1986 Mazda 626 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1986 Mazda 626 LX 2.0 turbo from Trinidad and Tobago

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Manual
Previous carSuzuki Maruti

Summary:

A reasonable dream car!

The usual maintenance jobs, the first few years, (brake pads, belts, hoses, etc...).

Changed the entire engine, (it began to consume oil).

Did a 'body job', changed some body parts because of my negligent driving.

General Comments:

This car runs like hell! Since installing the new 'turbocharged' engine, man I feel like I'm 'Vin Diesel' from the Fast and the Furious!

Lowered and tunned suspension, upgraded brakes, makes it fun to drive!

Only problems are there are no parts (like sensors, turbos, gaskets) for my model in my country! And it sucks!

Review Date: 12th July, 2004

1986 Mazda 626 LX 2.0 litre turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 litre turbo Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Rabbit

Summary:

This car Goes real fast when tuned up

The alternator stopped working.

The electric shocks were in need of exchange.

The car needed a tune up to increase performance and efficiency.

General Comments:

The car now runs really great and I really love it.

When the turbo kicks in the car just goes real fast.

I have equipped the car with Nitrous Oxide Systems and if the car is well equipped it will handle performance equipment very well.

I love this car and I would buy another one any day.

I bought this car and I was inspired by the movie "Fast and the Furious" and so I began the journey of making my car a car that I will enjoy.

If you buy one of these cars you will be satisfied, I guarantee it.

You may have to spend money to tune them up and fix them, but it is well worth it in the end.

Also, the police will not suspect anything because the car is a sedan.

Review Date: 17th June, 2003

1986 Mazda 626 Turbo GT ? from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission ? Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

I loved this car I want another one

Things that had gone wrong with the car, were pretty much normal wear and tear, brakes, clutch, the only major problem was the turbo went, so I by passed it and drove it with no turbo.

General Comments:

I would not say this was a performance car, but even without the turbo it still drove at 90mph + rather comfortably.

I bought this car for $700 (US) when my mustang got wrecked to drive over the winter and while I was rebuilding the mustang.

For the 3 years or so I owed this car it was relatively maintenance free except for the clutch, brakes, and turbo, I only changed the oil once that was when I bought the car.

I drove this car from North Eastern Ohio on many occasions to South West Indiana, a sum of around 500+ miles with no problems what so ever.

The mile per gallon where excellent.

Review Date: 15th May, 2003

1986 Mazda 626 Super Deluxe Coupe 2.0 Carb from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 2.0 Carb Automatic
Distance when acquired220000 kilometres

Summary:

A cheap reliable easy to drive car

The engine needed to be rebuilt at 200,000 KM, since then the rocker cover has leaked oil. The flywheel has a couple of broken teeth so when I start it, it sounds like there is a cat under the bonnet. The electrics (sunroof, windows and central locking) have all stuffed up. And the rear demister just stopped working. The hand brake light and the tail light and the stop light warnings are always on.

General Comments:

The car is great for Mums, but if you want performance the only way I get it is with a couple of MC Donalds trays and the handbrake. It handles great and is very comfortable.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2003

1986 Mazda 626 GT 2.0 FI turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 FI turbo Manual
Previous carVolvo 264

Summary:

Money pit with a turbo

I have replaced, in the one year I have owned this car and the 23,000 miles I have driven it, the following:

Rear passenger side brake caliper.

Several stripped bolts and pins (thanks to prev. owner)

Motor mount, still need to do the other 2.

Alternator.

Blown rubber exhaust hose in turbo intake.

Power steering belt & pulley.

Sway bar bushings.

Rack & pinion.

Passenger side front fender (thanks to ice on the road)

Things I still need to fix:

All 4 window tracks.

Rear sunroof drain gutters and clogged, and the car has flooded before as a result.

Turbo burns oil.

Radiator is corroding.

Shifter rattles on freeway.

Interior is pretty decent, but those 80's dashboards never hold up, do they?

General Comments:

This car is very quick, nice acceleration, even though the turbo needs some cleaning up and working on, it still punches pretty good.

I can't decide if the problems I face with this car are due to poor manufacturing or the idiot I bought it from...wait, maybe that makes me the idiot. whatever the case may be, it is nothing that can't be fixed. I pray this will one day be a good looking, well maintained, fast car to drive and not fix.

Stock suspension is disappointing, at first I thought electronic suspension would be cool, but really it's worthless as it's just more things to fix and the car sort of throws it's weight around.

I think it's a cool looking car and with the right work it would be pretty fast.

Review Date: 6th March, 2003

3rd Jan 2004, 21:26

Well, when you purchase a 1986 vehicle in 2002, you have to expect some mechanical failures. Perhaps the previous owner was aware of the coming problems and finally decided to unload it in favor of something newer.

20th Jun 2004, 20:50

I had a 1987 GT Turbo. I bought it with 73,000 miles and put over 120,000 additional miles on the car. Moreover, I was far from religious about upkeep. Sold it and a year later the owner told me it was still running strong. The best car I have ever owned in terms of overall quality, economy, and performance and I have had many good cars.

7th Feb 2006, 19:27

I have an 87 626 GT (turbocharged) and my dad bought it in 1987 before I was born (born in 89) and we still own it, it's 2006 and it has 250,000 miles. GREAT CAR!!! practically perfect! doesn't look the best, but runs real well. quiet knock, I think is piston slap. but hey, it's still running!!! impressive if you ask me.

7th Sep 2007, 23:40

I had one of these cars and it was great. Reliable, great performer, and versatile. When my truck broke down, I put down the rear seats and slid in 14 foot 2 by 12s to carry to the job site of a house I was repairing. On long trips, I would give the wife the wheel, put down the seats, pull out a pillow I brought along, lay down and take a nap. Just about the best car I ever owned. I wish I had another one.