1998 Mazda 626 LX 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unrivalled economy and reliability

Radiator started to come apart.

Locks can be sticky.

Occasional blue smoke from the exhaust when cold.

Usual wear and tear - brakes, exhaust, suspension, oil and belt changes.

General Comments:

This car was about 9 years old when I acquired it. I got it for a good price and it served me well for 10 years.

To look at it stood out due to very nice alloy wheels and the fact it was a saloon in a very dark metallic green, looked almost black in anything but direct sunlight (most 626's you see were hatchback models with wheel trims in a dull color).

Interior was nothing special with black plastic everywhere, but it was nicely laid out and comfortable with all electric equipment. My only complaint was the ride was a little too firm, and I hated the fiddly climate controls. To drive it handled good and acceleration was decent while doing 40 MPG.

To sum up, at nearly 20 years old and approaching 200,000 miles, I suppose it won't last forever and I will likely scrap it soon, as that smoke isn't getting any better and neither is the radiator, but I think I got my monies worth out of this car to say the least, and will likely replace it with something similar. A mate of mine has a Honda Accord from the same year and says this review can be pretty much copy and pasted for his car. The late 90s was an incredible time for cars of this type - all family saloons and executive cars have high ratings in reliability from this era.

Review Date: 6th September, 2017

12th Dec 2017, 21:51

100% agree, these were good cars, I had a similar Mazda 626 that didn't die until it was about 20 years old with 180K on it. The car was as dull as hell in every way, but you can't put a price on reliability and durability.

19th Dec 2017, 22:35

The 1990's was an exceptional time for reliability of cars in this segment. Most cars I had from that era never gave me any major trouble.

You have to be realistic though if considering a 90s car today - rust is going to be an issue. Unless it's been oil waxed and never used in winter. Still, get any car well inspected, especially Japanese cars, they were above average in reliability, though they seem to rust earlier than other cars.

Never had a Mazda, but I kept my beloved 1998 Nissan Primera long term, but it finally came to the end of its life with rust failing it at last MOT test time. I will miss it, seems not too long ago I bought it and it served me well. 2018 is just around the corner and I can't believe I had it for so long - almost made it to 20 years old!

1998 Mazda 626 LX 2.0 liter from North America

Summary:

Had a 1992 Mazda before this. The CV boots wear out very quickly on Mazdas

Having to disconnect battery if I want it to start in the morning. Been doing this since Aug 2015.

Engine light on for 1 month now.

TPS and TPS off - just started lighting up 3 days ago.

The car idles rough, and when in gear, switching gears sort of jumps.

Feels like the power is hesitating.

Spent 4k at Tuffys replacing a lot of things. Every time I leave Tuffys, something totally different is wrong. Stopped taking it to Tuffys.

Need help. Don't have a lot of money anymore to find out what's wrong.

General Comments:

Love this car have taken very good care of it. I don't use it a lot.

I really would like to keep using it well into its 100k miles.

Review Date: 19th December, 2015

1998 Mazda 626 GLX 2.0 from Qatar

Summary:

The Mazda 626 is so underrated

The automatic transmission was broken, since I fell in hole in the street, and it was at night and I couldn't avoid falling in it.

Regular maintenance like:

- Oil change.

- Brake pad.

- Spare plugs.

- New tyres.

Other than that, the car is such a reliable car.

General Comments:

The car's speed performance was OK, and it's faster than a Lancer and Corolla in terms of acceleration, while the handling is like heaven.

My Mazda 626 was built in Japan, so I never had real issues with this car.

The fuel economy is awesome, and the seats are so comfortable too.

I love Mazda, but the car's spare parts are expensive compared to other Japanese car companies like Toyota and Nissan.

I sold the car last year, but I must admit that the Mazda 626 is such a reliable and well built car.

THANKS MAZDA.