1997 Jaguar XJ6 Reviews

1997 Jaguar XJ6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

Best Jag ever

Nothing except memory seat failure. Over 10 years, the car is perfect.

General Comments:

10 years of ownership, and the car is perfect. No failures.

Maintenance consists of the following: tires, hoses normal services. Total servicing approx. $2000.

1997 Jag. Best ever made. Most reliable engine. Last of the straight twin cam 6's. People ask about the car all the time, and it's 14 years old! The new V8's were not as reliable from 1998 to 2002. Next best thing to a Rolls Royce.

Review Date: 15th September, 2011

1997 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas 4.0 litre 6 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 4.0 litre 6 Automatic
Previous carJaguar XJ6

Summary:

The best vehicle I've owned in 30 years of driving!

Automatic trunk lock.

General Comments:

Most reliable of the 78 cars I have owned in my entire driving career.

I have owned four XJ6's from 1995-97 model years, and I cannot emphasis enough what outstanding vehicles they are. Buy one without question.

I have owned everything from Chevrolet to Rolls Royce, and without question the Jaguars have been the most trustworthy, reliable, dependable and also the best looking of all.

Research online, talk to other owners and speak to Jaguar mechanics, they will all say the same thing, they are bullet proof iron horses of the highway.

If you are thinking of an XJ8, think again and opt for the reliable alternative, the XJ6; same body, virtually same interior, but far superior motor.

Whatever the cost, the XJ6, especially the Vanden Plas, is worth the money. Forever sold on the Jaguar XJ6.

Review Date: 17th May, 2010

14th Aug 2010, 14:01

Sounds very good! I have been looking at getting a XJ6 or Daimler equivalent for some time, but unsure what to go for.

I absolutely love the series 3 ones from the 80's with the styling, but it seems that they're mostly money pits... a great shame. The x300 seems to tick all the boxes however - the 4.0 six is about the best engine they ever made and easy to service. All the forums in the UK say the V8 is big trouble, expensive to service and the early ones a total lemon.

Seems the '96-97 cars are best - all the bugs ironed out.

I also like the fact that the x300 is galvanised - a big plus that should save a lot. Am planning to get a Daimler Six 4.0 litre as a 'car for life' in the next couple of months.

Love all the interior bits on those cars and the Daimler grille etc., pure class and understated. They cost a bit more than the Jag, but I think it's worth it.

Final thing, this Car Survey site is brilliant - tells the truth of what all these cars are like in one place, without the BS!! Try getting that from a dealer.

Markus, England.

1997 Jaguar XJ6 4.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2009
Previous carMaserati Quattroporte

Summary:

Outstanding value for money, surprisingly well built, superbly comfortable

Part of the LCD display for the climate control has dimmed.

Headlining is sagging over the back seats and needs replacing.

General Comments:

I've recently returned from overseas, and wanted an interesting sedan for my gentle 20 km round-trip commute, but didn't want to spend a fortune.

I found this car for sale in Queensland with just 66K km from new, an elderly owner retiring from driving and in beautiful condition. I had the car inspected and a very thorough service performed. They also fitted a mono-strut in the rear suspension to tighten it up a little a-la-XJR - the ride is still superb though. The car was then shipped across the Nullabor to Perth where I've now been using it very happily for the last couple of months.

I'm seriously impressed by the smooth ride, effortless performance (it's not fast, but it's not supposed to be - "rapid" and "unstressed" are better words and if you press the "Sport" button it will spin to the red line with a very satisfying but civilised growl), quietness and general quality feel.

It also looks superb in Carnival red with leather Oatmeal and Antelope interior. It's a very late (Aug 1997 build) X300, which has a high spec - although not the Sovereign model, it has fully powered front seats, sunroof, CD stacker etc. - and crucially since I have 3 kids, three lap-sash seat belts across the rear seat.

The interior space of my standard wheelbase model is not generous for a car this size, but we have a people-mover for when we need a load of room.

The only niggle for me (I'm fairly tall) is that the seat belt upper mounting could do with going a couple of cm higher up the track, but I find the seat very comfortable, and I can achieve an excellent driving position. The boot is actually larger than I thought it would be (the space-saver spare helps), and if you pack it carefully with different sized bags, it will hold a surprising amount of stuff. My friends and family can't believe what good value it was, or that it is over 12 years old.

I love the slightly old-fashioned feel of the car, mated to a reasonable level of modern safety technology. I really wanted the last of the straight six cars rather than a V8 for exactly this reason. The V8 in my 1967 Maserati Quattroporte was pretty special, but for some reason I keep returning to a straight six - all my favourite cars over the years have been straight sixes.

Even though I drive fairly sedately, I am only getting about 15.5L/100Km (about 18.2 mpg) which is pretty ordinary, but even a short open road run sees this improve to about 12.5 without trying hard. Still, that's at least 50% better than the Quattroporte!

Overall I'm very happy indeed. I've found a good workshop here that specialise in Jaguars who will look after the car for me, so I'm all set for a long relationship with this car.

UPDATE IN JUNE 2013:

I stand by every word I said about this car three years ago. It is now nearly 16 years old and I have added 22,000 Km in the last three-and-a-half years of (almost) daily use. It has been very reliable. I've had it serviced every 6 months at Roadbend in Perth who are an excellent independent Jaguar workshop. The only failures have been two cooling system hoses (and one of those went on my driveway - convenient!). Apart from that I've replaced the front brake rotors/pads, an engine mount bush and a couple of the coil-in-plug units. I had the headlining replaced, the wing mirrors resprayed where they'd picked up some scuffs, and got the bulb in the climate control display replaced. Last year I bought a new set of Yokohama db tyres, as the old ones were nearly 10 years old and had got hard - what a difference that made! And that's it apart from routine oil/filter changes etc. The XJ is far cheaper to keep on the road than our 2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 (although that too has been reliable).

I recently drove over 600 km in a day averaging just over 100 km/h and got 10.4 l/100km using premium 98 octane fuel. Outstanding.

I'll check back in another three years and give you a further update - I fully expect to be running the car still!

Review Date: 9th February, 2010

26th Aug 2010, 23:25

Great to hear! Are you still getting trouble-free motoring from your big cat? I'm thinking about getting a Jag myself, and would be very interested to know how much it costs to maintain it per year. I mean, total cost of services, any replacement parts required, etc.

I'm presently driving a 1985 Toyota Corona (bought in 2004 with 186,000km on the clock), and over 6 and a half years, its cost an average of $600 a year to maintain. It's now got 251,000km on the clock and still going strong.

Anyway, I know a Jag will cost more to run than the old Corona... but how much more is the big question? Thanks in advance.