2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 V6 from North America

Summary:

I love it

At 179,000 miles, had to replace the transmission.

This Liberty has been everywhere, both on and off road, and we have had no trouble with it at all. If we could buy a new Liberty with the old body style, we would; don't care for the new model

General Comments:

Great SUV.

Review Date: 25th August, 2012

25th Aug 2012, 09:12

Exactly why I bought a 2007 Liberty Limited last year (my 3rd).

I love the Liberty, but couldn't live with the 2008 - present body style.

25th Aug 2012, 12:12

The current style in my opinion is a lot better than the top-heavy looking previous style.

25th Aug 2012, 22:49

I love this review.

"...we have had no trouble with it at all."

"At 179,000 miles, had to replace the transmission."

Haha!!!

26th Aug 2012, 12:12

Styling is very subjective - I just happen to prefer the older rounded style to the boxy styling on the newer models.

There is nothing wrong with the newer style Liberties, for those who happen to prefer its styling.

26th Aug 2012, 12:13

I think 179,000 miles out of a transmission is pretty good compared to a lot of vehicles I read about on this and other sites.

27th Aug 2012, 11:34

179,000 miles on this transmission is VERY good. The Chrysler Ultradrive transmission is notoriously problematic and has been recalled several times.

5th Oct 2012, 17:49

Although styling is subjective, I must say there is nothing "top heavy" about the styling of the original Liberty. IMO it is STILL one of the best looking SUVs available. Much better than the cookie-cutter look-alikes on the market nowadays. To me, they all look like KIAs.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 V6 from North America

My check engine light came on. I took it into the dealer, and was told I had an internal problem with the engine. I am covered under the warranty. It is hard to believe that Chrysler could produce such a low quality engine.

Seats stain with water. I have also had air conditioning problems.

I will never buy a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge again!

General Comments:

I think the Jeep rides rough on the highway. It is great in the snow, but the engine and overall problems with this vehicle are bad.

Review Date: 16th October, 2010

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 3.7L V6 from North America

Summary:

It's a Jeep

- Ball joint recall

- Power window switches replaced under warranty; soaked them with coffee and they quit working. Go figure.

The only other things that have gone wrong with my Jeep are the things that I broke while driving it.

General Comments:

Not my first Jeep. Hate it when folks call it a "car". Aside from the AMC Eagle, there are no real 4wd cars out there. I test drove a Ford Escape (couldn't tow my boat), a RAV4, felt too much like a car without a real 4wd system (viscous couplings are NOT 4wd), and a Kia Sorento, nice, but no thanks.

I love my KJ, I've had it for 5 years now and it hasn't let me down once. It's taken me everywhere. I put a lift on it, some fat MTs and some performance goodies.

Review Date: 11th June, 2010

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 V6 from North America

Summary:

First and last FWD SUV, which gets us where we need to go

Brakes rubbed before we got off the dealer lot. Replaced pads twice, and they still rub when cold.

Ball joint recall - replaced, but never was an issue.

Rear window regulators, BOTH went bad. 1st one under warranty. 2nd one cost $375 to replace. Both have since gone bad AGAIN, but we just glued the windows shut.

Gas mileage pig, but at over 4000 pounds empty, what do you expect?

General Comments:

My wife won this car (cost us tax and plates) and since we are a one car family, she does not drive, we got rid of my eight year old T-bird.

We just reached 5 years of ownership. It is a very hard ride for us. Lots of speed bumps in parking lots here, and it doesn't like them.

The gas mileage sucks.

The window regulator issue is just dumb. If they break that easily, Mopar should have replaced them with better parts.

I read about the seats staining easily, so we avoided eating in it. No kids, so that is not an issue.

Overall it's reliable transportation, and even though we have the 4 wheel drive and towing package, we've never been off road to try it out.

Review Date: 16th February, 2010

17th Feb 2010, 19:10

The Jeep Liberty is not FWD (which by the way stands for front wheel drive).

10th Aug 2010, 09:21

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but the Liberty is in fact FWD.

10th Aug 2010, 10:01

I was incorrect on that last comment. The Liberty is not FWD, I was mistaken.

16th Aug 2010, 16:19

Complaining about a recalled balljoint that never gave you a problem... seems pointless. And they're Rear Wheel Drive (when not 4x4).