1998 Jaguar XJ8 3.2 litre from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Smooth, Fast and elegant cruiser

The boot courtesy lights did not work when I took ownership of the car.

Passenger seat electric headrest not working.

Windscreen Wiper motor is faulty and stops at annoying times without warning at any random position on the screen "Dangerous when travelling at speed on the motorway". Jaguar want £211 + vat for a new motor assembly OUCH!. Some switches don't illuminate.

I have, since purchasing the car discovered that the engines in this year range were "Nickasil" treated in the piston bores, this can mean disastrous and total loss of compression requiring engine replacement.

Jaguar were not the only manufacturer to use this treatment, and all the others had serious problems with it.

I'll keep this site posted as to my experience with this Jag. FINGERS CROSSED.

General Comments:

The car is fantastic to look at and drives superbly well, the engine is very powerful compared to the XJ6 3.2 and the auto transmission is silky smooth, scary on kick-down.

The interior is very luxurious and nothing rattles or knocks even over bad road surfaces.

Road and engine noise are absolutely minimum, credit to Jaguar for superb build quality.

The faults on this car are forgivable for the age and mileage. Except for the wipers which should not malfunction on a luxury of this age.

Review Date: 19th October, 2004

6th Jul 2005, 06:41

I'am looking at purchasing a pre owned 1998 XJ8in Canada. Car has only 40000 miles to date and it is from a reputable dealership. Are there any specific recalls or recommendations you can provide for this vehicle?

What is your opinion too buy or not to buy?

3rd Nov 2005, 04:38

BEWARE...If like me You have a 1998 3.2 V8 you also probably have the plasic cam chain tensioner. Mine went at 70,000 mile. The car has a FULL jag service history. The engine needs a total re build and a new piston.

John 07800702559 if you have a question.

The water Pump is also VERY suspect on this model.

31st Oct 2006, 09:48

My 98 XJ8 has the "nikasil" liner engine - it's done 160K miles - still going strong. The car does suffer from the annoying stalling wiper fault.

The engine used to cut-out occasionally when warming up, then restart without a problem, the dealer cleaned out the throttle body and reflashed the ECU with up to date software - this cured the problem.

14th Dec 2008, 16:14

The electrical system of my Jag XJ6 Sport (1996 and 39,000 mls from new) seems to have gone haywire. All lights turn on and wipers work without ignition key in - and when key is in, it cannot be removed without battery disconnection. Windscreen wash also works spontaneously. Anyone with any ideas?

1998 Jaguar XJ8 from North America

Summary:

A wonderful mix of sport and luxury

The majority of problems encountered have been cosmetic and covered under the Select Edition Warranty. The head liner began to sag and was replaced, the CD player, the seals around the sunroof and two pieces of wood veneer all had to be replaced (free of charge).

The only mechanical difficulty was with something called a trumble bearing (unsure of spelling) in the rear wheel area. The dealer had difficulty reproducing the problem. Once they did, it was promptly fixed at no charge.

General Comments:

I love this car. I wish I had purchased the long version for more legroom in the back seat. Other than that, I have never owned a more comfortable car to drive for long distances. The front seating area is very comfortable. Acceleration, braking, handling are all excellent in this driver's opinion. I do wish they had relocated the interior trunk release button. At 6'1" I sometimes hit the trunk release with my knee at inconvenient times.

The Select Edition used car warranty from the dealer is wonderful. It's better than any new car warranty I've ever had. Whatever I complained about, the dealer either fixed or replaced.

There is some slight cracking in the front leather seats. Had I caught this in time (before the cosmetic portion of the warranty expired) the dealer would have even replaced the leather.

Once the Select Edition Warranty runs out in August 2004, I may or may not start shopping for another vehicle. Chances are I'll keep it until my first really big repair bill.

Review Date: 24th December, 2003

22nd Dec 2004, 20:26

Well in response to the last comment I don't think it has any merit what-so-ever. I DROVE a Toyota Tercel, and am going out to buy a 98 Jag Xj8.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the wiring harness on them, and where can I find a right head-light assembly, grill, front bumper, and bumper cover, and a wiring harness (where I can find them and the prices)

This would be very helpful to me if anyone can pass me on some detail's thank you, I hope this car works out, the car is really for my father, I think it's about time he drove a nice car again.