1979 Lincoln Mark V Collector series from North America - Comments

10th Feb 2011, 06:12

To the guy who found the Mark V with the Edelbrock mods on the engine. Can you tell me where you found this car and what color it was (White or blue)? I had a white Collectors Series Mark V that I sold back around that time, and as I recall, it went to the west coast and was supposed to go to Poland. Maybe it got stuck there and never made it overseas. The previous owner of mine did that Edelbrock stuff, and I never got around to taking it off. However, I will say that if that was my old car, I put a lot of money into it mechanically, so you would have made off pretty good on that deal. I also had replaced many interior parts with nos ones. I always wondered what happened to that car.

21st Mar 2012, 13:04

Actually I'm only fifteen, and I've got a Lincoln Continental Mark V Collectors Series. And from what I've read, they can go up to as much as 70 thousand dollars in today's money in good condition, because there was only 6,000 of them made.

Mine doesn't have problems with the motor... it only has problems with the electrical stuff, but I've fixed most of it, and I got mine for free...

23rd Mar 2012, 08:29

The only way one of these cars would go in that range of $70k, is if it were a museum piece owned by like a celebrity or something. A good original survivor or well restored example could go in the 20-25k range, but these cars have not hit their apex yet. They might not ever get into that range for a while yet, but it doesn't matter, if you love your car, like I love my Collectors Series Mark V, then who cares how much it's "worth"; just enjoy it.

As far as your electrical problems go, email me. miketastic1982@yahoo.com

I own a couple of mark V's and IV's, and have seen some freaky electrical stuff; maybe I can help.

1st May 2012, 21:16

I have a mint condition 1979 Bill Blass Edition Mark V with 58,419 miles on it. I've been told it would go for over $100k. You sound like you're knowledgeable on this stuff. What do you think I could get for this model?

2nd May 2012, 18:25

Was the person who told you that you could get $100,000 for a 1979 Lincoln with over 50,000 miles sober at the time??? You would be lucky to get 15-20 K. Probably more like 8-12.

2nd May 2012, 20:55

Someone with more money than brains would pay 100K for any Lincoln! A frame-off restored 50's or older model would fetch more money than a 60's-present model in comparable condition. The bottom line is... A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can list your car for sale for a ridiculously high price, but don't expect many inquiries...

3rd Sep 2013, 11:12

I'm looking to purchase a Mark V as something I could enjoy on the weekend. I've checked the online sites (Hemmings, AutoTrader Classics, etc.) and it appears there are some good condition cars around for reasonable money.

My main concern about buying a Mark is the cost to maintain. Are there specific potential problem areas I should ask the seller about mechanically (powertrain, brakes, electrical)?

I don't want to get in over my head on something like this, as I'm not what some would say the most mechanically inclined person around. So I am looking for some advice as to whether or not I should go ahead with buying a Mark V?

7th Sep 2013, 00:00

"Are there specific potential problem areas I should ask the seller about mechanically (powertrain, brakes, electrical)?"

Ask for maintenance records! If they haven't kept any, I would be hesitant. If the car hasn't been well-kept, it will cost you more money to get it back up to par.

Add another comment