1988 Mazda 929 V 6 from North America

Summary:

Best by Honda only in reliability and Lexus in comfort

It was gas and go from the first day I bought the car which gave me no trouble for the first 15 years.

Replaced Radiator 2007,Rear shocks 2005, Replaced Water pump 2007 and 1998,Rebuilt Transmission 2006,Replaced Alternator 2005, Replaced Steering Rack 2005, Replaced Timing belt, head gaskets and Lifters 1998, rotors 2000. normal tune up and brake replacement. Most windows slowed down in 2004 but rear window stopped working 2006

First Muffler 1998 rest every three years.

Heater core leak, broken driver door handle and antenna lifting rod cost to much to replace or could not be found by Mazda or part shops.

General Comments:

Best car I have owned yet. Would keep and rebuild if I could find parts. Not good for cold locations. Locks in rear doors freeze open starting 1994. was never left stranded. Ran 3 days once after alternator died. Computer stopped fan motors or shut down options, but kept the car running and lights on. Gave me indications all three days to take in for repair that were ignored. Same for water pump and radiator. I always received a warning time before failure. Ac still runs very well with no service needed. No rust. Even where under coat is showing from a paint scratch in 1992. Good power and nice ride. working digital dash which includes the AC rotating vent.

Review Date: 21st September, 2007

1988 Mazda 929 3 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A value for money car with a limousine ride

The door handles are prone to breaking and are expensive to replace.

The head had an oil leak which was not cost effective to repair.

The driver side power window needed fixing.

The transmission would slip on the kick down under hard acceleration, but I learned to drive around it.

General Comments:

Apart from some minor problems the car never skipped a beat and never broke down.

Fuel economy was lousy with the 3 litre engine, but it's a heavy car.

Great for long trips and very comfortable.

Review Date: 24th October, 2004

1988 Mazda 929 V6 3.0L 18 valve gas guzzler from North America

Summary:

An endless pit in which to throw your money into

Timing belt ailed twice in a row.

Various sensors including airflow meter failed.

Carbon fouled plugs repeatedly and in a hurry.

Leakage past valve seals.

Exhaust is loud (leaking)

Fuel leakage near fuel rail.

Water pump went out.

All of the above occurred in the 3000 miles I used the car.

General Comments:

I loved the car... considering it was my first. however, considering it's 10 MPG city or highway, its notorious nature of stranding me in various places with little warning, and it's poor interior condition, I let the car go to a wrecking yard for 100 bucks. considering I got the car for free from my friend, and I got 3000 miles of high school memories out of the car, it has more sentimental value and I wish Mazda could have kept it simple. and it would've been a success.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2004

31st Oct 2004, 15:36

Just wanted to say 10mpg? My God you should have known the vehicle needed a tune-up. Or the air filter was bad. I could see the gas mileage like that for a big SUV or Truck, but not a car like that.

3rd Apr 2005, 13:22

I believe I am the purchaser of the 1990 Mazda 929S for $100. I am installing the engine and transmission from this car into a 1987 Mazda B2200 extended cab pickup. I disassembled the engine and found hard valve stem seals and one damaged seal. The poor fuel mileage and fuel-fouled plugs were caused by low coolant due to a bad after-market water pump leaking. This also caused cam belt to fail due to water pump over the top of the belt. The exhaust was a poorly installed aftermarket muffler. The technology in this engine is state of the art for its time, and even for today's vehicles. Manufacturers estimated fuel mileage is 18-22 mpg. I like the more complex state-of-the-art technology used in this engine.

21st Jan 2006, 01:56

Now I purchased a "1988" mazda 929 back in October 1998. It had 80,000 original miles on it, and was in mint condition inside and out! I kept good care of the car since. It reached 214,000 miles now, and still gives me 18 to 20 miles per gallon in fuel. Still runs very quiet, that you can't even tell its running. Hardly put any money into it. This is one of the best cars I have ever had, considering I paid $3450 for it back in 1998! Reliability all goes back to the original owner!

12th May 2006, 02:34

You'll be telling me he asked his friend for a warranty.

31st Dec 2007, 23:47

I own a 1988 Mazda 929 that I just got off my father-in-law. He was the original owner. The car has only 48,000 original miles. I have a problem. Did anyone ever have a leaky gas tank?

5th Aug 2013, 22:31

I have a leak in the right side seam of my 1988 929 gas tank. The leak is approximately an inch or two behind the filler neck hose. I live in Northern Illinois, and the winters are harsh and salt is ever present. The salt splash and snow accumulation from the right rear wheel has caused this failure I think.

I have owned this car since it was new and purchased an OEM gas tank to replace my original. It was difficult to find, and cost approx $400.00. If you can't find a tank, try having yours repaired at a radiator shop. Had I known how small the seam leak was, I would have taken it to a radiator shop and had it re-soldered, or tried an epoxy based repair patch.

Good luck!