2001 Lexus LS 430 from North America

Summary:

Beautiful luxurious comfort

The only issues I've had so far is that some of the power seat buttons didn't work and the rain sensor fell off the windshield. Other than that, nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

As soon as I purchased the car, I changed the timing belt. The belt that was on it was from its 90,000 maintenance requirement. The belt I took off was in very good condition, but I changed the water pump, belt and the works to be sure the car would be on the road for another 200k+ miles.

Everyone thought I was nuts for buying a car with 255k miles, but once they ride in it, they don't laugh so much. The car is the smoothest riding car I've ever been in, including several Mercedes models.

I am so happy with my LS430 and would purchase another.

Maybe I just bought one that was extremely well taken care of?

Review Date: 8th June, 2018

9th Jun 2018, 21:09

Yes, it is. Lexus and Toyota for starters are engineered conservatively; their parts suppliers are assisted to produce quality parts at a good price while still making a good margin, and these parts are put together well. But even Lexus is not made of granite. It does help that the car is good to start with, but when parts do need replacing, and service is due for things like the gearbox or engine, they must be done on time, properly, and with correct, good-quality (or original) parts. The car cannot have done so well in the hands of less caring previous owners. Not many cars will not have had some wheel bearings replaced by 200K km (about 120K miles), and belt tensioners are best replaced together with the drive belts. I suppose people who tend to buy Lexus are also more likely to stick to the maintenance routine, even as the car ages and bought cheaper second-hand. There are lesser cars from far less reliable brands which surprisingly do last over the 200K mile mark, often from a combination of good parts used in assembly, diligent owner maintenance, and treating the car sympathetically. Even then, many will definitely feel their age - suspension bushings and engine/gearbox mounts can be laborious to replace, which adds to maintenance cost on what is by then a cheap car.

2001 Lexus LS 430 4.3L from North America

Summary:

As quiet and smooth as a Rolls Royce!

Replaced one headlight bulb. Went to the Lexus dealer and was quoted $300 for ONE HID bulb! Bought 2 bulbs on eBay (Phillips HID) for $80!! No other problems.

General Comments:

Elegant, extremely quiet, solid, comfortable. The quality of everything in this car is top-notch. I've now been spoiled by this Lexus and will get another Lexus. The paint quality is superb and looks like new.

What other car could you buy for under $20K that has a cooler, reclining BACK seats with massage and radar-controlled cruise control (and so much more). Let's see – you could buy a brand new Honda FIT or used Lexus for the same price. hmmmm – not a tough choice, unless you want to save fuel – the car is thirsty and drinks premium. I'd recommend Lexus to anyone looking for a quality used vehicle.

Review Date: 6th April, 2011

7th Apr 2011, 01:00

Your Lexus should serve you well for a long long time, since considering its price when new, it would want to. After all, it is a very expensive Toyota, which by the way is one of the most reliable cars anyone could own.

2001 Lexus LS 430 from North America

Summary:

Best you can get!

Cup holder failed at 63K.

Driver door actuator failed at 41K.

General Comments:

I have a 2001 LS430 with 86K miles. The car is as close to perfect as you can get. Other than the two minor items noted above, the car has performed beautifully. I also have a 2000 GS400, which is a great car and more fun to drive than the LS430, however, the LS430 is a better overall vehicle.

I've had all of the favorite driver cars; Mercedes (needing repairs all of the time), BMW (maintenance nightmare), JAG (just plain junk), AUDI (pretty good car), Porsche (nice car, expensive to keep running well), but the LS430 is the best overall vehicle of the bunch.

There are five Lexus owners in my family, and none have EVER had any major problems with their vehicles. The cars just keep going and going. My son drives his 93 LS400 65 miles to work daily, and the vehicle has 178,000 miles on it with no problems at all.

Review Date: 5th May, 2009

24th Apr 2011, 20:52

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430 and the door actuator failed on the both front driver and passenger's side. I also have a 2001 Lexus RX 300 and just replaced the door actuator on the driver's side. My cousin's GS300 had her driver's side replaced. It is the sensors that is bad. There is no such thing as an aftermarket door actuator for Lexus vehicles. You can only use O.E. parts.