1987 Jaguar XJ6 Reviews

Year of manufacture1987
Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired32000 kilometres
Previous carAudi 500

Summary:

If you buy, check the tyres!

I also had the faulty bulb lights, and sometimes the coolant low one would come on. I would check the coolant and it was fine.

Always had anti-lock brake failure light up, door handles wore out quickly, rubber seals started to fail, boot leaked, and the speakers were shot.

Windscreen intermittent setting would always stick with the wipers half way across the screen (had the motor repaired 5 times).

My double kick down needed repairing to improve acceleration.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM, AND THE REASON I GOT RID WAS... the tyres, the price of new tyres. Only one manufacturer makes the 230/55R390 ZR SP2000E tyre, and that is Dunlop, and they are the only tyres which will fit, the rim is roughly 15.35 inches! They are R4700 each or 370GBP, they are expensive, and also the new SP2000 are very loud on the road, very soft; the original SP100 were much quieter.

General Comments:

I enjoyed the Jag, I enjoyed driving it; it was comfortable, stylish, a nice place to be, but those tyres, I traded mine in, and to this day I don't think the salesman realises that XJ6 tyres are expensive.

Review Date: 21st May, 2012

1987 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Liter from North America

Year of manufacture1986
Engine and transmission 4.2 Liter Automatic
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carJaguar XJS

Summary:

Quiet, fast, stable, beautiful, reliable, classic elegance

Ignition amplifier is gave me a problem; it would not restart when hot until it cooled down for about 20 minutes. After replacing that, it works great.

Valve gasket leaked oil on the exhaust manifold (a little bit scary when the smoke came out of the engine compartment, but just bought a gasket and replaced it, and no problems.

The reserve gas tank developed a leak, I need to take it out and have it wielded at the seam.

General Comments:

The car is very fast and quiet, I like the description that it "handles like it's on rails" that about sums it up, she grabs the road like no other car I know of; I have even driven my mother's Mercedes C260, and it didn't hold the road like my XJ6, I think the extra added characteristic is the long wheel base, that makes it even more stable.

The seats are very comfortable, the lumbar support feels like it grips or holds you in the seat, and the leather is very high quality; although my Jaguar is a 1987 with light tan leather interior, there is no wear on the seats at all, it looks like new.

Review Date: 24th December, 2009

27th Dec 2009, 06:17

Hi, I bought my cars in the opposite order that you acquired yours. I bought the XJ6 first and then bought the XJS, love them both.

1987 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 fuel injected Inline 6 from North America

Year of manufacture1986
Engine and transmission 4.2 fuel injected Inline 6 Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

A superb machine to drive, and the most beautiful car I have owned!

Head gasket just went at 100,000!

I replaced upper radiator hose one day before the head gasket went, and now I have oil in my coolant.

I will rebuild the engine anyways, it's just such a beautiful car to drive and a real head turner!

General Comments:

I love the car, it smokes (drives superb) down the highway, it loves speed and premium gas - one thirsty kitty!

Handles like a dream and has 360 degree visuals - no blind spots whatsoever.

The cabin is small and cozy. I bought this car because my husbands 2007 Dodge Charger is like driving a tank and has as many blinds spots as a tank too - just too big for me, but this Jaguar is just right for me, and I am only five foot three and a half inches, and weigh 124 lbs, and if you are small this is the car for you!

Review Date: 13th September, 2008

1987 Jaguar XJ6 from North America

Year of manufacture1987

Summary:

I am so glad, even with its faults, that I purchased this car!

I don't know if the gas tanks are switching.

Oil Leak.

Leak in break line.

General Comments:

I purchased this car one month ago yesterday. We got it at a steal of $1000. It's the best running and riding car I've ever been in. However, listening to you guys maybe it's not the car for me. I would like to think a car should be functional. I drive my car everyday. Today was our first major problem.

I have never used my passenger-side gas tank before and although the fuel gauge is showing the right-side tank is operational, my car stopped today as though it was out of gas. As I was driving it, it started to decelerate and was chugging and spitting. Once I pulled over and turned it off, I tried to restart it and although it is turning over fine, it won't catch. I've run out of gas several times before. She is acting like she's running off the empty tank.

Any suggestions?

Review Date: 18th October, 2007

18th Oct 2007, 18:03

I have a 1987 XJ6 too. It is a real pleasure. My advice is to find a local mechanic who is experienced with the Series III Jag you have. He will fix your gas tank problem and anything else. Parts are plentiful and after market ones reasonably priced. If you were comfortable paying $400 a month on new car payments (that's $4,800 a year), than your Jag maintenance will be a good deal in comparison. It's a 20-year old car so things like gas line switches wear out. If you can't find an experienced Jag mechanic you can trust, then dump it.