2001 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 from North America

Distance when acquired62000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Tracker

Summary:

Absolute pile of cr*p!

Entire rear end rebuild.

Bad brakes all around (rears are grabby when cold, front won't grip when stopping in reverse).

Rear gate bolts are stripped and gate won't close.

Seatbelts won't work if they get dusty inside.

Doors won't close if the seatbelt is in the way, (they are always in the way).

Windshield leaks.

Radio knob has fallen out.

Everything squeaks rattles and knocks.

Heater core exploded.

Heater controls don't work (stuck on hot).

Seats don't adjust (cables are broken).

Power steering pump is weak (squalls when turning).

Left turn signal won't click off after turning.

Doors can't be unlocked from the inside without two hands.

Door handles are very hard to open.

Transfer case slips out of gear at the worst times.

Auto trans won't shift out of second after a long drive, etc etc etc.

There isn't much about this Jeep that does work as it should. If I can save one person from buying a Jeep, this will be worth the time it took to review.

General Comments:

Engine has plenty of power.

4wd works well when it works.

Love the removable top.

HORRIBLE fuel economy.

CONSTANT maintenance.

EXPENSIVE parts.

COMPLETELY UNDEPENDABLE!!!

Review Date: 26th February, 2010

28th Feb 2010, 16:58

These vehicles are better suited as weekend "toys" rather then everyday drivers. I believe if you'd owned an older Wrangler (1995 or older), you wouldn't have had nearly as many problems because the older ones were simpler.. the newer Jeeps are over-engineered and too complex now in my opinion. They should have just KEPT it low-tech, and they would still have sold just as many of them.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara from North America

Distance when acquired52000 miles
Previous carJeep Wrangler

Summary:

Looks good, but can't drive it!

I have owned this 2001 Jeep Wrangler for 1 year, and we have loved it until the clock spring broke.

The horn, air bags and cruise control does not work. The horn is a necessary item as the state of Texas requires a safety sticker yearly and will not pass inspection without a working horn, so we can no longer drive the car. I have been told the clock spring controls all these things, and the Jeep has been in the shop of 3 months because there are no clock springs to be found. Mo par (or who ever manufacturers them) is not making any at the moment. I can't sell the car without a horn or the inability to pass inspection. There are 116 of these on back order as of this morning. We are very unhappy with Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, Mo par, and no I will not buy another product from this company. This company does not take care of its customers. Any suggestions?

Review Date: 11th May, 2009

2nd Nov 2010, 19:17

Check after market, or even a junk yard for parts.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2001

Was driving the other day on interstate about 70mph... took an exit and made loop, I came to a yield and stopped for oncoming traffic... as I started to take off, it sounded like something in rear end, like gears... the sound the wheel makes as it spins on Wheel of Fortune... would best describe it... I stopped and did it again, and it made the same sound... I had to go so I just drove into the next parking lot... stopped and drove away again and again, and could not hear it anymore... it hasn't done it since... What could this be?

I checked the oil in rear end... oil actually comes out when I pulled plug, so I put it back in... oil looked really dark but was not gritty or anything... Didn't hesitate, just made a noise... any idea's?

Review Date: 7th February, 2009

9th Dec 2011, 18:56

If the oil is real dark, obviously you need to replace it. When I got my 2001 Wrangler, I replaced all the fluids. My Jeep has had no problems except a leak in the left rear axle seal. I see so many people complaining about these cars, but I had a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. Now that was a piece. It was a toilet on wheels with leather seats. EVERYTHING breaks on them.