1992 Mazda Protege LX 1.8 from North America

An excellent used car buy, if it's been maintained.

I have replaced the usual wear items plus front shocks, rear wheel cylinders, radiator, lower ball joints and 3 or 4 front axle half shafts.

General Comments:

There were about 4 good compact cars available to choose from when I bought the Protege.

The Mazda had the best combination of the things I really wanted.

It handles well.

The 1.8 liter engine is strong.

It's pretty roomy and very reliable.

I have abused this car and it just keeps coming back for more!

Review Date: 2nd January, 2005

1992 Mazda Protege DX from North America

Man, I can't believe it...203,000!

This car still has the factory clutch in it. It runs like a charm.

The only problem I have had is the seat belt buzzer. It kept buzzing even when all seatbelts were fastened. I fixed it though... I looked under the dash and found the buzzer and smashed it several times with a screwdriver.

I guess I do have another problem. I can't find the A/C fuse.

I have replaced both drive axles since I purchased the car. It is currently lowered and has an aluminum wing on the back... (fast and the furious style). I want to upgrade the exhaust and install a cone air filter. I'm afraid to put too much money in it with all the miles it has. But you only live once. All in all, I love my little Pro. - Later!

Review Date: 13th October, 2003

3rd Feb 2004, 19:38

I guess that's one way to fix the seatbelt warning buzzer. I have a different suggestion. Lift the center console out and clean the grease from the seatbelt electric connectors on the rotating plate. It took me about 20 minutes. Also, if you want better performance and fuel economy, try a K&N filter assembly, low resistance resonator, 2.25 exhaust and aftermarket ignition assembly. Most parts are available on ebay.

1992 Mazda Protege LX 1.8 DOHC from Japan

A really sporty economy car

This Mazda Protege has had a hiccup in its acceleration since I bought it. Three mechanics have found no cure; however, my regular mechanic has taped up a worn air intake hose and that seems to help a lot with this problem -- temporarily. Within a couple of weeks it is back to its old, stuttering self.

Parts prices are high, and parts are generally unavailable from anybody other than Mazda. I paid $600 for an exhaust system. This included everything from the manifold to the rear bumper, except for the converter. I later spent another $180 replacing the converter, again using a Mazda part.

General Comments:

This is a fast, good handling small car. I think it would outrun any Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla of the same vintage.

The suspension is a real treat for anyone who's been driving lesser economy cars, particularly American models such as the Cavalier.

I regard this car as a real bargain, considering its full package of options, compared to the extra amount one would pay for a Honda or Toyota just because of the nameplate.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2003

1992 Mazda Protege LX 1.8 DOHC from North America

A cheap BMW

The Water pump had to be replaced at 122,000 miles.

The horn, which started blowing by itself in one cold night, because of the horn switch was stuck.

The speakers, all four of which have been blown.

And lately a small oil leak from the gasket between the oilsump an the crankcase.

Minor, but audible wind noise at speeds above 70 MPH. Becomes pretty loud above 90 MPH.

The paint has started chipping.

General Comments:

Wonderful acceleration, excellent sporty handling.

Hard suspension, though a tad bumpy, offers gun-sight steering.

And the best brakes, I have ever seen, which could possibly outsmart cars with ABS.

While some may comment on the engine being a bit noisy, I love it, especially with the windows lowered in narrow city lanes. It purrs like a kitten.

The interior real estate is very roomy for car of it class and is comparable to mid range cars.

The cabin is bright and the controls are placed where they should be.

In short a cheap BMW.