2000 Isuzu Wizard LS from Australia and New Zealand - Comments

11th May 2008, 00:00

I owned a 1998 Diesel which I purchased in 2003 and kept for 3.5 years. Everything that could go wrong with this model did go wrong and I spent about $3000 New Zealand on running problems, rear axle seal and handbrake binding. However, it was a great motor and $3k NZ is not that much over 3.5 years for a car that went anywhere and everywere. I believe that later models have the problems all sorted.

I enjoyed the long journeys, they were comfortable and the cab is spacious.

12th Jul 2009, 18:37

I'm looking at petrol Wizards to replace the Prado I have now. Would like to know if there are any problems with the motor?

5th Sep 2009, 09:31

I just brought a 1996 Isuzu Wizard that has done 230.000ks, and it's still running like brand new and has never missed a beat. Only ever had a problem with the ABS, but it turned out the sensor was dirty, and one new alternator later it was fine.

Cheapest SUV I have ever owned to run around in, and yet still is quite fast and can tow pretty much anything, mine has all the extras like heated seats and heated wing mirrors, and a 6 stacker CD player etc, but no cup holders!!!

Off roading is great in it, it can handle a 1 meter drop without breaking anything, as I found out the hard way, but it just drove back up the other side of the ditch and just kept on going. Also great through water, I highly recommend them.

27th Jan 2010, 04:08

Hi. I have owned a 1999 model Wizard that functioned well until recently. The engine simply switches off on its own, and that is rather unnerving in heavy traffic. Any ideas on what the problem could be, and how to solve it, because I am scared it may turn into a bad situation. If any advice, send me an email to emma@mediaflower.com

27th Feb 2010, 03:13

I too have a Wizard. Awesome vehicle, however I recently had a problem with it, engine stopped on the motorway, wouldn't start again after that. Turned out to be a worn crank shaft. There was enough movement for it to hit the RPM sensor, therefore the computer didn't know what rpm the engine was doing, hence the engine wouldn't fire (common rail relies heavily on the computer). The other thing it did before this was stall at high RPM. This was again due to the movement, the rpm sensor stopped working and the gauge on the dash moved violently. As soon as I throttled off, it kicked back in. Of course I had no idea at the time what was going on.

23rd Jul 2010, 00:02

I have a 1996 Wizard bought 12 months ago from our local dealer. With in 6 weeks of buying it the torque converter seal went, the dealer replaced it and rebuilt the transmission at no cost to us. 12 months later the engine stopped. It is currently in the shop having the injectors pulled. I have real concerns about the reliability of these wagons as they get some age on them.

24th Jul 2010, 00:14

Hi. I have a 1996 Wizard too.

I have had it for 6 years. Done over 100k and it's up to 200k now.

Just replaced the cam belt and battery.

Replaced the auto cooling pipes, CV boots and brake pads.

Very reliable.

Normal things that need replacing now and then; mind you, I maintain it.

Also just bought a Vehicross. My daughter has a 1994 MU. They all need the same parts replacing after 10-15 years.

We are Isuzu addicts now.

20th Jul 2011, 23:56

My 2000 Isuzu did the same thing, and it turned out to be the connection to the battery was clamped, but had started to come away - fixed by an auto electrician soldering to the connection clip instead of clamping.

7th Jan 2012, 12:45

Got an Isuzu Wizard V6 2000 model, well maintained. Need to replace drive, timing belts just in time. Where to get them has been a problem. Please someone help by email to john.mugwagwa@yahoo.co.uk

22nd Mar 2012, 05:57

I own a Isuzu Wizard V6 2001 automatic transmission. I am facing a gearbox problem. I need to change the transmission filter. I cannot find it in the local market. Could you please give an address where I can get? Please email me at:

vicente.langa@undp.org

Thanks.

25th Feb 2014, 19:42

Owned a 1998 Isuzu Wizard for 6 years. The only problem was a sensor, which caused the engine to stall while driving. Took a while to sort out, but after that no issues until now. Towed anything (I have horses). Drove off road great on sand and mud in the paddocks.

Had a water pipe leak recently and overheated the engine, causing the head to go.

Ultimately my fault as I did not service the car regularly (which you HAVE to do with diesel); a bit annoyed with myself as the hose cost $10 to replace.

Looked at different options to replace it... Toyota Surf, Safari or Prada... they cost too much in comparison to what you get, looked at a Nissan Terrano - apparently not good.

So back to a later model Isuzu - loved my last one.

So just purchased a 2001 LS Facelift Holden Frontera (same vehicle under different badge). NZ new, so no sitting in Japanese traffic.

Test drove it yesterday and loved it, way better than my 1998 (loved driving that); better acceleration/sensitivity, brakes and suspension. Has upgraded computer setup different transmission.

Getting it tonight, and can't wait to have a towing vehicle!!!

Add another comment