1996 Land Rover Range Rover Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 2.5 turbo diesel Automatic
Previous carLand Rover Discovery

Summary:

Extremely happy

The oil cooler leaked and had to be replaced.

The windscreen seals failed and caused a buffeting noise.

Air conditioner has played up, and has needed to be repaired twice.

Door bolts get loose when driving off road for a long period of time.

General Comments:

The car performs well enough, especially considering its s diesel. I will fit an aftermarket ECU to improve its performance by 25 percent though.

The engine is incredibly smooth, although not quick off the mark.

Off road ability is outstanding. I have owned several land rovers before, but this is the best off road by far. I also thoroughly recommend an automatic gearbox rather than manual, its way better both on and off road.

Diesel is a way better bet than petrol, especially over long distances as the range is way better and fuel economy bearable. 23 mpg around town.

Review Date: 18th April, 2003

7th Apr 2009, 06:50

Where are you getting an after market ECU? I have a p38 Range Rover fitted with a 2.5 diesel BMW engine and I need an ECU for it.

Thank you.

1996 Land Rover Range Rover SE 4.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carJaguar Vanden Plas

Summary:

The world's finest SUV, when it's running

Cruise control has never worked.

The truck has always leaked oil, transmission fluid, and coolant.

When I first got the Range Rover it blew fuses and had to be towed to the dealer three times, within the first six months.

The air conditioner has never worked on a regular basis. The dealer has tried to fix this 3 seperate times.

The sunroof leaked water and had to be repaired.

General Comments:

I bought this truck as a "demo", but recently found out it was a dealer buy-back. I still like Range Rovers, but feel the people at my dealer are a bunch of crooks.

When driving this vehicle you feel like the king of the road. It is the perfect size SUV.

This is not a performance minded vehicle.

It can go anywhere you want to go, just make sure a tow truck can get there too.

Review Date: 27th July, 2001

18th Nov 2003, 10:07

Excellent reading; would be great if we could get to know this specific dealer :) Gary in Toronto, ON.

18th Nov 2003, 17:20

Why? Is it Lawrence Park Motors? HEEHEE.

25th May 2005, 23:43

I had some friends that bought one of these things as their primary mode of tranportation.

That experiement lasted about 9 months.

3rd Oct 2007, 08:57

One of my friends has had a '97 Range Rover that they bought from the original owners for over five years now. They have reported no major problems, just some occasional tidbits that they were able to fix themselves at little cost. I finally got to drive it yesterday. It's a fun car to drive, but the 4.0 SE model is frighteningly slow, making maneuvers in traffic somewhat tedious.

The best thing that my friends did with theirs was to get rid of the air suspension setup with the conventional spring conversion kit. I was surprised how well the car still drives with the conventional suspension, it rolls very little and it still rides beautifully, not to mention there is so much piece of mind knowing that the suspension is not going to blow at any second.

I've decided that I want one of these, but I will be waiting until next year when I have the money and I will look for a 2002 with the 4.6 engine. If I get one of the newer models, it would have to be at least a 2005 to avoid the first model year issues.