1990 Jaguar XJS Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1990 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 Auto Convertible from UK and Ireland

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1990
Previous carJaguar XJS

Summary:

A super luxurious fast convertible from the past

Air conditioning heater valve blocked up after some regular use. A/C system seals and modern gas conversion carried out at the same time.

Lower radiator hose split, luckily only yards from my house so turned engine off immediately.

Replaced all hoses as a precaution.

General Comments:

A beautiful super cat car in red, looks elegant with hood up or down.

How many other convertible cars in 1990 had air conditioning, a heated glass rear window and a power hood, and a V12 super smooth engine?

Interior seats very comfortable cabin oozes with leather, wood and class.

Car best performs with optional front cross brace fitted to reduce scuttle shake in the original design.

This is the only convertible I have been in where I can't hear the engine with the hood up or down. Just bags of super smooth torque is what its all about.

A future classic in the making like the XJS coupe.

Review Date: 12th April, 2006

1990 Jaguar XJS Coupe 3.6 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1990
Previous carFord Sierra

Summary:

A fantastic, but sometimes grumpy cat

Passenger electric window wouldn't go up.

Air con doesn't blow out very cold air.

Headlining stained and rotten.

Elm dash and ski slope are badly faded with some cracking.

Front shock absorber bushes shot.

Bonnet piston stays didn't work.

Front nearside wheel bearing suspect.

Has a penchant for blowing bulbs, a seemingly never ending chase around the car replacing them and the causes.

General Comments:

Parts aren't as expensive as I first thought, 2 new shocks and new bonnet piston stays came in at under £100.

This has to be the most comfortable car I've ever been in, makes motorways effortless.

The car is deceptively quick and quiet, check your speedometer if you value your license.

Rear seats are all, but useless for putting people in.

Steering is very direct, very little wheel turn lock to lock. It's still a big car though.

Not too many of them on the road anymore so some exclusivity.

Review Date: 26th July, 2005

24th Nov 2006, 07:27

In response to the person indicating that their XJS has a tendency for blown exterior lamps, I suggest the following:

If you leave car outdoors in damp weather consistently, which I did for a number of years, it's a good idea to remove all lamps, use 220 grit sand paper and lightly etch-out (clean) existing rust, and, or, staining you might discover at both poles. Never had chronically blown lamps again in my 1989 XJS.

1990 Jaguar XJS V12 from North America

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1990
Engine and transmission V12 Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

The car is worth all maintenance expenses

1. My steering hose broke and is extremely labor intensive to fix. Cost about $1,000 to fix.

2. My trunck will just not close properly. I spend over $250 on this darn thing and every few months it wiggles its way out and starts to look as if the trunck is partly opened. Very annoying.

3. Driver door had a problem where the door would not open from the inside. Yes, as you can imagine it's extremely embarrassing having to hop over to the passenger side in the middle of a crowded parking lot. I fixed it immediately at the cost of $900.

4. Power heated seats do not get warm. I don't care to fix this as I could care less. But I imagine it would cost at least a few hundred.

5. Water pump for the wipers died. Again, I don't care to fix, but my local mechanic said it would cost at least a few hundred.

6. Radiator died. Cost $1,000 to fix.

7. Transmission is slightly slipping, but my mechanic said to hold off for now. It's a major job.

8. Driver window sticks in dry weather half way down. Problem still persists despite having spent $200 having it fixed.

9. Two bushings failed. Cost about $800 to fix both with labor.

10. The rest I'll sum up as all misc. But I probably spent another $2,000 fixing other problems here and there I just can't remember.

General Comments:

I bought this car from the original owner. He was a very wealthy older guy, and sold me the car with just 34,000 miles for only $7,000. Anyways, the car never really had major problems and I love it.

I'll never sell this car no matter what happens. To me it's a work of art and I'm happy just letting it sit in my driveway. It's also the most comfortable car I ever owned. The leather creates such a beautiful aroma in the car too. It just smells like very high quality leather.

The engine has never had any problems at all. I hear many faults of XJS's, but the actual engine is rarely mentioned as having any faults. I can see why since my mechanic, who probably would love to milk me, said it's perfect.

The electrical reputation jag has isn't really an issue with me. A few things, but for me, it's all just fine.

The transmission is starting to show little hints from time to time that it may be on the way out. But I'd say it's still drives like 95 percent. It's just scary because I know what the cost to fix the tranny is on these cars.

Other than that the Jaguar XJS was worth every penny I paid, and much more. It's beautiful, classy, and performs very well. The car seems to really lock into its stride over 75MPH. I mean driving 110MPH on the interstate, and you still feel in control and very safe. The car just seems built for speed. Also, it's surprisingly quiet even passing the 100 mark.

Review Date: 17th May, 2005

11th Jan 2006, 02:33

I brought my 1978 model 7 years ago when I was only 21. It is midnight blue and has a Walkinshaw body kit with Simmonds wheels. The engine has been modified with a few HE parts. The previous owner said it would do 160mph.

Dad always had XJ6 Jags, and despite minor problems, I always loved riding in them as a kid. One day a friend told me of one that I could look at, as I had never seen an XJS in the flesh. He took me for a drive and I instantly fell in love. I asked him if it was for sale; it wasn't, but because his wife was very sick, he said he would consider it. Four months later and $17,000, I had it parked in my garage. I can still remember driving it home, it was like a dream, I couldn't believe I had my dream car at 21. The best thing was none of my friends could judge it, because they knew nothing about them. Everyone was blown away with the effortless power.

Everything that can be a problem was replaced by the last owner, including wiring harness and engine sensors. It can sit for a month and start straight away without charging the battery. I do all my own work on it, and love that as much as driving it. I can't fault the car; they are an engineering masterpiece.