1990 Mazda B2200 from North America

Summary:

This particular truck is the best $12,000 I've spent

Brake booster,

General Comments:

This truck has been through 4 home renovations, hauling garbage and junk, and allen block pavers, and gravel. lacks a little in the power department, but she always gets me home. I dread the day when she finally calls it quits, but til then, I'll treat her like any other truck. her purpose is to carry things. not be outfitted with boom stereos, or lowering kits.

Review Date: 31st January, 2008

1990 Mazda B2200 2.2 gas from North America

Summary:

Bring back the b2200

The car had been sitting for some time before I got it so some major work was needed.

New pads, radiator, water in frame...

The rear-wheel anti-lock break system was and is disconnected.

At around 154KM clutch master cylinder went and was replaced.

Steering alignment done at 160k. as well, left front bearing joints and ball joints needed replacement.

Drivers seat is showing wear and need a cover.

General Comments:

This is a tough little truck, I have taken it on roads where this little 2 wheel drive truck should have never gone. the problems I have had are a product of the abuse I put this great truck through. The power steering is a dream compared to the 88 b2200 I have driven with none. one cannot go wrong with the mighty b2200. One can only hope that Mazda brings back its trucks to north America!

Review Date: 13th November, 2005

1990 Mazda B2200 SE5 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Do not buy this piece of junk

Engine leaked oil.

Speedometer made noise.

Exhaust system rattled.

Cylinder head cracked.

General Comments:

The truck was pretty slow, but the engine was quiet and ran smoothly so I bought it thinking it would last a long time. After the cylinder head cracked leaking water into number one cylinder and into the crankcase I found out that this is a common problem with this engine. So I sold the truck for $300 after paying $2000 for it 5 months earlier.

Review Date: 21st July, 2003

31st Dec 2003, 22:00

My 1991 Mazda B2200 (100,000M) seized while starting one cold morning. The engine was carefully disassembled. Number 2 piston was tight in the cylinder and had to be driven out, only to discover the problem was due to oil and sludge build up on the top ring. Cylinder head was also cracked between the valve seats on #2,#3 and #4 chamber. There was also cracks leading from exhaust valve seat to the spark plug threads. The cracks in the head did not appear to cause any immediate problem.

25th Apr 2007, 17:44

I paid $400 for my Mazda with 227k miles on it and it still runs strong! Smokes a little on start up and goes though a quart of oil every two days, but I still enjoy the truck.

1990 Mazda B2200 pickup 2.2 cc I4 from North America

Summary:

A good, stout vehicle

I had a minor windshield leak.

The heater control failed once.

An axle seal leaked slightly.

I had a leaky valve cover gasket.

General Comments:

This is the third Mazda pickup I have owned and I haven't had any major problems with any of them. The first truck was a 1987 B2000 long box with a five speed. The second truck was a 1990 B2200 short box, also with the five speed. My last and present truck is a 1990 B2200 short box with the automatic transmission. This last truck has the engine from my second truck in it, which has over 200,000 kilometers on it and is still running strong. The only reason I'm not driving the first two trucks anymore is because they got wrecked in motor vehicle accidents; I have got lots of spare parts lying around now though. I really like these Mazda trucks. They're a tough, reliable, and dependable little pickup. The only real complaint I have is they're slightly under powered, although a person has to realize that they're only working with four small cylinders. What I did to remedy this was to install a tubular exhaust header from S&S Headers. It made one hell of a difference in power and mileage. On a three hundred kilometer trip I used to use five-eighths of a tank of fuel, and then after I installed the header I only used three-eighths of a tank after traveling the same distance. The truck has a lot more power for passing on the highway too. I would recommend one of these pickups to anyone. They're a great little workhorse.

Review Date: 10th November, 2002

26th Aug 2008, 12:40

I was looking on S & S Header's website, and it doesn't appear that they manufacture a model for the b2200. Do you remember the part # or other specifics about your exhaust conversion?

Thanks.

1990 Mazda B2200 2.2 from North America

Summary:

A great reliable truck I plan to keep forever!!!

My truck started smoking around 90000 miles, but it is still going. I haven't had to do a lot to my truck, but I'm getting ready to over-haul the engine. I plan on replace the bench seat in the truck, and replace it with bucket seats. It's still good on gas. Around 22mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. I've had the truck painted after I wrecked it, but it's good as new now.

General Comments:

Although I don't have A/C in this truck, I still prefer to drive it over my Toyota Camry.

Review Date: 20th August, 2002

8th Jun 2004, 12:42

I just purchased a 1990 B2200 with 129000 miles. I only paid $900 bucks for the truck so I'm not looking for the truck to be in like new condition. The thing I noticed when the guy who sold me the truck first started it was a large amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. It smoked for approx 30-60 seconds and then cleared out. He said this sometimes happens when the truck is cold, or has been sitting for a while. I was thinking a tune-up may solve this problem, timing, spark plugs, etc..., and I'm hoping this is not a symptom of a major problem. Does anyone have experience with a smoking truck??? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2nd Nov 2012, 01:50

Blown piston ring or valve stem seals.

1990 Mazda B2200 from North America

Summary:

I would buy another in a second

My brake master cylinder sprung a leak at 140,000 kilometers.

I had to replace the right front wheel bearings as well.

General Comments:

Love my truck and I get a lot of comments on how slick it looks.

Review Date: 8th April, 2002