1985 Jeep Cherokee Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1985 Jeep Cherokee 2.8L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8L V6 Manual
Distance when acquired200000 kilometres
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

An AMC Abomination!

What an abomination! What was AMC thinking putting an underpowered 2.8l V6 into such a heavy wagon. (SUV).

Even after rebuild, motor leaked constantly, clutch had to be replaced repeatedly and serious transfer case problems after 200,000kms. Loud whine and then clunk on the highway-SCARY!

Window on passenger back liked popping off. Pulled over for speeding after dyno test revealed speedo head assembly out by 20km/hr. Replaced.

Heater core went-replaced for $200.

General Comments:

Lots of comfort for big people. Rear seats folding down quite practical for loading. Unreliability makes this a bad investment.

Review Date: 4th February, 2003

26th Feb 2003, 11:08

AMC Abomination? The 2.8 V-6 is Chevy engine. Did the person that rebuilt the V-6 even know what they were doing? Brand new gaskets shouldn't leak unless they are not properly installed. As far as the transfer case goes, perhaps you or the previous owner ran the truck in 4wd on the pavement. This ruins them pretty quick. Later Cherokees had a 4.0L six that is much more powerful.

1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2.5 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

I have absolute faith and trust in this work horse

The only major problem I had was with the A/C. The motor seized up on the highway, and resulted in my serpentine belt breaking.

General Comments:

It's not fast, but it's dependable.

This vehicle has run up and down from NY to Florida, and from Florida to New Orleans.

Wonderful vehicle.

Review Date: 13th November, 2002

16th Dec 2003, 08:42

I like my Jeep Cherokee, but don't get one with a rebuilt transmission because they don't run at all.

1985 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Liter 4-cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 2.5 Liter 4-cylinder Automatic

Summary:

The best (and cheapest) 4x4 on the planet!

Aside from a minor crack in the dash and a leaky carburetor gasket which I replaced, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with my Jeep.

General Comments:

I bought my Cherokee in 1998 as a 'project car' to drive when I turned 16. After I rebuilt the engine and gave it a good inferno red paint job, the car looked and drove like new. To this day, nothing has gone wrong with it. The Cherokee has gone through everything I've taken it through, and the four wheel drive is flawless! For $2,300, I have one of the best looking (yet affordable) 4x4's in the school parking lot.

Review Date: 7th June, 2002

20th Aug 2004, 00:14

Hey man, what's up with your 1985 XJ.. I just got one with the 2.8L dog. Did you find a front skidplate for it?

14th May 2006, 10:40

Hey I just picked up the same thing for $2300 also. do you know what I can do to turn into a decent off roader for next to no money?

24th Oct 2006, 21:48

(same 14 year old kid from other comment)

I also have an '85 Cherokee with over 300,000 km. It too is my first vehicle and by the time I'm 16, it should be fixed up real nice. My dad and me recently won a custom air brush paint job by a local artist. Well, believe it or not the Jeep is gonna receive this prize. I have done lots of work to it and it was worth the money. I have put on a new exhaust system, (custom of course) a chrome 1 barrel air cleaner (looks like it's for a lawn mower) and a tune-up to make it run right. This vehicle is a blast to drive and it may be gutless, but it's loud, fun and I love it.