1992 Mazda Protege 1.8L SOHC 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

The car that changed me a Mazda enthusiast

Timing belt needed replacement

Stereo stopped working (Panasonic)

Rust around windshield, wheel wells.

General Comments:

This car was the first car I ever drove. It made me realize that I was cut out to be an auto enthusiast. The Protege had a SOHC engine with a modest 103hp, but a respectable 111 lb. ft torque, which gave it great power delivery. Never, in its 10 years of faithful service, did it fail to meet our requirements. We drove it to a total of 418,840kms on its original engine and transmission, but decided to send it to auto-heaven due to significant rust (couldn't be helped because we never took care of the body).

Review Date: 25th August, 2006

1992 Mazda Protege DX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Great first car

My clutch burned out in 2002.

I eventually had to replace the whole exhaust around 2003.

My fan belt and alternator both went in winter 2004.

The paint on the car has been wearing and chipping ever since I bought it.

General Comments:

This car, for my first car at 16 was great. It has been quite reliable.

The biggest problem is the paint job, and a lot of 92 Proteges have the same problem.

I've raced my car many times, and won, even against newer cars. It has no shut off speed, and even at 100+ it rides very smooth.

I drive hard, and fast and other than typical maintenance, (which I'm not too good on...) I've had no real problems with this car.

Review Date: 5th June, 2005

1992 Mazda Protege LX 1.8 DOHC from North America

Summary:

I do not recommend

When I first got the car both the front CV Shafts had to be replaced.

Not even two months later both the calibers had to be replaced.

Then I had to replace the radiator because it was leaking.

Now I have to replace the window regulator and switch, also I have to replace the calibers, and my transmission.

General Comments:

I do not like these cars anymore. I don't think I will ever by one of these cars again. I have had nothing, but problems with this car since I bought it. I have had to spend more in parts than this car is worth.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2005

4th May 2005, 09:28

I understand your frustration, but the car does have nearly 200,000 miles on it. Most cars don't quite make it that long.

5th May 2005, 20:10

It sucks to be stuck with repair bills, but considering the car is 14 years old with 200,000 miles, those faults are fairly standard. The automatic transmission on first generation Protege's wasn't the best unit around, so getting 200k out of one isn't all bad. You can get a used one fairly cheaply I'm sure. CV joints and brakes are standard wear and tear.

1992 Mazda Protege DX 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Great, bullet proof little car!

Replaced the CV Joints.

Gave it a full tune up.

Replaced the timing belt.

Hole in radiator caused by road debris.

General Comments:

This is a secondary vehicle to my new Kia Spectra 5 and I enjoy driving the Protege as much as the new car. The Protege has 210,000 miles on it and shows no signs of stopping. Starts every time and has never left me stranded anywhere. It does not leak or burn any oil. Still on the original clutch which will need to be replaced shortly as it is wearing thin. The cabin is relatively quiet considering it's age and the interior pieces have stood the test of time. I paid $1500 for it in 2002 and it was money well spent.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2005

1992 Mazda Protege LX 1.8 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Reliable, cheap, and fast

One of the things that I have found to be a problem with this car is the seat belt buzzer. When I'm drive the buzzer keeps going off, it gets pretty annoying.

Another thing I have noticed is the dome light. The dome light has a mind of it own. Seriously, When I open the door sometime it comes on and other times it does not. This can drive one crazy if they need a light on.

Finally, Only 2 of the power windows work, which is a bummer in the summer time.

General Comments:

All-in-All, this is a great car. I get 30 mpg (road miles) and about 25 in town. Since I have owned it, nothing to major has really happened to it. I think this is a great car for someone who doesn't want to spend to much money on a car, but wants to look sporty at the same time.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2005

4th Mar 2005, 09:49

I have 91 Mazda protege And it has 205354 miles on it the seatbelt buzzer goes off constantly and my light some times does not come on, but other than that the transmission is the worst thing that has gone bad on it (1100$).It's An automatic, but I raced my friends Manual Honda CRX And beat him by like 10 or 15ft so it's still pretty fast. I have also yet to race civic that beat it. Over all I love my car and don't plan on getting rid of it. p.s. It is my first car.

M.Parks.

30th Aug 2005, 19:01

I am looking at a 91 Protege with about 80k on it... Wondering if you think its worth it, they are asking 2k for it. Looks in good shape and runs well. Manual transmition as well. I would apreciate some feedback on what you think. Thanks guys, PEACE.

9th Jan 2006, 12:30

My 1991 Mazda protege has about 156k on it. one of my back seat windows don't go up or down and the driver's side, the window has a hard time going back up. The seat belt buzzer does go off a lot. The engine sounds pretty strong when I rev it. Over all I think it's a pretty good car.

An sering Question: I think it's worth 2,000 if everything work's on the car, but you should ask him to lower the price a little bit.

2nd May 2006, 22:30

I had forgotten about the seat belt buzzer. Most annoying feature ever.

19th May 2007, 15:13

How is the '89 prelude aws prelude more of a sleeper than a protege? it's a 2 door (less sleeper) and it only has 10 more hp, but weighs over 200lbs more. Plus the name prelude already has sporty connotations. The protege has a 7000 rpm redline. Stock. will be cheaper to buy, maintain, insure, are reliable have very capable rally heritage chassis and can comfortably fit 4 people. And to make it a real sleeper, these cars are very akin to turbos and stock internals can take very high psi. has been done many many times.

Bottom line, don't knock on a car when you know nothing about it.