1977 Lincoln Mark V Designer Edition - Pucci 7.5L 460ci from North America

Summary:

The last of an American great luxury car...

When I first purchased the car in 04, after driving the car for a month, I had to have the engine rebuilt. The seller did give me $1000 back... yeah... to help with the cost of the repair.

Besides rebuilding the engine, the only problems I've had with the car are the power steering pump leaks, the Cartier clock stopped working, the low fuel light stays on, and the fuel level hand doesn't work.

I have replaced the battery, starter, alternator, radiator, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires, belts, new tires, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, changed most of the gasket seals - transmission, oil pan, and valve cover gaskets. All the items mentioned above except the rebuilt engine have been replaced within the past month, and I'm currently working on replacing the brakes - rotors, pads front and back, and installing a dual exhaust.

General Comments:

Like most owners can attest to, the car feels as if it's floating when riding down the highway; excellent handling.

Review Date: 4th September, 2014

7th Sep 2014, 03:20

The old (Read: Mechanical) car clocks were pain for all car manufacturers. When digital clocks replaced them, it lacked the same style, but it was reliable.

Do NOT hesitate to go with dual exhaust. The 385-Series (370-429-460) V-8s can breath very well - if you let them ;).

If you're feeling really brave, complete the new lung transplant by going with an aftermarket carburetor - a 750 CFM-or-so Holley works well (the original factory Motorcraft unit is good for about only 600-CFM). The only caveat is the fact that you have 2 catalytic converters that won't do well if the carb runs rich (as Holleys are prone to do). Do that, and you have a 385-Series V-8 that breath like Dearborn intended - hang on to your hat when you punch it!!!

Having said all of this, enjoy this car. They are a (largely, wrongly) forgotten piece of Ford's history.

7th Sep 2014, 04:38

"After driving the car for a month, I had to have the engine rebuilt."

What happened? No oil pressure?

1977 Lincoln Mark V Gold/Creme Luxury Group 460 V8 from North America

Summary:

I Love my Lincoln Continental Mark V

Very soon after I bought the Lincoln the radio stopped working.

The Cartier time piece in the dash didn't work when I got the car.

The Landau roof is pulling away from the opera windows.

There is a shimmy at 70mph.

It idles rough.

On a twenty nine year old car this is great! Only a few things wrong with the car, and I will correct them all this summer.

General Comments:

This car is the most beautiful car on the road.

Whenever I drive it people turn and look.

This car is huge! When I first pulled it out of the garage this year I had to get out twice to make sure I had enough room on the other side.

Driving this car is a blast, It floats down the road like a dream. Despite the massive weight the car feels powerful and handles better than my smaller car.

I hope never to part with my Mark V and to buy more.

Review Date: 12th March, 2006

8th May 2006, 12:37

I know that the Mark V was made only between 1977 and 1979. Either you have a Mark IV, or a different year.

2nd Jun 2006, 12:50

I am the owner of this car. The question asked what year the car was manufactured. My car was manufactured in November 1976. This is why it was classified as a 1976 Mark V.

27th Aug 2006, 09:13

Regarding your Lincoln Mark V manufactured in November of 1976. New car models are typically made for sale in September of the calender year. This is also the case with the Lincoln Mark series. The previous comment that your car is a 1977, 1978 or 1979 is accurate. The manufacture date indicated that it is a 1977 Mark V.

I currently own an immaculate 1976 Mark IV with the Gold/Cream option. I previously owned a 1977 Mark V. Both are beautiful automobiles. I can't really say if I like one better than the other.

Here are 2 links your will find very helpful.

Mark IV: