2001 Lexus RX 300 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Good car

Replaced the battery and the VSC, track and check engine lights came on. I Googled and found a common problem with a hose behind the air filter that can cause this. Moved the hoses around and the light went out.

General Comments:

Have found this car good. I did own a 1996 Chrysler T/C LXI van that had many more feature comforts than the Lexus, such as passenger controls for AC/heat, passenger seat tilt, automatic door locks, a much better ride than the Lexus, interior lights cut off automatically, front headlights auto cut off. Got this Lexus off of Ebay for a great deal, but I wish Toyota had put some of these nice features on the Lexus.

I am concerned with the comments I have read about the Lexus transmission. I had all fluids replaced after I purchased vehicle. My dealership is rated the best in the USA by Lexus, so I am lucky to have them.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2007

2001 Lexus RX 300 from North America

I cannot believe all I am reading about the transmissions in the RX300's. I had 103,000 miles (3,000 past the extended warranty, of course!) and my transmission died in the middle of Mississippi.

I was on my way to Georgia from Texas and had it towed to the only dealership in the entire state. $4,600 and two weeks later I had a new transmission.

The service center manager was nice, but I am upset that it went out with so few miles. I keep reading about about 99-2000 model years, but has anyone had issues with 2001?

I have called Lexus and it is a complete nightmare. I am beginning to wonder whether I will ever see any money back from them for labor or anything.

What do you guys think?

Review Date: 26th July, 2007

26th Jul 2007, 16:13

Sorry to say, but I think your money is gone. let us know if they reinburse you though.

22nd Aug 2008, 21:48

We also have a 2001 RX300, it has 100,000 miles. Just in the last few weeks it has started to no respond in reverse. My wife always drives it, she takes it out of reverse and into drive and back, and it will usually move. It is happening more often. Lexus dealers says they have rarely heard about this problem. We do have a private company warranty that covers the cost of repair or replacement and they said we could take to any independent shop or dealer that we choose.

I am very disappointed in this problem because we just love the car. We bought it used, that is why we purchased the warranty thru our credit union. If anyone know how to get Lexus to own up to this, I would like to know.

2001 Lexus RX 300 VSC Not Sure from North America

Summary:

Love it. Never regretted buying it

None.

General Comments:

Lovely Car.

I used to own a Mercedes-Benz ML320. Plenty of things went wrong with that. I decided to get rid of that in 2004, and found a beautiful Blue Vapor 2001 Lexus RX300. I have had no problems with it, other than my need of new brake pads, but that's not so much of a problem as just a wear-and-replace type of thing.

I have needed nothing replaced, everything works perfectly. No transmission problems. I just gave the car to my Son, who just turned 16, and in turn bought a Lexus LX470. I continue on sticking with the Lexus brand. Exceptionally reliable.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2007

2001 Lexus RX 300 V6 from North America

Summary:

Not worth the $$ I paid for it

There is a ticking noise in my dash. I thought it was the cd changer and found out it wasn't.

Passenger door will not work with the keyless entry

Passenger door has a constant rattle.

After replacing the battery and alternator it still doesn't want to hold a charge.

Review Date: 11th June, 2007

29th Sep 2008, 06:29

The RX300 is probably the best mid-size SUV on the market. Comfortable, smooth, quite, well-built, it gets decent mpg, and is pretty darn reliable.

Vehicles are machines, none are perfect, and they do break.

But the RX300 is one heck of a vehicle.