1998 Jaguar XJ8 Reviews - Page 3 of 5

1998 Jaguar XJ8 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1997
Previous carBMW 5 Series

Summary:

Classic looks, low maintenance costs

Front suspension bushings replaced three times; determined to be design defect and was cured after third time.

Driver's seat setting memory is faulty; doesn't return to set position.

Too much travel on brake pedal.

General Comments:

Car is driven only a few thousand miles a year. Wife, who is 5'3" loves the car due to comfort, ride and looks, and claims she will never get rid of it. I find it too cramped, hard to get in and out of (I'm 6'3"), and that it has poor trunk space, but once I'm in it and have finally got the seat set correctly, I like the smooth ride. It's a great long trip cruiser. But compared to my BMW I find it sluggish (even with the 290 hp V8) and spongy in turns. The interior is plush and the exterior looks are classic.

Another poor characteristic is the terrible resale value. The blue book as of 11/05 is only $11,800! The car is worth much more to us to keep than to sell since the replacement cost is so high (north of $60K?) for a car which still looks and feels like new.

Review Date: 13th November, 2005

1998 Jaguar XJ8 L 4.1 V 8 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 4.1 V 8 Automatic
Previous carJaguar XJ8

Summary:

I enjoy the car and would purchase another one

The inner panel of the trunk lid had a loose screw, pins in the driver's side door panel came a loose. The sun roof jumped off the track and had to have the radio replace due to faulty cassette player.

General Comments:

It has a smooth ride and agile handling, but recently I had the brakes fully serviced and they still continue to squeak. The dealer insists that this is just a characteristic of this car. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, have you found a solution?

Review Date: 4th September, 2005

23rd Jun 2013, 13:44

Yes, squeaky brakes, don't know how to get rid of it? Anybody want my Jag?

1998 Jaguar XJ8 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carBMW 7 Series

Summary:

Buy a 2001 or newer with the Select Edition Warranty

I have had stalling problems at high way speeds like everyone else. But, it has been fixed for free with the recent campaign letter that I received from Jaguar to replace the throttle body. Plus make sure that you have your part load breather cleaned at every Oil change and make sure that your dealer performs this. If you do both, your stall nightmares should be over. I can't understand where these complaints about acceleration performance are coming from. When in sport mode this car performs like it's animal name a fast Jaguar. In normal mode it tries to be economical, so of course you are not going to get the best performance results.

I have had my transmission replaced at 75,000 miles. The dealer wanted $7,000 for a new one. I shopped on-line and found a re manufactured one for $1,600 with a one-year warranty. The dealer charged me $1,168 to install it which $400 was for the expensive transmission fluid since the transmission was shipped with out any. The car is a dream to drive and it drives like no other car, but at 75,000 miles and replacing a transmission is kind of ridicules.

General Comments:

This car is exhilarating to drive, and I would not buy anything else for my daily driver. I have owned more than 11 cars in my lifetime and I am 28 years old. I have owned BMW's, Mercedes and Lexus and I do not think that BMW and Mercedes are any better. From my experience I have had a lot more problems with BMW and Mercedes especially than I have had with my Jaguar. The problem with Jaguar is that the dealers want to charge outrages prices for service just because you have and can afford a Jaguar. If you shop around for service and parts, you will save thousands.

Review Date: 21st October, 2004

1998 Jaguar XJ8 3.2 litre from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 3.2 litre Automatic
Previous carJaguar XJ6

Summary:

Smooth, Fast and elegant cruiser

The boot courtesy lights did not work when I took ownership of the car.

Passenger seat electric headrest not working.

Windscreen Wiper motor is faulty and stops at annoying times without warning at any random position on the screen "Dangerous when travelling at speed on the motorway". Jaguar want £211 + vat for a new motor assembly OUCH!. Some switches don't illuminate.

I have, since purchasing the car discovered that the engines in this year range were "Nickasil" treated in the piston bores, this can mean disastrous and total loss of compression requiring engine replacement.

Jaguar were not the only manufacturer to use this treatment, and all the others had serious problems with it.

I'll keep this site posted as to my experience with this Jag. FINGERS CROSSED.

General Comments:

The car is fantastic to look at and drives superbly well, the engine is very powerful compared to the XJ6 3.2 and the auto transmission is silky smooth, scary on kick-down.

The interior is very luxurious and nothing rattles or knocks even over bad road surfaces.

Road and engine noise are absolutely minimum, credit to Jaguar for superb build quality.

The faults on this car are forgivable for the age and mileage. Except for the wipers which should not malfunction on a luxury of this age.

Review Date: 19th October, 2004

6th Jul 2005, 06:41

I'am looking at purchasing a pre owned 1998 XJ8in Canada. Car has only 40000 miles to date and it is from a reputable dealership. Are there any specific recalls or recommendations you can provide for this vehicle?

What is your opinion too buy or not to buy?

3rd Nov 2005, 04:38

BEWARE...If like me You have a 1998 3.2 V8 you also probably have the plasic cam chain tensioner. Mine went at 70,000 mile. The car has a FULL jag service history. The engine needs a total re build and a new piston.

John 07800702559 if you have a question.

The water Pump is also VERY suspect on this model.

31st Oct 2006, 09:48

My 98 XJ8 has the "nikasil" liner engine - it's done 160K miles - still going strong. The car does suffer from the annoying stalling wiper fault.

The engine used to cut-out occasionally when warming up, then restart without a problem, the dealer cleaned out the throttle body and reflashed the ECU with up to date software - this cured the problem.

14th Dec 2008, 16:14

The electrical system of my Jag XJ6 Sport (1996 and 39,000 mls from new) seems to have gone haywire. All lights turn on and wipers work without ignition key in - and when key is in, it cannot be removed without battery disconnection. Windscreen wash also works spontaneously. Anyone with any ideas?