1989 Jeep Wrangler Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1989 Jeep Wrangler Yj Loredo Straight 6 from North America

Engine and transmission Straight 6 Manual
Distance when acquired200000 kilometres

Summary:

Solid, but costly

My fan belt went at 212,000 km.

Seats are breaking down just normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

I strongly recommend this vehicle to any new driver.

The jeep is not good on gas so be prepared to pay at the pumps.

Off-road capabilities are excellent.

In an accident the exterior held up fine, but everything internal blew apart.

Review Date: 24th May, 2005

1989 Jeep Wrangler Islander 4.2L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2L Manual
Previous carAudi allroad quattro

Summary:

Great Jeep love this thing!

I have owend my Jeep YJ Islander for 2 years now and I haven't had any major problems.

It runs really strong, but if you do decide to take your Jeep Islander off-roading it is possible to get the distributor wet. This causes the Jeep to bog a little bit. It takes about 5-10 minutes to dry and then it runs fine.

It is fairly hard to do though, as it has only happened to me once while I was going across a creek which was 3-4 feet deep.

General Comments:

This is a great vehicle for city driving, but not so great on the highway.

I love my Jeep in the summer, rolling with the top down and cruising around the city. It is surprisingly a babe magnet too, the girls seem to love it. With the top down it isn't very noisy or windy until you start getting into heavier speeds (70km/h+). If you do decide to go on the highway with the top off it is fairly noisy and windy.

I love the way the Jeep handles in the city, and it doesn't get horrible gas mileage either. But once again if you take it on the highway the ride isn't as comfortable and the gas mileage isn't great.

This is a great city truck with awesome comfort and is really practical. If you are planning on doing heavy highway driving I wouldn't recommend it though.

Review Date: 6th March, 2005

2nd Jan 2009, 15:43

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the original decals for the Islander?

2nd Feb 2010, 09:44

Go to a good sign shop that specializes in vinyl. They can cut them for you.

1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Summary:

Just like a leatherman, best all-round tool there is

Radiator was damaged. Front U joints (axle) were worn. Wasn't very pretty inside or out. Some bubbling paint and rust.

Fuel gage lies.

Have since replaced the radiator, water pump, and belts. Bought and carry a gas can (full) Will replace the u-joints and work on the appearance when I get some time.

General Comments:

Bought the Jeep from a farmer that used it daily for farm work (8 years). I've been doing the same and driving it to work sometimes also. I haven't been embarrassed other than running out of gas now and then. I live in Germany and drive accordingly (my trips to work are usually between 70 and 90 Mph which is the reason for the bad gas mileage). Not the quickest thing on the road when pulling a loaded horse trailer, but hangs with a tractor when pulling a water tank or loaded wagon across a field.

Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2004

1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5 Semi-Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

It's a Jeep, enough said!

Upon purchase it needed :

1. Crankshaft sensor.

2. Fuel pump relay.

3. Alternator.

General Comments:

Other than the above mentioned items and regular maintenance items this vehicle has been great!

Lot's of fun and many options available for that customized look.

Fellow Jeep owners wave, you feel like part of a family.

Don't expect a quiet or soft ride. This is a serious off road vehicle.

Review Date: 12th November, 2003

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ Islander 4.2 I6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2 I6 Manual
Previous carAcura Vigor

Summary:

Get ready for a love-hate relationship!!

Things that have gone wrong... hope there is enough storage space.

1. CRACKED INTAKE MANIFOLD. I bought my yj on the cheap as a summer fun vehicle. It cost $ 4500 CAD, not a bad deal! It looked good and I didn't know anything about jeeps. I test drove it and seemed to be alright. made an offer and paid. When I went to drive her home she stumbled and stalled. Drove it home and thought she needed a good tune up. Replaced all of the general stuff (plugs, cap, rotor, all filters, set timing, etc) Still no good. Took it to one shop-they charged me $100 and told me I had a vacuum leak. Took it to another shop and $600 later a new manifold and decent running.

2. CLUTCH FAILED. A real pain, but expected as the jeep had 178000 km. Took to a mechanic and made a deal for $250 labour and I supply parts. Big MISTAKE!! the mechanic didn't install the clutch correctly and it blew apart before it even left the shop. More $ for labour and new parts (Mechanic said it was faulty parts-parts shop said faulty mechanic) total bill in the end was$1100. It barely made it home - The master cylinder failed. Replaced it and clutch hose ($300 more)

3. BROKEN REAR SPRINGS. Rear springs broke at the frame mount.

Replaced for $100 parts and a whole lot of my labour (and cursing)

4. REAR DIFF SPYDER GEARS BROKEN. tried to replace myself and managed to get components in. Replaced all diff bearing and diff housing at the same time due to major wear. cost about $300 parts. I could not set up the diff properly so sent it out another $400 labour.

5. REAR DRIVESHAFT U-JOINT FAILURE. It failed going into my underground garage. Drive shaft broke and took out the muffler and transfer case tailshaft. Replaced all u-joint and damaged parts myself. $300 parts.

6. BRAKES REPLACED. Not too hard. Front rotors replaced along with pads. Rear drums machined and shoes replaced. $200 parts lots of cursing.

7.SOFT TOP WINDOWS REPALCED. Couldn't see through them properly even when having them professionaly polished. $300 parts.

8. WINDSCREEN LEAK. Cowl seal leaked in the rain. $100 parts and lot's of cursing due to the fact that things didn't line up afterward. (Note to all: the leak destroyed the radio so had to upgrade to a nice cd player)

9. VARIOUS BUMPING NOISES. Had to replace all mounts (engine and transmission) $200. Lots of serious cursing as it took weeks to figure out from where all of the noises came (tail door, Hood hinges, muffler mounts, etc)

10. WHEEL BEARING FAILURE. $50 parts and lots of swearing.

11. VARIOUS CARB TUNING ISSUES. lots of swearing.

12. BROKEN PASSENGER SEAT. weld broken inside, replacement seats hard to find in good shape.

13.ETC, ETC, ETC. Lots of swearing!

General Comments:

For all of the problems I have had with my jeep I do love it.

I owned all sorts of cars from bmw, mg, chysler, to acura. And I must say the jeep is my favorite. When you get behind the wheel with the top down, four wheeling up a mountain you'll know why.

I've had to learn the hard way about jeep. The guys at the parts store have told me with a smile "it's not the jeep you buy...It's the jeep you build!" my $4500 jeep has turned into an $11000 jeep.

Even if it looks brand new, it's not! Every bolt will be seized, and every part will be bent! As long as you don't mind spending some serious amount of time working on your jeep, you will eventually become good friends. The ride is hard, loud and punishing. The comfort is next to nil. Parts are comparatively expensive. Mine has a computer controlled carb that has a mind of it's own. Fuel economy is the pits and reliabilty is even worse. If you still want an jeep (and I hear they are all the same),get a good service manual, and get ready for for a love-hate relationship that will last for years.

I highly recommend jeep. (It's the second most used four letter word)

Review Date: 1st March, 2003

14th Mar 2005, 23:21

V6??? NOPE! Only V6 used in modern day jeeps came in the Cherokees (XJ) in the form of a 2.8L TBI. WARNING! Stay away from that engine if you can. Take is from a Jeep Fanatic, newbies (And even the experienced pros) should go for Jeep's 4.0L, the best and most reliable engine ever. I know people who have wheeled abused engines that finally died after 350-400 Thousand miles (Sorry don't know what that is KM)

Ciao.