16th Jul 2007, 07:47
Hi! Interesting page =) I have a 2001 Kia Sportage, though I haven't had all of the problems that you guys have had, I have certainly had some of the major ones! The problem I have right now is with the Alternator / Charging system. Battery wouldn't recharge, so naturally assume the alternator is bad. After shelling out for new alternator and battery, the car still won't charge the battery. I read the comments about re-grounding all the wires, which I will try next (the ones I did find look like a monkey did them). Was wandering if anyone else had the same issues as this with charging system refusing to charge and was able to fix it. Problem seems to be affecting the transmission too as every so often it freaks out. Thanks. AndyK firstname.lastname@example.org.
7th Aug 2007, 11:35
2001 KIA Sportage 2 Door 4wd Convertible with 82K current Miles, Purchased used at 32K Miles in 2004. Here's my vehicle failure/resolution fact history:
1. Timing Belt jumped two teeth at 48K Miles causing engine to die requiring tow to shop. Problem caused by dislodged piece of plastic inside timing belt guard assembly causing belt to jump.
2. Car died en route to work - Battery discharged due to Alternator failure at 60K miles - Fix was to Replace alternator.
3. Annual vacuum line replacement for failed 4 Wheel drive. Resolved by installing WARN manual Hubs and discarding KIA original equipment auto-locking hubs.
4. Door Lock solenoids phantom lock/unlock while driving. Caused by faulty wiring in door.
5. Rear Hatch ajar light suddenly appeared illuminated on dash at 71K miles. Have had to manually lock rear hatch with key ever since.
6. Gas tank leaked fuel at 80K miles when filling beyond 3/4 full. Replaced entire rusted fuel tank assembly $150 + 3 Hr. Labor
7. Driver door switch intermittent causing overhead lamp to not illuminate. Replaced faulty door switch.
8. Check Engine light illuminated at 70K miles (Misfire on #2 Cylinder). Fix was to replace coils and install new plugs. Other symptoms here included rough idle (studder) at stop lights.
9. Check Engine light illuminated at 75K miles. Fault code indicated low coolant temperature. Replaced thermostat. Light remains on to this day. May be bad temp sensor or MAS.
10. Whenever car is started/stopped and run very briefly when it is cold (less than 5 minutes) - The following day it will always throw a cylinder#3 misfire code when starting. Fix is to reset code and all is OK until next brief start/stop - usually months later when I have to move car in driveway and shut it off directly.
11. Rear Door Hinge center pins frozen due to rust causing rear door to be very hard to open. Fix was to remove and reinstall (re weld/paint) new hinges.
12. Actuator for Gas Filler Flap/Door frozen and Flap would not stay closed. Fix was to replace entire latch release cable assembly.
13. Power Steering high pressure line rusted through causing loss of power steering fluid. Fix was to replace High Pressure section of line beneath the radiator.
14. At 85K miles, steering wheel has dead spots and is very hard to turn from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock and 12 oclock to 10 oclock positions. Sometimes will operate OK, but most times it is very stiff as if there is no power steering. Suspect Steering rack, but have not reworked this yet.
15. Brake pad and rotor replacement every 12 months. Rotors always warp causing pulsating pedal when braking.
19th Sep 2007, 18:53
I am having the issue with the misfire on 1 & 4 with no power, it comes and goes at random. Today I drove 40 miles with it and had to stop to let the header and catalytic cool off every mile or so (It was getting Orange hot). I will be replacing the coil packs and plugs and wires tomorrow!
The symptom I can't find is; when the problem starts, the Tachometer drops to zero and when the problem stops for a bit the Tachometer is working again.
Has anyone had this issue?
Did the coil replacement solve this?
20th Nov 2007, 14:06
Hi Fellow Kia Sportage Mourners! I bought my 1999 Sportage in October of 2003. The car had low miles, and had never been in an accident. I thought it was just what I needed (Like a bullet to the brain!).
Since then, it continues to have low mileage (seeing as how the only place it goes is in for repairs). I seriously have over $2500 dollars of repairs into my "little darling" as I like to sarcastically call her. I wish I knew then what I know now. As of today, she sits parked. I will not drive it, because it is not safe. I also will not sell it, out of guilt. I feel that if I did, I'd be just like the con artist car salesman that sold it to me in the first place. Buyers BEWARE!
20th Dec 2007, 09:17
If only I had known; My only income is from ss and got a small ssd settlement and foolishly spent in on an '02 Kia Sportage. Ran OK from Rolla MO where I bought it to Winona MN where it failed to fire when the key was turned over; mechanic says replaced "wires" got the official repair bill in glove box.
Next step KIA dealership in Duluth where clutch was replaced, fuel sending sensor, new tires, and guess what: Same thing. Starts great for about a day or so, then gradually fails to fire all the while the key is grinding away. Maybe the reason the KIA replaced the starter also as it seemed OK when I bought it.
I wanted a Honda, but thought I couldn't afford one; guess I sure could of as the total bill is now over $8000, with no end in sight. Except when my one-time source of money is gone.
22nd Jan 2008, 18:43
I own a 1999 Kia Sportage and without a doubt it is the worst car I have ever owned. The check engine light has almost never been off and of course the dealership has no clue what is wrong. But they don't hesitate to make guesses, replace parts, and charge a lot of money for their "repairs". The most frustrating issue of all is the unpredictable starting problems. Some times it cranks and just won't start. Eventually it does, but I can be stuck for quite some time. No mechanic has figured it out.
25th Jan 2008, 22:38
Thank God, I thought I was the only one... I own the 99 Kia Sportage EX. My Check engine light makes it's guess appearances from time to time and the RPMs are always erratic when I'm in idle. At least mine starts correctly, but sputters especially in cold weather. I've been to the mechanic countless times within the last 2 years for everything from transmission work to a new gas tank door. My girlfriend has officially dubbed it the "Sportage Death Trap EX"!
8th Feb 2008, 02:02
Hello all my fellow disgruntled Kia owners.
After scanning through many of these posts, I relate to many of the negative- experiences listed - -from the faulty check engine light, rapid idling, ominous smell of mold - - -to the issues with the paint, etc.. I GUESS We've figured out the hard way- not to invest more of our hard earned dollars to purchase another Kia.
I sought this site out, due to having my 99 Sportage EX - -4 WD, shut down, while driving, in the middle of the highway three mornings ago, and subsequently not starting... The car sounded like the motor was trying to turn over, but would not start... Finally was towed to my driveway (thinking it's the timing belt) - -and I'm, now, wondering - - if I want to continue putting dollars into this car, at this point... Feels like a sieve to me, especially after reading all the other complaints.. Can it get better?
Fortunately for me, I have a stand by vehicle to drive.
If anyone wants to respond with any helpful hints, or advice, please send response to Calliope315@yaoo.com - -thanks!