2001 Lexus RX Reviews - Page 3 of 4

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carLexus Honda

Summary:

An expensive luxury vehicle that should have held up better than this

My transmission went at 50,000 miles. I had one month left on my drive train warranty, so Lexus, replaced my transmission with a refurbished transmission, that was junk. My car was sluggish, wouldn't shift easily, and was Loud like a dump truck. While being serviced by Lexus they threw off my alignment, damaged my exhaust and returned my car to me like this, with the new faulty transmission.

General Comments:

I have babied this car, garage kept, low mileage, I wanted to keep it for a long time. Before this incident I really liked the car, but now it is ruined and I don't trust it or Lexus to stand behind their faulty parts.

Review Date: 20th March, 2007

2001 Lexus RX 300 3.0 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 Semi-Automatic

Summary:

Good car until trans went out

Transmission just went out at 93,000.

General Comments:

Transmission just went out at 93,000. Like other comments I've read, the dealer quoted me $4,000. They told me they don't usually do transmission work at the dealership, which leads me to believe they're the middle man in this and send the car out to a transmission body shop. Also, the tow truck dragged my car onto the flatbed tow truck since the car wouldn't shift into neutral. Wonder what kind of damage that does to the car. Other transmission places quoted me 1800-2200. Not the $4k Lexus quoted me. They're ripping us off.

Review Date: 14th November, 2006

31st Jul 2007, 08:00

I am In Scotland, I have a 2001 RX300 fantastic car until the trans went at 90k miles, I run the car on LPG with no problems for two years then all went wrong, had to replace all plugs and coil packs, runs OK on petrol, but rough on LPG the computer analyser says random misfires! the dealer is stumped has no clue what to do next apart from replacing the ECU. Has anyone had similar problems any comments appreciated, still the best drive around!!

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carHonda del Sol

General Comments:

Hi,

The tranmission on my car failed also:

Lexus RX300

2001

99,976 miles

This the first major problem I have had with the car. I have owned it for five years and everything has been great so far.

However, I was in New Jersey on a business trip, the car went into "neutral" on the NJ turnpike. Luckily, I was able to coast to a stop on the shoulder. I was also right near the toll plaza. The car was towed to a local dealership. I was quoted $4,100 to replace the transmission including labor.

Hopefully with a new transmission, I should get another 100k miles out of the car.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2006

Previous carLexus BMW

Transmission had to be replaced.

Presently making a loud clicking sound around dash board.

General Comments:

Add another failed Lexus Transmission to your list. Four days after I bought my used 2001 Lexus RX300 the transmission went out at 98K miles. I would never have imagined a quality vehicle like this to have that happen this soon. We paid around 3500.00 to completely rebuilt the transmission and in the words of the mechanic "it was a total mess" the planetary gears and all had to be replaced. I have read countless stories of the same thing happening with Lexus. Such a disappointment for a Lexus. I would never buy another one.

Review Date: 9th August, 2006

23rd Oct 2007, 16:51

Wow, I have had the same problem. In April of this year, I noticed that my car was slipping (gears) and I had it repaired at Mr. Transmission; what a nightmare! They have attempted to repair it again. Yesterday the Check Engine Light, VSC light and the Trac light came on and I notice that the RPM is very high; I am so concerned. I hate to have to buy another car, but I am thinking of getting rid of this one.

Year of manufacture2000