2002 Mazda Tribute LX V6 from North America

Summary:

A good design with lots of creature comforts, but it is Ford under the hood

The automatic transmission failed at 63,000 miles.

The overall ride is not smooth, although replacing the tires helped.

General Comments:

I purchased the car used. Overall the design of the car with it's fold down seats is a great design. The ride is stiff and rough on bumpy roads. Engine has good power. It came with trailer package and I use it twice a year.

Fuel economy is very bad (14-15 mpg in winter).

Very disappointed in a transmission failure at 63,000 miles. Hint: do not let the dealer fix it unless you want to be overcharged by a factor of times 2.

Review Date: 20th September, 2007

2002 Mazda Tribute V6 Classic Traveller 3.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I like the performance, but am concerned by reliability issues and lack of dealer knowledge

The vehicle has developed a clunking noise in the front end when turning sharp right usually at slow speeds (such as turning into a driveway with uneven surface). Took it to my dealer who said it was worn bushes on the right lower control arm and the whole unit would need to be replaced (expensively). This I did and guess what, the clunking is still there so now I still have the problem and no faith in the dealer to fix it.

Also the vehicle is not well sealed against dust which leaks in when on gravel roads.

General Comments:

Enjoy the on bitumen performance and comfort of the Tribute compared with my old diesel Hilux, but for reliability give me the Lux any day.

Review Date: 5th October, 2006

23rd Oct 2009, 07:06

I have the same problem as yourself. The same advice was also given to me by a suspension/steering specialist to replace the front control arms (expensive) on my Mazda Tribute 2002. But, the front end noise is still there. Have you found a solution to your problem?

Email me at kopack74@gmail.com

2002 Mazda Tribute 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Solid, well priced SUV

The engine warning light on the dashboard wasted no time in lighting up after I'd bought the car. This was traced back to an expensive engine part called the ERG Valve. The previous owner was a gent who replaced this at his own cost (about 350 euro).

Since then, I have had no problems whatsoever.

General Comments:

This car is good fun to drive and has decent acceleration through 2nd-5th gear. It is bright, airy, and reasonably comfortable inside. My last car was a VW Passat which initially made the Tribute's interior look cheap and nasty, and the car feel rough on bumps and corners, but the upside is a very firm ride and a no-nonsense approach to roundabouts. Other reviews have mentioned a sticky/ clunky gearshift, which is spot on.

The Tribute is a fairly priced and OK looking SUV. Modern upgrades to the Rav4, CRV and the new Korean SUV's make the Trib looked dated and sparse inside, but I've been in most of these cars and would still prefer the Tribute's all round package of space, functionality, reliability and drivability.

Review Date: 13th September, 2006

7th Jan 2010, 08:46

I live in Redmire Village, Wensleydale, North Yorkshire.

The 2002 Mazda Tribute is as good as a Landrover in the snow; it has no trouble in the snow or ice, and that is without engaging the 4 wheel drive. With the four wheel drive engaged, it is faultless, which was proven last Saturday; my wife abandoned our Passat Highline in Richmond, and I had to cross over the moor road to get her in 6 to nine inches of snow, no problem at all. If there was a problem it was avoiding all the other motors sliding around.

Marvellous Motor.

Paul Blair.

2002 Mazda Tribute LX 6 liter from North America

Summary:

Japanese scrap

At 57000 km my motor blew in my truck on the way back from a family reunion. Past warranty company is looking into it now. Door locks gave me problems also. Had to pay more money for that. Always maintained my truck for the hole three months I had it before the motor blew. Oil change transmission flush etc. Hoping to hear from company soon. They are gonna probably say they can't do nothing, but I will keep on fighting with them. The big boss in Toronto already said they can't do nothing, I'm not gonna let this one go.

General Comments:

Love my truck having second thoughts.

Review Date: 10th August, 2006

10th Sep 2006, 16:06

It's not actually Japanese, it's a Ford built truck! So now it's Ford scrap!!! These trucks have every aspect of a Ford, cheap, careless and junk. If Mazda moved away from Ford I will be happy. My 1993 MX6 is great, that's why I bought a Tribute!