1998 Kia Sportage 4x4 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Big mistake, not the deal I thought it was

Vacuum line blew on the 4 wheel drive twice. And still don't know why the engine jumps to 2500 rpms at an idle.

All the brake lines have been replaced, and the power steering lines have also.

Something is wrong with the A/C.

General Comments:

Terrible ride; it rides like a 1 ton truck on a 5 foot wheelbase.

Everything rattles, inside and outside the car.

Has very little power compared to other 4 cylinders.

Four wheel drive failed while off road, and got stuck.

The engine revs to high speeds at idle, and then you have no power when you take off.

No mechanic can figure out what's wrong with it.

Review Date: 14th June, 2011

1998 Kia Sportage Base 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Kia should've made sure all the kinks were worked out before letting consumers drive this vehicle

Blown head gasket.

Replaced rotors and calipers.

Major problem occurred when driveshaft bearing literally falling off the vehicle while driving on the highway, leading to a near collision. Upon inspection, noticed the u-joint was broken in three places and was only held in place by lots of heavy grease (cheap fix by someone who found the problem before I did).

Heat decided to call it quits one cold morning... had to replace heater core.

This all occurred within 6k miles.

Vehicle has now has developed a problem with stalling out when gas gauge goes below a quarter of a tank. This is dangerous, as the car will stall out at inopportune times... I have had to one time quickly maneuver the car off the road to avoid collision due to this. Waiting on new fuel pump to be overnighted as we speak to remedy this... Hopefully.

The engine is wholly undersized for a vehicle of this weight, and the transmission has to work hard to get it up to speed. This also explains the so so gas mileage... I usually average 18 miles a gallon on the road.

General Comments:

If you know nothing about fixing cars... I would recommend avoiding this vehicle like the plague. The costs in keeping the vehicle going are ridiculous. New driveshaft bearing cost me 180 bucks brand new... was able to cut costs by taking heater core from a wrecked Sportage. Fuel pump is costing me 320 bucks. If you were to leave the labor to a mechanic or dealer.. be prepared to be taken to the cleaners as these parts are difficult to replace, due to way they are situated in the vehicle.

Nice looking car and good seats.

Review Date: 24th November, 2010

1998 Kia Sportage EX 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine from North America

Summary:

Excellent value. No regrets

Replaced all tires after 5 years.

Replaced brakes and bearings at 60000 miles.

Had the belt pulley tightened at 40000 miles.

General Comments:

I researched this vehicle and compared it to more expensive competitors before buying. The KIA had more interior space and a stronger engine to make up for lack of name recognition. We are amazed at the negative reports. This car has been reliable for us and we get offers to sell it all the time.

This car was paid off in 2003 and we enjoy the idea that we are driving for "free".

Mileage is great and I am very comfortable in it front and back seats. I am 6 feet 3 inches tall and all legs.

Storage capacity is great. Durability is better than expected.

My advice is to have realistic expectations of your cars and don't push beyond that too often. With normal maintenance you will be rewarded with many years of service.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2009

1998 Kia Sportage EX 4 Cy from North America

Summary:

Loved it! loved it! loved it!!! fun!!! :)

The things gone wrong with the car are most likely my fault and really lack of maintenance, but in the whole time of my ownership I never really had a problem! -

All of the recall things went which the dealer fixed promptly, but I really had no additional problems.

The only thing that I don't like is that the muffler seems to melt away. Currently, I have the third muffler on the car!

No pick up so if you like to take off from red lights this is not a car for you.

General Comments:

Great gas mileage - between 25-28 miles. per gallon.

Very cute girly car... the only way I can describe it... is that this car fit my personality it was just great!!!

I would like to say that I drove the car from NJ to Cali three times and that each trip was a smooth and worry free!!!

I wish I would have taken better care of it and did the mainteance as scheduled then I wouldn't have to find a new one!

I loved this car and wish it could last forever, but as my friends are telling me I am ending an era... everyone that has known me in my adult life has taken a ride in my Kia and loved it!!! :)

Review Date: 28th January, 2008