2007 Mazda 3 GS 2.0 from North America

Best vehicle purchase I have ever made

At about 100000 Km, had some stiffness in the shift linkage due to corrosion. The symptom was when placed in Park, the linkage wouldn't keep the starter safety switch made, and the car would not start. To start the engine, I had to shift to Neutral, allowing the starter safety switch to enable starting. Remedy, cleaned and lubed the linkage.

General Comments:

Pros: Outstanding reliability. Quality is excellent for an 'entry level' car: upholstery is holding up very good, suspension is still very tight, no loss in performance, no shakes or rattles anywhere on the car. Handles and drives like new. Front brakes changed at 125000 Km, but they could have waited a bit longer. Requires very little maintenance.

Cons: None.

Helpful notes: Rust Check or similar treatment every Fall prior to the salt season is very important. Air conditioning doesn't cool the car as well as the A/C on bigger domestics; Corolla and Civic owners have the same experience and opinion.

I expect the Mazda 3 is as good as any vehicle in its class/price range, and better than most.

Review Date: 30th April, 2015

2007 Mazda 3 GS 2.0 litre gas from North America

Reliable, and easy on the wallet

This car has been bullet proof in-terms of reliability.

All I have changed so far were the car stereo and front door speakers, because the factory stereo is not very good in my opinion. I needed iPod connectivity and Bluetooth as well.

The car is used as our family car, and has not had any mechanical issues except for your basic wear and tear and maintenance.

Things replaced: Brake pads and rotors, engine air filters and suspension. These listed items are all maintenance items, as well as your obvious oil changes, auto transmission oil changes and radiator flushes.

General Comments:

Great on gas, reliable, and built well. I would recommend getting a rust check done every year or every 2 years because I find these cars tend to rust in our Canadian climate.

I have changed my oil every 5000 km despite the fact the manufacturer suggests every 8000 km. Also, make sure you drain and fill the ATF; many people skip this and forget about it. I personally use synthetic engine oil and began using 5w-30 at 150,000 km on the car, but that's my preference.

The tires from the factory were absolutely useless; I quickly replaced them because they would not grip properly in the winter.

Review Date: 12th November, 2014

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.3 from North America

Sporty and inexpensive

Stock tires wore out at 26k miles, but see below for details.

General Comments:

To elaborate on the stock tires above: this car lends itself to very spirited driving and I am far from a lead foot. The car's sporty suspension handles so well that you will find yourself taking turns harder :) So I happily take responsibility for the tires wearing out so quickly (and I'm getting ready to replace them again, haha).

There was a voluntary safety notice on the power steering fluid (?) and my dealer was able to get me in and fixed relatively quickly.

Definitely opt for the 2.3L if you can. It's hard to believe this car is in the same category as the anemic Civic and Corollas.

The auto transmission comes with a "manu-matic" mode, which is fun but I don't use it very much.

It has a very deep glove box. More like a boot box.

The interior is high quality, doesn't feel like you're in an econobox. Except for some slight tearing on my steering wheel, the interior has worn and aged really well. While I opted for the base model, it still comes standard with an aux jack and ambient temperature on the radio display (which can be hacked to show fuel stats like average/current MPG and remaining distance).

Rear seating is a bit cramped. I would not recommend putting anybody over 5'2" back there.

Hatchback is very spacious and convenient for toting things.

Not a lot of safety features on the base model, but you can get side airbags on the next trim up.

Review Date: 16th January, 2014