1996 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4.6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Junk

Transmission, lights, air con, heaters, roof lining, bumpers fading, etc, etc.

General Comments:

This car looks good, but the power plant is not; very weak, costs are very high to fix.

I would not recommend this make to anyone, buy a Toyota VX.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2010

30th Dec 2011, 17:52

I have had 5 in my life, and all out performed any other 4x4 on the market. That is straight from the dealer with no mods.

1996 Land Rover Range Rover SE 4.0 V8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very capable off or on road, and enjoyable to drive

Air suspension failed, faulty valve.

Radiator leaked from top; replaced.

General Comments:

Car is expensive to run.

When driving it, people comment that you've got money.

It's fast and enjoyable to drive long distances. I've just come back from 3 week trip to Tasmania; averaged 16.5 l/per km.

It's a car not a truck. I owned a V8 110 before this.

Review Date: 8th May, 2005

14th Jan 2006, 01:37

I just bought a 1996 range rover and I am completely in love with it. It rides like a dream on road and performs very well off road. It's maintenance record is flawless, and I don't see any reason to believe what anyone else says about the car.

21st Feb 2007, 09:06

The intro to this comments poster asks the poster to agree that 'Poor spelling or grammar will result in your comment being deleted'. Poor is clearly a sliding scale.

16.5 l/per km? That would mean you get just over 6Km from 1 tank of gas... have you considered that you may have a leak in the fuel line. That is poor economy, even for a Range Rover.

24th Mar 2007, 21:24

I think he means 16.5 litres per 100km.

17th Mar 2011, 15:15

A word of advice; while it's running, save some money, because this car will truly bite you where it hurts. I would never trust this car ever again, or ever buy another one.

1996 Land Rover Range Rover DSE 2.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A love hate relationship

In the last 3000 miles the following has gone wrong:

Air compressor failed £260.

Air conditioning ceased to function.

Anti vibration damper failed £150.

Woodruff key in crank disintegrated causing the valves to have a party with the pistons, cost approx £600 to repair.

Camshaft snapped in two on startup £100 to replace.

Hydraulic lifters failed £120 to replace.

Universal joint on front prop-shaft exploded £30 to repair.

General Comments:

The way I see it not much else can go wrong with this car. It's not as if its been abused, having had regular oil and filter changes, but it's not the only one to have problems as the miles creep up.

When its running it is a fantastic car that is very comfortable and reasonably quick for its size.

Fuel consumption is quite good, 18mpg worst and 36mpg best.

Overall a good car, but a it can get expensive as things break if you're not a competant home mechanic

Review Date: 15th August, 2004

1996 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great fun, but far too unreliable and expensive

Not sure where to start, but in brief:

Engine, cam shaft, water pump, rear wheel hub, Air conditioning, heater fan, electric window, electric door mirrors, steering components, remote locking, washer jet motors and heated seats all failed and have had to be replaced at some point, not to mention numerous other niggly little problems and bad rust patches that you really wouldn't expect on a car costing the best part of £50,000.

Glad I didn't buy it new.

General Comments:

Despite having a 4.6 litre V8, the car feels slightly under-powered. It's pretty quick off the mark for such a big car, but feels sluggish at mid range speeds and when overtaking.

I had mine converted to LPG which made it quite an affordable car to run, although the servicing and maintenance make running a jumbo jet look more attractive - in my case £7000 in 18 months.

Corners about as well as a bowl of soup - but then I don't suppose it was designed to go round corners fast.

It's great for towing and inspires loads of confidence when it's snowing or icy.

Loads of space and very comfortable. The best bit is being perched about a foot higher than the average car - it gives you a great view. The only problem is that you tend to develop a bully boy driving attitude because practically no-one argues with you when it comes to cutting in, pulling out etc.

It's such a shame that the car is so unreliable, poorly manufactured and expensive to maintain. Hopefully the new BMW design will do the Range Rover badge more justice. When the price of the new model comes down to a sensible level I might consider it.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2003

19th Dec 2004, 08:48

I have a 4.6 LPG HSE. It mis-fires, stops and doesn't start on occasion. The local dealer is £96 an hour and at a non approved local specialist a 48K mile service is about £850. Despite a full specialist service history new things go wrong each week. Random fault codes appear and disappear. That said I love it and if the LPG didn't run like a pig it would be cheap to fuel. It is unreliable, but a joy when its working which isn't often.

Not all the problems are LPG related and it is a 2K certified LPG conversion. My advice is if you buy a £60k car for 10-12k you still get £60k car running costs with no warranty.

17th Apr 2008, 05:47

I know exactly what you mean regarding the 'kick-down'; its beyond pathetic!! When trying to overtake, and kick-down is engaged, it almost drops 10kms. However I must say how much I love the vehicle; it's a HSE Vogue, which is definitely worth every penny, rides sweet, mechanically - only ever had 1 problem and you really do feel like the king of the road.

One downside is defiantly the gas - drinks it like a dehydrated camel, -all in all, a very nice SUV.

9th Jul 2008, 18:49

I just bought one from a used dealer, and I admit you do feel like the king of the road, and it is a looker! But the instrument panel is a bother when you don't have the manual! And don't get caught up in fooling with the air ride system if you don't have to! It's a mother to replace; around 2 grand.

It's a 1996 4.6 and I do love it, and I only get used tires cuz I don't drive crazy! But I LOVE IT YAHOOOOOOOO!!!

Make sure you do get a warranty cuz it comes in handy!

1st Sep 2008, 06:31

I can never understand people buying one of these vehicles cheap second hand and wondering why they cost so much to use. These cars were £50,000 new, and when you buy one for £2000 when it's 12 years old you can't help but expect problems. These vehicles are very complex and have thousands of parts which can go wrong, so if you buy one then that's the risk you take. If they were so reliable for the money, they would hold their value more and would cost much more to buy, as everybody would want one.