2008 Jeep Patriot Reviews - Page 2 of 4

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD 2.4 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

Durable, comfortable, capable, and economical

Tire pressure sensor replaced at 50,000 miles.

Nothing else at all.

General Comments:

While it may not be the best car in every category, it would be close. It was inexpensive to purchase, and I've spent next to nothing on repairs (1 tire pressure sensor).

It's easy on tires and I'm still on the original brakes. Good handling and ride on the highways, and fabulous in snow, even without 4WD.

It's not a performance vehicle, but acceleration is acceptable, and better than expected for a 4 cylinder.

Fuel economy is excellent for an SUV: high 20s MPG overall, low 30s on a long trip at 55-65 mph.

At 85,000 miles, the driver's seat is showing some wear.

Only complaints:

1) I wish the rear window opened without the whole gate.

2) Rare tire size / few options - you must find something close and argue with the dealers if you're not staying with OEM size.

Review Date: 20th April, 2012

1st Apr 2014, 23:37

Not even a Lexus would go 85000 miles without a single issue. There is not a single vehicle of any brand on the market that will show such reliability figure.

8th Apr 2014, 09:31

Now at 145,000 miles I've finally come to a few repairs. Since last year I've replaced the front and rear brakes, and the ball joints. Overall maintenance costs have been low. However, the CVT transmission was replaced (free under the lifetime warranty). If I'd had to pay for that I wouldn't be a happy camper, but since it cost me nothing, I'm OK with it. Still thrilled with the fuel economy: 30+ MPG on a trip, always above 25 MPG.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4 DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4 DOHC Semi-Automatic
Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

Best inexpensive compact SUV

Water leak in the rear hatch starting around 34,000 miles.

Ball joints/lower control arms replaced at 47,000 miles.

Both ball joints/lower control arms went bad at 29,000 miles.

Goodyear R16 tires wear down fast.

Front end rotors need to be replaced soon.

Rubber strip on bottom of windshield constantly comes off.

General Comments:

The overall design of the car is attractive.

The cabin colors are also attractive, My interior is black and silver.

The Yes! Essentials fabric on the seats works well and is terrific; it repels stains and odors.

I just don't understand why only the driver's window switch illuminates and not the others...?

Car is at 51,000 miles, and has had no problems under the hood.

Review Date: 10th August, 2010

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4 petrol from Mexico

Engine and transmission 2.4 petrol Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

Good amigo

None really; some noises in the plastic side of the driver's door and under the passenger seat, but not important.

General Comments:

We are happy with this car.

After two years driving on those bad roads of the country side of Jalisco, México, it has less noises than I expected. We do not use it for trails, but for poor surface roads with mud, stones and strong rain, this Jeep is the master! Easy to clean, terrific brakes (it is easy to crash with ranchero drivers around!) and good enough for fuel efficiency.

On the highway it is not a rocket, especially at 2,800 meters high altitude, but is OK.

More reliable than our previous S10 Blazer.

Review Date: 27th May, 2010

1st Mar 2011, 15:34

Now after 66,000 kms, our Patriot still goes without a failure. More small noises here and there, the shock absorbers seem to wear. May be due poor surfaces of roads. The only complaint is the poor service from dealers.

Still a nice car to drive, still feel strong. My wife loves her "carrito".

2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4 from North America

Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Yuck

Radio broken and replaced by dealer twice. Heater fan broken and replaced by dealer... now it's going out again.

Problem with headlight - dealer did something with wiring to fix.

Rattling from rear end - not major, not going to fix anyway.

At 57,000 the motor making loud tapping noise on start-up (must be a valve or something expensive?) Let's see if Chrysler honors their lifetime powertrain warranty (I have my doubts).

General Comments:

I own a business and have 3 Jeep Patriots - all bought new. I have grown to hate these cars. The CVT transmission is unpleasant -- always buzzing around and has a weird feel to it -- punch the gas when you need to and it waits... motor always reving. All 3 do this.

Seats suck -- uncomfortable -- drivers knee forced to rest on the nasty plastic shifter console.

Visibility sucks also - weird little windows with big blocky obstructions. All three of my Patriots make weird popping noises from the back of the car - don't know if this is loose interior trim or the rear suspension or what, but it seems to start after 30K or so; kind of gets into your head while driving like it's sloppy and cheap.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2009

4th Nov 2009, 06:32

The Jeep Patriot is one of the vehicles the new Fiat owned Chrysler Corp. will be discontinuing.

I miss the good old days when the Jeep lineup consisted of the Wrangler, Cherokee & Grand Wagoneer (and later) Grand Cherokee.

In my opinion the old Wranglers and Cherokees were the best Jeeps ever made.

29th Nov 2009, 12:01

I have a headlight problem. Wondering if it is the same? My passenger high beam works, but not low. My driver's side is fine.

13th Dec 2009, 22:11

Hi- the headlight problem is solved by having the dealer reprogram the body computer. It's happened now twice -- same deal high beams worked, but DS lowbeam didn't.

25th Jan 2010, 10:47

Purchased 08 Patriot 4x2 Sport new. Sunroof leaked. Rear dome light leaks and dealer does not know how to fix it. I filed a complaint with Chrysler, still waiting results. Engine is loud, CVT tranny is not the best. Wish I never bought this vehicle.

22nd Feb 2010, 13:44

You would think that the manufacturers would encourage their own employees to buy their brand. I hope they drive and go through these issues. I was considering this CUV for a next daily driver, but if water leaked on to me while driving, I would snap.

20th Feb 2011, 17:42

Hi. I'm the original poster. I thought I'd add more savory comments in case anyone is interested.

All 3 Patriots needed alternators because the Mitsubishi alternator has a clutch on the pulley that goes bad. One went to 100K, the others went bad at 60-70K. It sucks to replace, a very tight fit.

Next all need ball joints, I guess the Patriots are no exception to Chrysler's legendary garbage parts. Suspension loose, flimsy, clunks on bumps, no fun!

Anything good? These aren't really awful units, just CHEAP and you will feel it ALL day long. The 2.4 engine seems pretty good, but not a Swiss watch either.

27th Sep 2012, 21:39

Check the bulb, and if that's OK, then it's probably a fuse blown.

Happened to me in a VW Golf.