1992 Jaguar XJ40 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Year of manufacture1992
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission AJ6 Automatic
Previous carJaguar Dodge Caravan

Summary:

Bargain used luxury car (depreciation). Just keep piggy-bank full for mechanical emergencies

Head gasket failed twice (first time was due to poor install by mechanic).

Power steering pump failed, which resulted in intermittent power assist (unsafe). Replaced with rebuilt unit.

Power steering rack seals are leaking. Repaired once, but is now leaking again. Still unresolved.

Rear hydraulic suspension failed (SLS). Replaced with non-SLS parts and all associated hydraulics removed.

Air Conditioning leaking/failed due to rock damaged condenser. Still unresolved because I must convert to R134a in order to effect repairs, which is costly.

Oil pressure sender failure. I'm told this was a common problem. Oil pressure gauge would incorrectly read zero and the trouble light would come on. Replaced with updated sender and has not caused any more issues.

Radio arial does not retract. I was negligent in cleaning the arial. I found a replacement at a local breakers and have had no problems since.

Air thermister failure (fuel fail 16 VCM code). I tried to order a replacement from the (only) Jaguar dealer who wanted $150-170cdn for it, and I would have to wait for them to order it in from England. I called a Jaguar dealer in Seattle (across the border from me in Vancouver BC) and they only wanted $80cdn for it! In the end I pulled the sensor, flushed it out with WD40, and reinstalled it with no more faults.

General Comments:

We purchased this car because my father wanted a nice car to drive after years of agony in a minivan transporting me to hockey practice and school! We had thought that purchasing the vehicle from a local Jaguar club member would ensure little problems, but we were wrong as the vehicle had many unresolved issues that the seller unloaded on us. I also made the mistake of sending the car to a common mechanic for pre-inspection, rather than a Jaguar specialist.

We love the interior. It makes you realize how grim Mercedes or BMW interiors are. Headroom is a little tight for taller passengers, but still manageable. Back seat space is a little tight however. The trunk can swallow almost anything.

Engine performance is good for it's size. It is no match to the current AJ8 or Supercharged models, but we don't use it as a sports car.

The same applies to handling. We are a little disappointed with braking performance however... it is a heavy car and the brakes just don't seem up to the task when the need to stop hard arises.

The transmission shifts smoothly, and the Sport mode does the job, but sometimes fumbling for the button can be frustrating. The J-gate is a little too contrived... we rarely use it.

Despite all the problems, we still like the car very much. I'm not sure we would sell it because the resale value is poor, and lately it has not been giving us any grief.

Review Date: 24th February, 2005

3rd May 2005, 05:40

A/C : there is an alternative to R134, which does not necessitate modifications to the A/C system. It is known in France as R434. I could recently have a complete check and refill for 200 Euros ($ 200).

1992 Jaguar XJ40 Soverign 4.0 from UK and Ireland

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1992

Summary:

Amazing Luxury and Performance

2 Manifold Gaskets replaced at 90000.

Ariel needed replacing.

Both wing indicators needed replacing.

Oil pressure sometimes reads low in hot weather. My mechanic said the oil's fine and not to worry. it's caused no problems I'm aware of.

Rust under boot door button (a common problem with the XJ40s) not a big deal and is not visable to anyone from street level.

General Comments:

Fantastic feeling of presence and quality.

She feels like a £38000 car, but costs £1720!!!

This car runs so gracefully and smoothly, It's impressed almost everyone who I've had in it.

I've used this car to sainsburys, family days out, 1000 mile trips to Scotland and back. This car can be whatever you want it to be.

The mid-range performance is astounding, it's just so much fun to put your foot down.

Strong breaks aswell.

A superb quality Hi-Fi, I only have tape, but my mechanic will fit the CD for £200.

I love it when some tasteless boy racer stops next to me at the lights - goodbye.

Not too thirsty on the motorway; 60 mph = 28 mpg, 90 mph = 22 mpg. I live in London and average 12mpg, 15mpg at night. Who cares, my brother owns Ka that does 35mpg, but this is such a better car it's worth the fuel bill.

Review Date: 14th January, 2005