1985 Mazda RX7 Reviews

1985 Mazda RX7 GS 1.1 from North America

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous carDodge Durango

Summary:

A very fun car to own and drive

There is oil in the radiator, and I was wondering if the problem could be the oil cooler going bad, and if so, is the oil cooler located in front of the radiator?

I was underneath it the other day, and noticed that there were two arms, one on each side underneath the shock area, and they look like control arms, but when I drive it, it sounds like I am hitting the road when I go over a bump. Any suggestions?

General Comments:

This is going to be a very fun car to drive, and I plan on keeping it for a very long time, if not forever, since it is the last year of the first generation rotary motors.

Review Date: 1st September, 2012

10th Sep 2012, 09:28

Go to http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/ to post your questions. Also get Haynes manual to learn about the parts you are unsure of.

Great car; it's on my shortlist for a fun car to have around.

1985 Mazda RX7 GS 1.1 litre modded nikki 4 barrel from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 1.1 litre modded nikki 4 barrel Manual
Previous carDodge Neon

Summary:

Different, fun, and an exciting piece of machinery

Nothing major has gone wrong with the car other than restoring it mechanically and bringing up to snuff.

General Comments:

This car is pretty sweet. None like it on the road in my area in New England. I bought it in the fall of 09. The kid who sold it to me thought it was too slow. It turned out the carb needed to be rebuilt as the secondaries weren't kicking in.

I have done a lot of work since. I rebuilt the carb, jetting the main jets, and making the secondaries mechanical. New exhaust with header and turbo muffler.

New rear suspension, springs and shocks, front brakes, front wheel bearings, idler arm, battery, replaced the lines from the battery to starter, new tires, and complete tune up.

My buddy knows rotaries and helped me with the work, so I saved big on labor.

Finally got to drive it this week and it purrs. Compression is great and oil pressure is perfect. No rust underneath or anywhere on the car. Once I get her painted she will look mint.

It handles really well and accelerates decently too. Love the loud high revving sound, and people stare when I hit on it. I also get lots of compliments and a few offers already too. I love this little beast, and with TLC and regular driving, it will be good to me.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2010

1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 1.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 1.3L Manual
Previous carPontiac Sunfire

Summary:

Affordable Chick Magnet

Starter needed a rebuild.

Needed a new battery.

Replaced wires from the alternator to the battery.

Nothing mechanical, just regular maintenance after the car wasn't touched for a very long time.

General Comments:

This car is an absolute dream to drive, ladies love it, super fast, quick off the line, gets the job done. Gets you to anywhere you want in style and affordability. The rotary engine is always a wise choice, and should definitely be looked on.

This car offers everything you should find in a sports car; sun roof, power mirrors etc.

The car is a bit hard on gas, but you never waste a single spec of gas in this car, every single moment you enjoy.

The car won my heart, and with it being an antique right away... I'm keeping my hands on my pretty RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) sports car.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2009

1985 Mazda RX7 basic 1.1L carbeurated from North America

Engine and transmission 1.1L carbeurated Manual
Previous carPlymouth Breeze

Summary:

Straight up made to race!

I needed to replace the spark plug wires. Needed new front disc pads. The radiator developed a small hole. oil leak. needs new paint job. interior vinyl needs replaced. window seals got minor leaks, not detrimental.

General Comments:

The car is overall bad to the bone but it could use a little more performance. I will start out with a new cat back exhaust. Then work on intake, maybe a turbo. Car handles well. Takes a couple times spinning some donuts and drifting to figure out what it does since it is factory posi-traction rear-end. Air conditioning system was ripped out so it gets hot!! um other than minor things these cars are special and hold on to one the value holds better than people tell you.

Review Date: 1st September, 2008