2001 Lexus RX 300 from North America

Summary:

Keeping the truck forever!

I had new front and rear brakes installed at 69,000 miles.

Replaced windshield water pump at 43,000 miles.

Replaced alternator and power steering belt at 49,000 miles.

New battery at 82,000 miles, and another one at 102,000 miles.

Complete transmission flush at 84,000 miles.

Replaced two rear liftgate shocks at 97,000 miles.

Flushed radiator, replaced lower hose and upper hose, thermostat, valve gaskets, dog bone style engine mount, replaced power steering fluid at 104,000 miles.

Replaced new air/fuel sensor at 101,000 miles.

Replaced the front driver's power door lock assembly, and made a new key at 103,000 miles.

Replaced center brake light bulb at 77,000 miles.

Had a slight problem with the front passenger's side power window, but repaired at 101,000 miles.

I purchased the truck brand new, and it keeps going still.

General Comments:

Still very strong engine response.

A very good reliable truck.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2011

2001 Lexus RX 300 from North America

My Lexus was driving fine with no problems, and all of a sudden, it started to jerk when it would go into gear, and would only go 40 miles, then it came to a total stop. I was on a highway, and it was not safe, had to push it out of the road. The check engine light never came on; no indication it was having any problems.

Now I have a cost of 3400.00 to replace my transmission, which I found out from my mechanic that it's an electrical problem that Toyota called a recall on, so I plan on getting Toyota to pay the costs to replace it.

Review Date: 30th December, 2010

2001 Lexus RX 300 3.0 from North America

Summary:

The best mid size SUV in the early 90's

Windshield pump motor - should not had gone at 80k miles. Not cheap; it cost $75 for the part, but I was able to replace it myself.

Brake pads - both front & back pads pretty much frozen with the metal holder, so made the braking not quite efficient.

Rear brake caliper bolts holder sticking - pretty frozen solid (not sliding with the pads). I had to use a hammer to break them loose.

General Comments:

Overall it is a good family SUV, but the car is approaching 100k miles, so the common engine sludge & tranny problem is starting to worry me.

Review Date: 18th November, 2010

2001 Lexus RX 300 from North America

Summary:

Absolutely the best vehicle on the road

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

I previously owned a 1999 Lexus RX300. I initially purchased it because of the safety, reliability and comfort ratings. I was not disappointed in the least until I rolled my vehicle twice on a twisty mountain road on August 19, 2008. Believe it or not, I walked away from the crash albeit my vehicle looked like a smashed cookie. Just a trip to the ER and several weeks of recovering from the seat belt and air bags and I was as good as new. I would never have given up this vehicle were it not for the accident.

Since my 1999 RX300 saved my life, I bought another used one. My new vehicle is a 2001 and I just love it. I feel confident in the safety, reliability and comfort levels. I will never own another vehicle other than a Lexus.

Review Date: 20th October, 2009

2001 Lexus RX 300 FWD from North America

Summary:

Comfortable and reliable luxury SUV!!

The mass air flow Sensor went bad at 92,000 (less than $200 to replace). After subsequent research, I realized that I should have been cleaning the idle air control valve (IACV) and MAF about every 20,000 miles - neither had ever been cleaned until 92,000. Both are relatively easy to clean by yourself at home.

General Comments:

Overall, this SUV has served its purpose well for me over the past two years and nearly 30,000 miles with minimal problems (MAF and IACV). Do not believe the horror stories you read about engine and transmission problems. The majority of RX300s have solid engines and transmissions that will last 150k-200k, provided regular scheduled maintenance is performed on time.

The ride is quiet, smooth (as expected with any Lexus), and it has relatively quick acceleration considering the size of the vehicle (0-60 around eight seconds in my 2WD model).

The seats are comfortable and supportive on long trips - superior in my opinion to the seats in my Infiniti FX35.

Reliability has been excellent in my experience, and I would certainly recommend a used RX300 to anyone.

Review Date: 19th November, 2008

20th Nov 2008, 11:29

I agree that the RX is a wonderful SUV, but I can state from experience that the engine does have a sludge problem.

My wife owns a 1999 RX300 and she has the oil changed every 3000 miles. At just over 100,000 miles the engine failed due to sludge.

Thankfully Lexus stepped up to the plate and repaired her Lexus even providing a loaner vehicle for the time her's was in the shop.

At over 120,000 miles we have not had a problem with the transmission (and certainly hope that we don't).

We still feel the Lexus is a fantastic SUV, and would certainly buy another.