1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2.5 Liter Hurricane from North America

Keep on rolling

Rebuilt clutch & replaced the slave cylinder.

Rebuilt rear differential.

Rebuilt engine at approx 200,000.

Replaced shocks.

Replaced brakes & master cylinder.

Replaced alternator.

Problems with the heat since under warranty, & a blower switch later, & even a mechanic could not find a new switch anywhere, & neither could I. Mechanic ended up sticking a toggle switch on it to try & help out, but that quit eventually.

Another mechanic damaged the ignition switch & a relay module allegedly repairing the tilt wheel (I used to have it tightened every 60-70k - fast, easy & cheap. Then I got transferred to this area & this mechanic at a chain operation said he could fix it & damaged all these things, & then the good mechanic & myself could not find replacement parts).

Replaced headliner.

Regular general maintenance.

General Comments:

This vehicle keeps on going. This vehicle is not fancy & is noisy (even for a hard of hearing guy), but it has literally been through hell & high water, & still gets there time after time. This is not a Cadillac, but I firmly believe I could take off for Alaska & this old gal would get me there.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2015

1985 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2.5L gas from North America

Can't see myself selling it

Have replaced clutch master, slave cylinder, fuel pump, rear pinion seal, clutch pedal, shocks, as well as regular tune up parts, filters, plugs, wires, rotor, etc.

Can see previous repairs to door hinges (not good repairs).

In process of redoing the brakes, front pads worn out, so probably a good indication the rest of the system needs some TLC.

It still needs the vacuum system corrected, exhaust fixed (probably a manifold gasket or donut ring), and a tune up.

General Comments:

I've never owned a Jeep before. I bought it for two reasons; one - I wanted a 4x4, and two - it looked fun.

Although this is no power house, it is the most fun vehicle I've owned.

So far, all repairs I've done to this Jeep stem from poor maintenance, and the vehicle sitting for over 2 years.

So far I have only managed to get it stuck twice; first time I was stuck, sitting in 3 to 4 feet of water, with my axle hung up. With a little tug from a Chevy Astro, the Jeep climbed out under its own power.

Second time, I think with better tires, I would not have got stuck.

Not much I can say bad about this vehicle; parts are hard to find, new or used. I would buy another, and am currently looking for another; my wife wants one LoL.

Review Date: 13th November, 2011

1985 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Custom 2.8 from North America

Reliable and fun

The back end got smashed out and turned into wooden box. But and rear drive train leaks abit, but that's to be expected. Engine was rebuilt at 116k miles. The transmission once was automatic, but that was replaced with manual transmission. Seat cushions have bad wear and missing the headliner.

General Comments:

I would recommend any jeep before Dodge bought them out along time ago. Its been reliable and runs great in the winter. Starts up and ready to go.

Review Date: 12th December, 2007

1985 Jeep Cherokee CommandTrac 2Dr 2.5 Liter 4 Cylinder from North America

The only thing that has ever gone wrong was a censor went bad and I thought the motor was blown, so I tore the motor down just to notice that a censor has been completely ripped out (probably due to offroading) and ever since the jeep has ran flawlessly and continues to do so... it doesn't even burn oil at nearly 200k miles.

I have the what I like to call "desert storm tan" color on the jeep, but I am considering changing the color now due to its starting to fade.

General Comments:

The thing is unstoppable in bad weather and mud/snow/sand. I've had mud to the frame rails and it just powers through it. in sand its like driving on a newly paved road and ice is a joke. this thing laughs at all obstacles. I've climbed rock walls, through creeks, even through a 4 ft deep pond (with the help of a breather tube and a snorkel for myself). This thing is amazing and I'm looking forward to another 200k miles.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2007