2001 Lexus LS 430 Ultra Luxury 4.3L V8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable, Elegant, and extremely Comfortable

Side mirrors would not fold in automatically. (Fixed with lubricant)

Excessive tire wear, possibly due to tire pressure or worn suspension.

Adjustable ride-height/suspension is not leveling correctly.

Trunk shocks are not strong enough to help open lid.

On hot days, auto rain-sensing wipers think its raining when it is not.

Paint peeling off parking sensors.

Sub-woofer on back dashboard rattles entire deck and sounds awful.

General Comments:

Car is simply luxurious! This car is so quiet that you'll completely isolate yourself from the rest of the world.

The navigation system is easy to use with touch screen and voice controls.

All the controls on the steering wheel, instrument panel, and rear console are laid out great and require little exposure before being comfortable with them.

The performance of this smooth shifting V8 is evident around town and on the freeways. Effortless acceleration.

This car has been very reliable and enjoyable to drive. It has an understated elegance that is perfect for most people.

The residual value of this car exceeds the competition too.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2007

22nd Jan 2007, 16:12

Doesn't sound very reliable to me. But yes, they are very luxurious.

22nd Jan 2007, 17:14

Sounds like a good car.

7th Sep 2007, 17:37

I have a 2002 LS430 with nearly with most of the same faults (no problem with mirrors or leveling system yet). None of the problems are significant and I agree that the car is an awesome machine that is in a class by itself. I have parked next to later model LS430s and cannot tell the difference except for the exhaust systems on the most recent LS430s. My interior is nicer than any that I have seen and I plan on driving this car for many years. I bought it with 73000 miles and plan on adding at least 150,000 to that. This is my second Lexus and I will always own one.

2001 Lexus LS 430 4.3 from North America

Summary:

I guess all cars have faults.

The engine started knocking at 40,000-miles.

We took it in and Lexus Replaced the engine for free under warranty. They gave us a brand new loaner.

The car has had oil changes on time and still failed. They said a part came loose in the engine and caused excessive wear and heat buildup.

The telescoping steering wheel became loose and had to be tightened.

The automatic climate control goes crazy sometimes and we have to turn the car off and restart it to make it calm down. Dealer can't find the problem.

Paint is dulling out way too fast.

Traction control must not work right as the car can't seem to take off well when the pavement is wet.

Many bulbs have burned out.

General Comments:

This is a very costly car that doesn't seem to be living up to what they promised.

Our Accord cost about one third of what this Lexus cost and held up much better.

Most everyone on our block drives a Lexus and seems to have some of the same problems. Not the engine though. The dealer told us that our engine failure is very odd.

I don't think we will be buying another one.

We are going to Acura or Lincoln this time.

Review Date: 14th June, 2004

26th Jun 2004, 12:47

I purchased a used 2001 LS430 for my wife in Nov 2003. It is the nicest driving vehicle we have ever driven including the ES430 and various SL models from Mercedes Benz. To date, the only maintenance is changing the oil and cleaning the vehicle. You must have purchased a lemon. Lexus "Keep up the great engineering."

2001 Lexus LS 430 4.3L V8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Watch out Mercedes!!

Key-less entry card system became erratic at 8000 miles, sometimes car wouldn't open, card was replaced and all is perfect now.

General Comments:

I purchased this car from Lexus Coventry in July 2002 after selling my Volkswagen, which I think was a lemon, as it didn't have the so called Volkswagen longevity and reliability.

It is my third and favorite car. It is in a nice Amberly Gold color with Suffolk (beige) leather and when coupled with the 17 inch alloys, it looks sensational; the only luxury car that looks better in my opinion is the BMW 7-Series.

The 4.3 liter V8 has exceptional performance and I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I obliterate the boy racers souped up Corsas and Saxos at the traffic lights. The steering is accurate and gives a good amount of feedback. It even attains good acceleration when the wife and 2 kids are in the back and the boot is fully loaded.

The interior is almost perfection in itself. The seats are the most comfortable I have sat in; the buttery soft and smooth beige leather even topping the seats of my friend's Mercedes S500, which in my opinion are slightly too hard for my liking. In the winter, when I used the heated seats, my backside was warm in a couple of minutes. I recently had to travel 450 miles and I felt relaxed when I stepped out the car. The interior has a nice walnut wood trim which adds to the ambiance of the car. The satellite navigation is easy to use, responding to a very slight change of direction even on the windiest of roads.

The dealers are also very helpful; I recently took it in for a routine service and they were very pleasant and friendly.

Petrol consumption is OK, with an average of 24 miles per gallon, in heavy traffic it can go down to 17mpg.

All in all, Lexus could become a very real threat to Mercedes and BMW in the luxury car market and I definitely would buy a Lexus again!

Review Date: 5th August, 2003

11th Aug 2003, 16:14

I believe you have written a good review on the Ls430. I have a 0252 LS430 with 5000 miles on the clock and it has given me nothing but pleasure. But I disagree with your comment on the S500's seats being hard, I believe they were as comfortable as the Lexus' seats.

8th Nov 2003, 06:57

Not only is this car one of the best looking on the market today, compared with its German rivals, it is also considerably safer than any Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series. Added features such as etched windows and VIN codes make this almost the hardest car on the market to break into and drive away these days. And of course, the engine is so quiet that you can't hear it from inside the car, even when it's running. Lexus have certainly produced a fine machine in this vehicle. Enjoy years of trouble-free motoring!

21st Nov 2003, 11:26

I totally agree with these reviews, I mean Mercedes and BMW should seriously do something about their cars ESPECIALLY BMW because lexus looks better, more powerful, more car for the buck, more comfortable etc...

AND RELIABLE!!!

BTW, New Mercedes seats are hard and lead too bad quality however a lot of room is what makes it comfortable. When it comes to Mercedes OLD IS GOLD!!!

I am thinking of a 98-00 LS400 please send me your comments: