2001 Lexus LS 430 Sport from North America

Summary:

Love it

The Mark Levinson Stereo Subwoofer failed at about 30,000 (but Lexus didn't cover under warranty).

The Mark Levinson Stereo driver & passenger door speakers (6" mid-woofers) just blew - Lexus also not covering it, but Customer Service Support group got Lexus of Clearwater to 'donate' one speaker if I let them install.

The driver's mirror was replaced under warranty.

The battery failed twice in 3 years, but I replaced with Optima and haven't had a problem since.

Front brakes were needed at 25,000 miles which seemed excessive, and the master cylindar was replaced as well under warranty.

The trunk struts (hold the trunk open) have both failed and I don't want to pay $500 to dealer for this item that is a known defect.

General Comments:

Other than that, love the ride, power & luxury, but Lexus could do a better job of honoring problems that they are aware of...

Review Date: 17th October, 2007

2001 Lexus LS 430 from North America

Summary:

I love my LS430 better then any car I have ever owned

I love my LS430. It is so quiet, yet powerful. It is the perfect luxury car.

I have a friend that drives a benz, who after driving my LS430, says he will buy a Lexus next time.

Everything still works perfectly. My friends always want me to drive due to the cars luxurious feel and great Mark Levinson sound system.

The car has so many options and gadgets that I jokingly tell people my car is smarter then me.

This is a quality car and after six years I still get comments from people about what a beautiful car I have.

General Comments:

The car is very fast and handles like a dream.

Beautiful interior.

Review Date: 12th April, 2007

2001 Lexus LS 430 from North America

Summary:

Rides wonderfully, cannot afford failures

The Lexus LS 430 was purchased from the dealer in 2003, as a pre-owned with 28,000 miles. It now has 120,000 mostly highway miles.

Experienced failures:

1) Driver side door actuator, door would not open from the inside

2) O2 sensor

3) CD player (just outside of 4 year warranty)

4) Front cup holder operation

5) Windows slow to close, need lubrication

6) Door trunk cylinders failed, trunk falls closed on individuals using trunk.

7) Speed throttle slippage, took 3 weeks for Lexus dealar to resolve

9) TRANSMISSION FAILURE---major $$$ issue, all maintenance at Lexus dealer, is an OPEN issue for cost expenditure responsibility at this time (March 2007)

9) Headlight lens is dulled/worn, if cannot be buffed out, headlights must be replaced at a very high cost as lens are not separate from headlight assembly

10) Windshield cracked, replaced with a local windshield supplier by dealer, was not advised of differences to factory windshield and now suffer from lack of tint and added glare

11) Driver side door pocket broken

12) Center console will not open, hinge needs replacement

13) Rubber bumper material dulled and worn.

This is NOT the total cumulative list, only partial. Do I feel like this car is a lemon? Yes, although a gave Lexus the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but this car is only 6 years old, and at 120,000 mostly highway miles, I have to throw in the towel.

Review Date: 28th March, 2007

31st Mar 2007, 00:44

I see your past car was a Mercedes E-class... how was that in comparison to the LS430? Both my wifes 2004 E500 and my 2001 LS430 with 180,000 highway miles have been great. Mercedes gets such a bad rep, but I think people take it to far. As for your Lexus I think you got a lemon although from 99-07 Lexus has had transmission problems in all models. I bought my daughter a used 2001 Lexus IS300 in November for her 16th birthday and the transmission has a little slippage. She is now looking at the CLK350 convertible which is out of the question until she drives safe for a year. Lexus should step up to the plate and pay for all transmissions like Acura did. I have heard hundreds of complaints about the transmission especially in the 99-00 RX300 and 02-06 ES300/330.