2002 Mazda Tribute LX V6 AWD 3.0 Duratec from North America

Engine "broke" suddenly at 48,500 miles. Mechanic says it is a broken piston, though it is too expensive to take apart to verify. A used engine with 13K will replace it at a cost of $3200.

General Comments:

I have owned 3 Mazdas and no problems until now. It is obviously Ford's faulty design, and Mazda's fault for allowing itself to be associated with Ford. No more Fords or Mazdas.

The vehicle's warranty is expired because of age. If it weren't 6 years old it was still less than the standard warranty's mileage limits.

Mazda customer service is terrible, as is the only nearby dealer at 200+ miles away.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2008

2002 Mazda Tribute LX big 4 from North America

Summary:

Bad bad

Left driver's door mechanism went bad at approx. 50K miles (just like other's in this survey).

Seatbelt sensor, causing airbag light on (just like other's in this survey).

Car won't stay running when the engine is hot (this is a big problem) and mechanics can't figure it out.

Has anyone see this?

Review Date: 18th April, 2008

2002 Mazda Tribute 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend Ford/Mazda to anyone

When it rains, it leaks in the car. I thought the car was from the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

I had the mechanic shop where I purchased the vehicle check it out, and they lied and said the hoses for the sunroof were clogged and they had to blow it out. But as soon as it rained again, I could remember driving home while being soaked with water dripping from the roof. Sometimes, the water only soaks the floor!

The check engine light came on two days after purchasing the vehicle, and I assumed that the car was placed on a diagnostic check, because after they stated that the vehicle had a O2 sensor issue, the light came back on.

The car stalls while in the first gear. Sometimes it acts as if it doesn't want to go in gear.

Now the emergency brake lights, the air bag light and the check engine light are all on.

I've only had this vehicle for a little under 6 months, and I've got to do all this work to it. I didn't purchase a warranty because I didn't have the funds. But even with the warranty, who in their right mind wants to keep repairing vehicle issues. The car only has 70,000 miles! If Ford/Mazda is a head-ache, then who am I supposed to deal with?

Review Date: 13th February, 2008

2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6 from North America

Summary:

Don't buy this car unless you have a bottomless bank account.

Transmission failed at 60,000.

Radiator developed a leak shortly after that.

Check engine light just came on and car is running rough.

Lots and lots of rattles in the back as well as front arm rest and squeaks in the dash.

Very rough ride especially on long trips.

General Comments:

Other than the squeaks and rattles this was a good car. Then the transmission went out completely with no warning. It just suddenly went out when we were driving down the highway. My husband works from home, but also travels. He uses the car strictly to drive himself to and from the airport. The transmission repair shop said they have replaced many transmissions on Mazda SUVs.

A few weeks after the transmission was replaced the radiator began leaking.

Just when we thought it was going to run fine the check engine light came on and the car began running rough. We weren't driving very fast when this happened and haven't taken it in yet to see what this repair will cost.

Review Date: 10th January, 2008

2002 Mazda Tribute ES 3.0 litre from North America

Summary:

A poorly manufactured piece of junk

Control arms have been replaces 3 times since new.

Instrument panel replaced at 73ooo km.

Emergency brake cables seized and were replaced.

Air bag light won't go off.

Broken ABS sensor cog on front axle.

Manifold flex pipe broke.

Manifold cracked and so on and so on.

General Comments:

This is my first and last Mazda product. Even though the dealership treated me well and most problems were covered by warranty, there have been far too many.

Problems began shortly after purchase and continue to today. Lately the vehicle has not been going into overdrive and you know what this does to mileage, which wasn't great to begin with.

For those with cracked manifolds check out your respective emissions regulations. Although my Tribute was not under warranty Mazda had to replace it at their cost which is about $1,500. By law in Canada and I believe the US, manifolds are considered part of the emissions system and must be warrantied by the manufacturer for 135,000km or 7 years.

Great look but no substance!

Review Date: 25th November, 2007

2nd Dec 2007, 20:51

I also own the 2002 Tribute ES and I also have a bad "bank # 1" manifold leaking and making terrible noise.

And my airbag light is 'on' almost constantly, and my 4X4 light flashes constantly & will no longer engage.

But - I have owned and loved Mazdas since my 1983 GLC with 225,000 miles, still running like a sewing machine, succumbed to an 8-point buck.

I will continue to drive Mazdas, but never again one made at the Kansas City Ford plant. Japan only.