2003 Land Rover Freelander S 2.5 liter from North America

Summary:

Garbage

Three window regulators.

Variable intake manifold at 48,000.

Thermostat.

Ignition switch.

Passenger rear door actuator.

Coolant tank cracked.

Radio acts up intermittently.

Catalytic convertor and exhaust needs replacement.

OEM brakes lasted only 15,000 miles.

Fuel pump at 58,000.

Oxygen sensors at 59,000.

Brake lights and rear fog lights are reversed.

Starter at 50,000.

General Comments:

The only good thing about this vehicle is that it rides good.

Maintenance is horrible.

If the timing belt breaks while the car is running, you might as well throw the car away, because all the valves will bend.

Review Date: 30th May, 2009

30th May 2009, 15:53

Instead of Freelander, call it the Freeloader.

1st May 2011, 21:55

You know that your "invincible" Hondas are the same way regarding timing belts. But who's calling Hondas poor?

3rd May 2013, 23:16

The difference here is that the Freelander has THREE timing belts (one big one that drives the water pump, and two little ones on the other end) and a very short service interval on these items (60,000 miles, according to Land Rover). Hondas usually have a longer interval (90k on most, I believe?) and they will typically go well past their interval; a rather forgiving trait for owners who are oblivious about such things.

2003 Land Rover Freelander from North America

Summary:

High maintenance!

With only 45,000 miles to my car, I have already put a great deal of money into the vehicle. Not to mention three recalls!!! It's a money pit! Don't purchase a Land Rover unless you have a small fortune!

General Comments:

Not the greatest!

Review Date: 7th March, 2009

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE gas from North America

Summary:

If over-priced, underpowered, and continual upkeep are for you then this right up you alley. lol

"tune-up" every 12,000 miles per warranty you must take it to the dealer and it is app. $500.00 to go through the checklist.

Took in 3 different times to fix cracked/ broken fixture on motor which kept making the check engine light stay on, never did solve the problem after a while we just kind of gave up.

Both front Brake pads and rotors replaced at 34,000 miles.

Engine blew-up at 72,000 miles.

General Comments:

Talk about a money pit, just buy a land rover. We actually liked the vehicle when we bought it and did a good amount of research before purchase. There was constantly something wrong with this vehicle, albeit sometimes small things, but ALWAYS something. The check engine light never stayed off for more than a month at a time. I was told at 34,000 miles that both my front brakes and rotors needed replaced, (and this is with practically all highway miles) I asked about just getting the rotors turned and was told that they don't turn rotors they just replace them to prevent warping problems. When I received the bill for $600.00 + just to replace pads and rotors I started to understand a little better. Every 12,000 milks you are required to get a "check-up" I guess is a way to say it. This runs over 500.00 dollars every time it is done. Hell, I bought one of those neat spare tire covers to put on the back, The service rep took it and said he would get some one to put it on for me, I thought of it as a courtesy until I got my service bill that day and they charged me $11.00 to put the dang thing on. How's that for gouging the customer.

And for the grand finally after keeping all the service up to date through the dealer, at 72,000 mile the engine blew-up. To say this car was a bad experience is the under-statement of the year. Unless you have money to burn don't buy a Land Rover.

Review Date: 18th November, 2007

16th Dec 2007, 16:49

Sounds as if you are more upset with the dealer / service department, than with the manufacturer.

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE from North America

Summary:

Don't waste your time and money

Sunroof has been replaced 10 times.

Window motors have been replaced 4-5 times.

Intake manifold replaced.

Most recently car died in middle of freeway and fuel pump had to be replaced.

I have spoken to several owners of 2003 Freelanders and they all report similar problems with their vehicles.

I will never buy another Land Rover and I urge you to be aware if you are considering buying this vehicle.

General Comments:

This car is cute and handles well when running, but generally is a piece of crap.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2007