1989 Jeep Wrangler Base 2.5 liter from North America

Summary:

Mighty Mouse

Repairs:

Replaced Radiator

Replaced Thermostat

Replaced 4X4 Vacuum harness

Replaced Idle Motor.

General Comments:

Overall this Wrangler rides smoother on road than my Explorer ever did and off road it is more capable. You can take it apart and work on it very easily. The parts are inexpensive and readily available. I am very impressed so far. The 4 cylinder with the manual 5 speed is a good combination. It performs good on road and excellent off road. The Throttle Body EFI works flawlessly off road and on road. I've been told my car has lasted this long because of the EFI and that most carb models have conked out years ago.

Review Date: 30th August, 2006

1989 Jeep Wrangler S 2.5L from North America

Summary:

There's only one!

Right off the bat I had to replace the tires, brakes, radiator, thermostat (with housing),idle control motor, belts and hoses. In addition, I had to replace the vacuum harness for the 4 wheel drive.

I have also replaced the liftgate lifts, inner door pull handles, sunvisors. I have also purchased miscellaneous interior parts.

General Comments:

I got a good deal on it and the body is rust-free so I don't mind that I had to sink some money into it. I plan on keeping it for a long time anyway. I live in New River, AZ and I am right next to the Tonto National Forest. I have taken it 4 wheeling and it has performed perfectly. People complement me on it and can't believe that it is 17 years old.

The hardtop that came with it is great and I can drive without worrying about the heat and dust of the desert. It can be removed and one can enjoy the fresh air as well on cooler days.

Review Date: 27th April, 2006

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4L from North America

Enigne runs rough.

Always smells of fuel.

General Comments:

I recently purchased a 1989 Jeep Wrangler. I only paid $4000.00 for it and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I live in the desert in Arizona and am not sure if the heat plays a problem with the way it runs or not. Ever since I got it, it seems to run really rough. Always smells of fuel and if I drive it around town awhile, it has trouble starting, and acts like its flooded. I had the carb rebuilt and that seemed to help, but only lasted a few months. We don't have a problem with the smog police in Az which is probably why there are hoses (Vacuum, etc) missing everywhere.

Because I live in a small town, you never know who to trust when it comes to mechanics. I was thinking of replacing all the fuel lines, but am not convinced that is the major problem. I read about the 89 carbs being crap so now I'm thinking I need to start there. Is replacing the carb something a weekend handyman can do? And where would you suggest purchasing one?. I'm not a big fan of JC Whitney, or some of the other mail order companies. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Bill Reynolds.

Review Date: 11th December, 2005

21st Apr 2006, 13:27

I had an '89 Wrangler that smelled of fuel. Turned out there was a gas tank overflow vent/valve that had broken. I had to poke around the right rear under body to see the thing and replace the part (there are some plastic panels to remove). Cheap, but time consuming. Take a look back there and see if that little vent is broken or disconnected.

1989 Jeep Wrangler Islander 4.2 liter Inline 6 from North America

Summary:

A great investment and a great sight to look at

Engine is somewhat leaking oil.

Vent flaps won't close automatically (with switch).

Smoke leaks into cabin through shift boot.

Problems with electrical system.

Bad tailgate hinges from heavy spare tire.

Right speaker goes in and out.

Parking brake doesn't work.

General Comments:

This vehicle is great for off-roading and for in the winter time when plenty of traction is necessary.

The soft top is a real pain to take off and put on.

The acceleration is great for a vehicle with only 117 horsepower.

Plenty of parts available which is a plus.

When driving faster than 40, the cabin becomes very loud, but is still surprisingly warm in the winter.

The four-wheel-drive system works great.

The seats are comfortable on long trips and there is plenty of both leg room and head room.

Despite there being vinyl windows, the visibility is great wherever you look.

The ride does get fairly uncomfortable with choppy roads or many bumps.

Review Date: 28th November, 2005

12th Apr 2008, 20:28

Jeep Wranglers suck!! Jeep Wranglers are great!! This is the dilema of a Jeep owner. I love my some times annoying but fun machine. You want to blow it up sometimes. But you never will.

13th Apr 2008, 17:17

I don't want to blow my Wrangler up - I've got far too much money invested in it!