample.

Another thing that I love in it, is the 4-wheel disk brakes and the electronic 4x4. It's tall and somehow stable.

Overall and despite its age, the vehicle feels - and sounds - solid (if solid is a sound), has no vibrations at all and has proven to be sturdy off road. It will get you from A to B, not in the most comfortable fashion, but you will not end your journey all beaten up.

Its only minus is the lack of cup holders. It does feature 3 ashtrays, but no cup holders.

Other than that, it has become my daily commuter, and I must say, I am satisfied with it. Impressed by its design, features and performance for its age. I have ridden in a couple of the post-90 models, not too impressed. I think Isuzu got it right the first time, and from then onwards, all they had to do was to add small things to it.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2016

1989 Isuzu Trooper LS 2.6L from North America

Summary:

271,000 miles and still going strong..

Manifold had been welded previously, so I had a new one put on.

Battery would not hold a charge when I bought it, so I got a new one.

General Comments:

What can I say... the truck had 270k miles on it when I bought it for $400. I got the oil and air filter changed, and got the manifold replaced to reduce cabin noise and the occasional exhaust fumes.

Second gear gets sticky if you try to rush, but other than that, I couldn't be happier. The value is amazing!

I am teaching my nephew and cousin how to drive a manual and have gone at highway speeds...75mph + with no problems for extended periods.

I heard some of these earlier Troopers had brake issues that caused the pads to rub and reduce speed (and gas mileage). Mine is fine. Simple and tough... the Trooper is amazing.

I am fighting the urge to modify the truck and get it painted. Chicago winters are cold and she starts without a problem every time! If you find an 88-92 Trooper, 4 cylinder-manual, buy it!

Review Date: 17th December, 2008

1989 Isuzu Trooper SE 2.6 from North America

Summary:

I love this vehicle and I will never get tired of it

Replaced head at 172,000 with new Japanese.

Fuel pump at 165,000.

Front suspension at 155,000 (wasn't bad, just preventative).

Trans input shaft bearing at 175,000.

Normal items at intervals.

Body rust repair in last year (minor).

Front seats due to be redone.

General Comments:

This SUV is an absolute joy.

Mileage is between 18 and 21 mpg.

The 2.6 four cylinder is adequate for our island, but the hills do pull the acceleration down. However, put this thing in four wheel and it will climb a building.

The boxy look is being copied by SUV's that cost thousands more, and there are absolutely no blind spots on this vehicle.

It is a very stable platform for such a short wheelbase, and it handles corners very well. A bumpy road will lead to frequent bladder relief however.

It's a tank disguised as a SUV. I have had this vehicle in places that a normal 4x4 would be in trouble, and I have pulled a few "off roaders" out of trouble.

Review Date: 29th June, 2008