2002 Mazda Tribute LX V6 AWD 3.0 Duratec from North America

Engine "broke" suddenly at 48,500 miles. Mechanic says it is a broken piston, though it is too expensive to take apart to verify. A used engine with 13K will replace it at a cost of $3200.

General Comments:

I have owned 3 Mazdas and no problems until now. It is obviously Ford's faulty design, and Mazda's fault for allowing itself to be associated with Ford. No more Fords or Mazdas.

The vehicle's warranty is expired because of age. If it weren't 6 years old it was still less than the standard warranty's mileage limits.

Mazda customer service is terrible, as is the only nearby dealer at 200+ miles away.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2008

2002 Mazda Tribute LX big 4 from North America

Summary:

Bad bad

Left driver's door mechanism went bad at approx. 50K miles (just like other's in this survey).

Seatbelt sensor, causing airbag light on (just like other's in this survey).

Car won't stay running when the engine is hot (this is a big problem) and mechanics can't figure it out.

Has anyone see this?

Review Date: 18th April, 2008

22nd Feb 2015, 03:18

In some old cars there was a problem with fuel pumps. The car would start and run great until it reached a certain temperature. At that point the engine driven fuel pump would stop working properly and the car would stall. The car then cools off and again starts and runs normally until it again reaches a certain temperature and then stalls again. Very frustrating. Just my two cents!!!

2002 Mazda Tribute 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend Ford/Mazda to anyone

When it rains, it leaks in the car. I thought the car was from the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

I had the mechanic shop where I purchased the vehicle check it out, and they lied and said the hoses for the sunroof were clogged and they had to blow it out. But as soon as it rained again, I could remember driving home while being soaked with water dripping from the roof. Sometimes, the water only soaks the floor!

The check engine light came on two days after purchasing the vehicle, and I assumed that the car was placed on a diagnostic check, because after they stated that the vehicle had a O2 sensor issue, the light came back on.

The car stalls while in the first gear. Sometimes it acts as if it doesn't want to go in gear.

Now the emergency brake lights, the air bag light and the check engine light are all on.

I've only had this vehicle for a little under 6 months, and I've got to do all this work to it. I didn't purchase a warranty because I didn't have the funds. But even with the warranty, who in their right mind wants to keep repairing vehicle issues. The car only has 70,000 miles! If Ford/Mazda is a head-ache, then who am I supposed to deal with?

Review Date: 13th February, 2008

2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6 from North America

Summary:

Don't buy this car unless you have a bottomless bank account.

Transmission failed at 60,000.

Radiator developed a leak shortly after that.

Check engine light just came on and car is running rough.

Lots and lots of rattles in the back as well as front arm rest and squeaks in the dash.

Very rough ride especially on long trips.

General Comments:

Other than the squeaks and rattles this was a good car. Then the transmission went out completely with no warning. It just suddenly went out when we were driving down the highway. My husband works from home, but also travels. He uses the car strictly to drive himself to and from the airport. The transmission repair shop said they have replaced many transmissions on Mazda SUVs.

A few weeks after the transmission was replaced the radiator began leaking.

Just when we thought it was going to run fine the check engine light came on and the car began running rough. We weren't driving very fast when this happened and haven't taken it in yet to see what this repair will cost.

Review Date: 10th January, 2008