1985 Mazda RX7 Reviews - Page 4 of 4

1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 13B Manual

Summary:

No turn can be taken too fast

The catalytic pre converter seized dumped into the main cat which dumped into the muffler. This happened as of this April. Best part is that all of the parts that went bad were all stock! So after 75000+ miles and over 17 years I had to replaced the exhaust system. The only draw back to this is that the Rx7 in 85 had 3 catalytic converters.

General Comments:

My first car was a 1985 Mazda rx7. Since then I have had an 86 Toyota pickup then a 2000 Chevy s10. In 2002 I sold my brand new car and bought a 1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE. And from now on will never own anything other than a rotary powered car. They are easy to maintain and have a longer life than most piston driven engines. Also with the new Renisis engine from Mazda featured in the Rx8. I wouldn't doubt we'll see another REPU.

The Rx7 family of cars are by far the best bang for your buck. If you are lucky to find an 85 GSL-SE it's a light weight car with a good amount of power. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a car that can take the turns with the best of them.

Review Date: 31st May, 2003

10th Jul 2008, 15:03

As someone who has owned 4 1st Gen RX7s over the years (I keep coming back) I have to say that I have never found a more fun to drive, reliable (virtually bullet proof) car... and I've owned Toyota's, Honda's, Fords, Dodges, etc.

Are they hard on gas...yes...it's a SPORTS CAR with a 4bbl carb!

They are only problematic if you take them to someone who has no idea what they are doing for maintenance.

They are so well designed the average talented back yard mechanic is more than capable. The problem is when you try to take to a mechanic/dealer who is used to doing brake jobs and tune ups on Cavalier's etc.

1985 Mazda RX7 GSL 12A 1.1 Litre rotary from North America

Engine and transmission 12A 1.1 Litre rotary Manual
Most recent distance203000 kilometres
Previous carChrysler Laser

Summary:

A great sports car for someone who doesn't mind taking care of their car

I've had a few problems with the alternator. Had to replace one power window switch ($10 from the wreckers) and the car had a strange problem where it would bog out, which turned out to just be the plug wires. Parts are generally kind of pricey (Spark plugs are $25 a pair) but I personally think it's worth it for such a fun car.

General Comments:

This car is an incredible little piece of engineering... the tight suspension gives you a great feel the the road, it's quick, it's fun, it looks great and it just brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. I plan to own it till the day I die!

Review Date: 1st April, 2003

1985 Mazda RX7 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

It's fast, comfortable, and stylish

The starter was screwed and the seats were ripped so I put new ones in.

General Comments:

This car runs great. I hit 155mph in it so far. It's stylish and fun - I bought it for $300 and nothing but the starter and the seats were messed up with it, I was surprised for that cost. I grip the road with it so easy.

Review Date: 6th January, 2003

28th Aug 2012, 16:05

You hit 155 mph in a 1985 RX7? Did this car have an aftermarket turbo installed? The 1985 RX7 GSL with the 12A engine might hit 125 mph on a very long road, and the GSL-SE with the 13B had a top speed of around 135 mph. It wasn't until the 1992+ 3rd generation twin-turbo that a Mazda RX7 could reach 155 mph.

1985 Mazda RX7 GSLSE 1.3 rotary from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.3 rotary Manual
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Everything that could go wrong did.

Had to replace the oil cooler and lines - $500.

Exhaust flanges broke.

Numerous emissions problems, some of which still are not fixed.

Constant alignment problems (due to a collision with a pole).

Car eats plugs and wires (at least two sets per season).

Plugs, cap, rotor, wires and air filter, total bill.... about $300.

General Comments:

Customer service from Mazda sucks. They don't seem to want to admit that the RX-7 was their car. That's too bad because it was one of the greatest cars ever created.

I gave my dealer about $3000 over the last two years. The best they could do is shrug their shoulders. The mechanic who worked on my car claims to have 20 years rotary experience. I have owned two of them and read the manual from cover to cover. I know more about that engine than this so-called rotary expert. Mazda, bring back the seven. Not the eight. The seven.

Review Date: 27th November, 2000

18th May 2001, 23:30

The Mazda RX-7 is the best car I had ever seen. Forget the eight, we want the seven.

6th Aug 2002, 19:05

My friends car is having the same problems, so how can it be the best? Maybe I'm not wrapped in this Fast And The Furious fad, but I have seen much better cars then a early model RX-7. But as for the RX-7, Yes I have noticed a great amount of problems with my friend's engine, such as an unusual about of gas sucking around town (4-7 mpg)

26th Aug 2003, 14:29

I've had my '85 GSL-SE since May of '96 (with 102,000 miles) and it has been the best car I've owned. Sure there are little problems typical of an 18 year old car, but now at 209,000 miles it runs like a dream! I've replaced 2 of the catalytic converters, the muffler & pipe; Tires & brakes (obviously) ; battery; spark plugs (every 30,000 miles) ; I've upgraded the plug wires to "Magnecor"; I use Mobile synthetic oil (15w 50 in summer, 10w 30 in winter) and either Fram doubleguard, Pure One, or Mazda oil filters; I only use gasoline 92 octane or higher; and I keep up on checking fluids. The car starts on the first try every time! Gas mileage varies quite a bit depending on how I drive, but averages around 16 or 17 mpg. I need to replace/rebuild the AC compressor and fix the cruise control, but otherwise the car is mechanically sound.

26th Aug 2003, 18:33

I heard you should only use mineral oil in rotary engines?

26th Mar 2004, 14:34

You do not need to use special oil. In fact, do not use synthetic oil for the first few thousand miles when braking in a new engine. The rotary engine injects oil into the combustion chamber for lubrication of the apex seals. This is why rotaries burn a quart of oil or so every 3K miles (check your oil regularly).

Also, there is no need to use hi octane gas in a rotary, unless it is a turbo. A good 87 octane with a clean burning additive is fine. Check out these websites for very good RX-7 related information.

Hope this helps.

Andy Anderson '84 GSL-SE.

8th Sep 2010, 17:39

New battery, new starter and coil pack but the car won't start.