1994 Mazda 323 Reviews

1994 Mazda 323 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2012

Summary:

After owning 3 Mercedes, one Toyota Corolla and others, this is the best car that I have ever owned

Seats show a lot of wear at 100,000.

Replaced radiator at 125,000 miles.

Complete brake job at 175,000 miles.

Replaced both front axles at 225,000 miles.

Replaced Valve cover gasket at 225,000.

Replace timing belt every 70,000 miles as recommended.

General Comments:

A great car. All maintenance has been routine.

The car was totaled in 2003, but because it was so reliable, I bought it from my insurance company and had it fixed. This was at 134,000 miles.

The car just keeps on running. I still get 33 mpg, and I am working on the 2nd paint job.

Review Date: 11th February, 2012

1994 Mazda 323 from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Distance when acquired200000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen Fox

Summary:

Fantastic, as long as you buy from a responsible owner

The exhaust needed some welding, and the brakes were replaced to be on the safe side.

General Comments:

I had this car for 4 years, and it NEVER let me down.

Not the ideal car for going up the ski hill in the winter, but I once drove it 2400 km in a weekend, and it performed like a dream.

When I got rid of this car, I think I had put a total of $500 into it (DIY maintenance, above-mentioned brakes, etc)

Review Date: 25th November, 2010

1994 Mazda 323 DX 1.8 SOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8 SOHC Manual

- Front axles

- Strut mount in the back.

General Comments:

This car is plain awesome. I bought it at 264.000 miles with a 150.000 miles replacement engine in it. (After 250.000 miles the head gasket leaked and the previous owner popped in a 1.8 engine from a wrecked Miata.)

Mechanically and safety wise, the car needed little so far. Nonetheless, I went to a few scrap yards and replaced & upgraded quite a few things.

Peppy engine, decent miles per gallon. Ford uses the same chassis for the Escort, so no wonder that the interior is spacier than you may expect considering the size of the car!

If someone complains about costs for this car, it is because they cannot do it themselves. A good 80% are old beaters by now, and many things that fail are because of a lack in maintenance from the previous owner!

In addition: After ~60k miles, certain parts are more likely to fail on all cars. Hey, my rear strut mounts lasted for 270k miles! The car has no rust, but the mounts were rusted out.

Numerous Mazda and Ford and some Kia models share allot of mechanical and electrical parts so Ebay, junkyards, etc. are your friends.

If your dealer charges more than $600 for a brake job, no wonder the Protege you bought for $1200 seems expensive all of a sudden!

Review Date: 19th October, 2009

1994 Mazda 323 1.6 gasoline from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 gasoline Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Perhaps the best econobox ever

No real problems. Give it an oil change twice a year and it's good.

Replaced upper radiator hose and drive belt at 145000.

Replaced timing belt at 125000.

Replaced the front brake pads at 150000.

Replaced muffler after "bottoming out" on a rough dirt road.

General Comments:

A surprising number of these little old Mazda hatchbacks are still running on the streets of Vancouver.

This car is perhaps the ultimate econobox. It's hard to think of a more basic, reliable, fuel-efficient, no-nonsense vehicle. It does its job with no fuss and little expense.

Driving carefully, I always obtain 40-42 mpg on highway driving, with a vehicle which is now 14 years old.

However the 1.6 L automatic has weak acceleration, esp. uphill. You won't spend much time in the passing lane. I know this because I drive a lot through high mountain passes in the Rockies.

I wish they were still made, because I'd certainly buy another one new.

Review Date: 9th April, 2008

1994 Mazda 323 Familia B6 1.6 carburetor from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 1.6 carburetor Don't Know
Distance when acquired193000 kilometres

Summary:

Nice, reliable, economical

Those faults are due to dumb previous owner who had no idea about servicing car:

1. Cooling system break down (please read below)

And those faults are due to Mazda...

2. AC fan failure

3. AC air intake (inside/outside) switch failure.

General Comments:

Hi; I'm a student so I needed a reliable, economical car with low maintenance costs, and 323 Familia is exactly that.

General comments:

Engine struggles sometimes when overtaking over 100 km/h (60 miles / hour), but at lower speeds it is just a matter of having the right gear in... and listening to engine revs - this car does not have tacho :P.

Mechanically car is sound. I haven't had any major issues with it.

1. Shortly after I bought this car, fan pumping coolant has failed. Engine was not damaged. This was due to poor maintenance from previous user, and not due to a Mazda flaw or bad design.

2. OK... This one is basically design flaw. There is no filter between AC fan and outside intake, therefore dust that accumulates over time clogs the fan. Easy to fix though, take fan out and clean it out. I did it twice already :)

3. Ditto, Mazda's fault, easily fixed.

Inside of the car is brilliant. Nothing is loose, or falls apart, even after 14 years.

One complaint I would have is road and wind noise. But after some reading I found out that this is also due to tyres. Apparently particular model of Yokies I'm driving on is noisy, and I have been told I should drive on Michelin (... yeah, like I could afford one :P)

Thanks for reading.